Grip Slip Frustration

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichiHunter, Mar 21, 2014.

1. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting quite a bit lately, and I'm dealing with an issue that's driving me a bit crazy.

As I shoot more and more, my hand gets a little damp and since I hold the bow with an open hand, it will slide a little out of position. This doesn't matter too much when I'm in the woods hunting because I wear gloves.

I went to Hoyts website looking for an upgraded grip, but they don't have anything. Most members at the club use a little piece of gritty (almost like sand paper) sticky pad, but I don't like the way it feels on my palm.

Right now, I wrapped the handle with Baseball bat tape. It works well, but I wish I could find something that is made for this purpose. I ran across this.

Sims Limbsaver Tentacle Bow Grip Wrap - Black

Do any of you guys have experience with this or anything else that's not quite as ugly as baseball bat tape?

Thanks in advance.

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot with that glove on. Take breaks to cool out.

3. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean hoyt doesnt have anything? They offer 4 different grip options.... Or take your grip off and hockey tape the riser!

4. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the wood grip get there black rubber one

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    tennis racket handle wrap will do the trick.

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a little funny b/c people on the Bear forum were complaining that the ultra-sticky grip was causing torque, and people were taking them off for a smooth grip.

I agree with wearing a simple glove when shooting. If it shoots well when hunting, why mess with it by adding tennis racket tape?

8. josh97

josh97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had a problem with this and i shoot a lot.

9. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always wrap my handles in hockey tape. No bulk and not too tacky.

10. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I hunted with gloves on I would always shoot with gloves on. Practice like you hunt :)

11. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot better with a slippery grip, it prevents me from torquing the bow, and helps my hand slide into the same place each time. I wear gloves when I shoot for that very reason.

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you grip the bow properly you won't have a problem with torque. A slipping grip will only cause inconsistent hand placement leading to inconsistent shot placement. I guess that really depends on ones definition of "accuracy" though.

Like so many others have said use hockey tape. Wilson also makes a thin tennis racquet tape that is really nice to use. What ever you do get it how YOU like it and feel comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Based off what you said, If you shoot open handed the grip should slip right into the spot it should be in your hand. If you really need sticky grip it probably means you are actually gripping it... And if you feel it sliding when you are at full draw it means you are applying torque to it. Having grip wrap over an already existing grip makes it big and easier to torque. A slimmer smoother grip will allow you to slip it right into place with no torque. Try taking your grip off and wrapping the aluminum in hockey tape. Did it to my carbon spyder and its the best grip ive felt on a bow

14. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with sticknstringarchery. If you are gripping your bow properly you shouldn't have any torque. Personally I really dont think the handle on a bow really makes that much of a difference. A good shooter who grips a bow properly without torque should be able to shoot just about any bow or grip. Just takes some getting used to. On another note shooting with an "open hand" doesnt mean your shooting torque free. I've been shooting bow since I was 10 and I'm now 31 and just last year I really figured out what it meant to be "torque" free. It really has taken my shooting to another level. As for the sweat issue, well I guess everybodys different with that issue. I don't really think my hand gets very sweaty but I do wipe my hands off alot when shooting. I shot the other weekend with my cousin on the indoor 3-D range and we shot for four hours and I had no problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

15. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have to be careful with taking factory grips off. Some are thick and will change the feel of the DL. If the grip is 1/4" thick an you take it off it will make the DL feel like it is 1/4" longer than it actually is. This doesn't sound like much at all but, can really change your anchor points quite a bit. You ever head someone shoot a new bow and make a statement saying it feels like a shorter or longer draw than it is set at? The grip has a lot to do with that. Take the Prime Impact for example. It was designed so that the shooter could remove the rubber grip and have a thinner target style grip. I shot one with the grip at 29" which is what I shoot. It felt short. Shot it without and it felt right. I also experienced it with my 2012 Carbon Element. I took the factory grip off and wrapped it. I couldn't get my anchor to feel right. I just dealt with it due to the grip feeling better than the factory. Felt like I was drawing longer. Hoyts design was with using the factory grip. Ended up trading that bow in for many reasons, one being I just wasn't ever 100% comfortable shooting it.

Wrapping hockey tape will add less than 1/64" or so as long as you don't wrap a bunch of wraps around it. You don't need it thick to add just enough grip to keep it from slipping.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You want the 180 grip. Its the rubber grip and you won't slip around on it. I also feel it is their best ergonomically as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  17. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another option for grip material making its way into the flyfishing world is golf club tape.

18. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hockey tape is the best on my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i like the non-skid tape you'd put on floors and such. it's like sand paper.

i prefer a thin grip myself, but i have ultra sweaty hands so i have it on my back tension release and a little bit on my bow grip.

20. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wanna bet? :) It's the one I have. I've ended up just wrapping it with hockey tape. I'll live with it like that.