Prime Bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kmart, Mar 29, 2014.

1. kmart

kmart Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had the opportunity to shoot the new 2014 Prime bows this past week. I was curious about the thoughts on the new quad cam design. The bow was very dead in the hand and light weight. The draw cycle was smooth and the bow shot very quiet. Speed seemed to be good but nothing significantly different then any other of the bows out there. The one aspect that I found disappointing was the back wall of the bow. The bow seemed to creep and be very jumpy. Anyone shooting one of them that could give me a little feed back on how it handles for them?

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to shoot one there not in my area, I have heard there not speedy but there good looking.

3. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll give you my experience. I was very interested in prime bows and I went to my pro shop to shoot one. I loved the bow but wasnt ready to buy one at that exact moment. So several weeks later I went back and they were out of stock. All they had to say about them was junk junk junk. Cam problems and tuning problems. One bow completely locked up at full draw, cams wouldnt let down. So needless to say I didnt buy one because they didnt even have any. They sell PSE, BEAR, G5 and some Winchester models and Parker.. I was very interested in Hoyt so two fridays ago I went to a Hoyt dealer and bought a Hoyt Vector 32 and I am loving it. Already got a robin hood with it. Now I will say this Hoyt shop sets up bows like ****. They dont do a very good job tieing in the peep so thats its rock solid and you know it wont move. They also didnt have my drop away centered. I discovered this when I took it to my local shop even though they dont have Hoyt. Needless to say my shop is ****in pissed off that I went and bought a Hoyt. I was basically treated like **** and they basically said my bow was an overpriced piece of **** with no speed. They said you should have bought the PSE DNA and I had already shot one of those and didnt want one. Its not a bad bow, I just felt like it wasnt for me. So I have since figured out that they no longer sell Prime bows and have dropped them. Dont know all the details but when I search about them online I hear tons of rave reviews on them being serious shooters and being easy to tune. Only down fall is that they are draw length specific and aren't very adjustable. Whatever you buy I hope you dont run into the same issue I am having. Now I fell like I'm not welcome in a shop that I've been dealing with for 19 years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a few and IMO they are just another bow. And i'll take the looks of a hoyt over them any day

5. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is to bad.
    Just let it roll brother.
    Enjoy Bowhunting and Shoot what You choose.

As for Prime, ... I shoot Mathews.

6. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot an Impact for 3D last year and did really well with it. The bow paper tuned in 3 shots and was easily one of the more accurate shooting bows I have had. It held so steady on the target.
    I think the only thing I didn't like about it was the cable slide system. My cables looked like they were wearing out in that area. The new alloy has rollers.
    Other than that, it was a great bow. I hope I don't regret selling it.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Centroid is 330fps IBO, and I'm shooting about 308fps all set up. For a bow that is as forgiving and easy to shoot, I'd say it's plenty fast.

FYI, Hilltop Archery in Eagleville is a dealer. That's where I bought mine. Honestly it was one of the only archery shop's I've been in where they actually took the time to take care of me.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you that your local shop filled you full of a bunch of bull****. My guess is that they were not preforming well enough for Prime's interest, so Prime probably pulled their dealership. Now they are butt hurt and are going to talk crap on Prime's. My Centroid is awesome!

9. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    That very well could be. I dont know all the details and probably never will. The shop its self has an undisputed reputation for service and has a big name and following. I have only bought one bow in my life not from this shop. Just feels like an aweasome relationship gone bad. All over a bow :(

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how the hell they got that reputation if they are treating customers like you that had been doing business with them for that long like they treated you just for trying a different brand of bow. YOU ARE THE ONE DOING THEM A FAVOR BY DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM...not the other way around. If they are going to act like that over one incident of buying a new bow then I'd flip them the bird and never look back.

I also think someone is throwing around a lot of BS because I've never heard anything bad about the Prime line of bows and I know some pretty hard core archery enthusiasts that love theirs. PSE dealers don't have a lot of room to talk about another brand of bow being a piece of junk....I've known some PSE owners and Bowtech owners that had limbs bust while their bows were sitting idle and their draw cycles are about as graceful as a drunk hooker. (The PSE and Bowtechs I've shot)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  11. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Been with any drunk hookers ? Rofl. Lol

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, seen a few in my time, yes....under my employ....no. :lol:

13. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Rofl

14. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've owned a 2011 Centroid since 2012. Bought it new and love it. I've shot smoother bows and deader in hand bows but, I love my bow. I haven't had any issues except wearing out strings from shooting it so much!

As far as the Parallel Cams, I love them. Never had any issues with mine. The bows stay in tune really well. I think the concept works great and is effective in reducing Cam lean.

One thing to watch out for is on the Impact. They eat cables because of the cable guard. Serve them and they are fine though.

All in all I haven't traded up yet and there is a reason. I shoot mine very well and don't see the need yet. Maybe in a couple years I will. Even then the Centroid will probably become a hunting rig and I'll buy a target only bow at that point.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this. Just filling your head with BS to get you to buy a different brand. It's crazy how some shops are.

I have a couple local shops but one does crappy work and the other has a huge ego. I'm not going to come buy your stuff if you talk down to me. They're so bad I traveled 3 hours just to go to Lancaster archery for a new bow.

16. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prime bows rock! They shoot great and are the easiest tuning bows ive used. I literally set mine centershot, and nock level, boom bullet hole thru paper and it shot Rages, Killzones, Magnus Stingers, and Ramcats all on one group. Right now my 70lb centroid shoots a 450gr arrow at 305fps.

with that being said... Almost college time, anybody want a Optifade Forest Prime Centroid LR with custom strings?

17. kmart

kmart Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hear prime will replace the strings on the new bows every 2 years free of charge. Its a pretty neat thing but also makes you think whats wrong with the the bows.

18. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    why does a good warranty mean something is wrong with the bows? Its called a darn good deal since a set of strings for a prime runs about $175.

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot your bow, your going to need to replace the strings fairly regularly. Prime stepped up and basically said that if your going to step up and spend a $1000 for our bare bow, we're going to take care of the strings for life!!! That's a pretty good deal if you ask me. That was their warranty from day one, then didn't have problems and add that to the warranty. It's a great marketing strategy if you ask me. The strings can't cost them much to have made, considering the quantity they would buy them in. It's a feel good strategy for the customer, because they know they will be covered for their string replacements, even though Prime is hedging their bets that most people will either forget about it, won't follow through, or will sell off their bow at some point anyway.

20. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a lot and I go through a set a year. Put 12,000-15,000 shots through one in a year and it doesn't matter what they are made of or who made them. They will wear out. The recommended time frame of replacement is every 2 years anyways. They've replaced one set for me already. Pretty good deal to me.