Does this actually work ?? Please read.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by solocamin1, Mar 20, 2014.

1. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so i was out on my property today shed hunting and just walking my lines and came across my neighbor on his side burning some stuff. Now heres my question i would of kept on walking my property but something caught my eye he had some camo pants , shirts and a old coat hanging in the way of the smoke. So i wondered over and asked him what he was doing he said burning old layed down logs and smoking my camo. I was shocked when he said that ive never heard of this he told me he does it every few months and it keeps his gear scent free and smelling natural. now my neighbor is like 66 years old been hunting his whole life and he seems to kill big whitetails every season does this actually work or is he crazy? I would think deer would run if they smelled fire or smoke. I want to try it this year with a old set of gear why spend countless dollars on scent away products if this works. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it ?

2. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds interesting. Maybe something to do with the carbon...if smoke carries any? I'm curious to see what everyone else says about this.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It quite possibly could be the smoke carrying carbon particles that act like the carbon infused clothing to prevent the build up of scent particles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The first mistake is thinking smoke scares deer...it does not. That's why guys that smoke don't spook deer even though most people think they're stupid for smoking on the deer stand.

Smoke is a natural scent, carbon has nothing to do with it...it's just something they smell from time to time and don't associate with danger. Someone posted pics a while back of deer hitting a new mineral site after a burn...good example. They simply don't care about smoke or burned areas. Fire...heat...yeah they will run from that but not the smoke.

5. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, it's just a bee smoker. I actually use mine to smoke my bee cloths and my hives before I hive a new swarm of bees or a split colony. Same principle, never tried it on hunting cloths but it works for bees on sweaty cloths.

7. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah ive been looking this up and theres actually a few articles about it. Im going to try it this year on my old gear and put it to the test. Now that i think about it smoke or burned smell would be more natural to a deer than a stinky guy in the woods more deer might actually come in from down wind ive always been skeptical about scent away products like is it working or not. But im gona put them both to the test this year smoked camo vs scent away sprayed camo.

8. CoryTN

CoryTN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a buddy that smokes his close beside a fire...He kills more deer and bigger deer than anyone else i know around my town.

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was a kid before scent elimination, we would make a small fire in the yard and stand over it for a few minutes to help with scent. Get some green branches and get the smoke rolling and stand down wind right in the smoke with our hunting clothes on. We would also wash our clothing in baking soda and hang them in pine trees when we weren't hunting. Much easier with all the new shampoos and scent eliminating sprays.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My grandpa was the same way. Smoked on stand and was always first to be dragging a deer.

11. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    If it works so well why spend money on products when wood and branches are free lol ? I can't wait to try it if it works as good as im hearing I'll save so much money not buying scent away products.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Different modes of action....I don't really like smelling like smoke all the time..scent products are generally scent free and odor eliminators, not cover scents. Smoke will work but I'd prefer to have a few hours a year when I don't actually smell like smoke, lol.

13. bigwoodsbowhunter

bigwoodsbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The first mistake is thinking smoke scares deer...it does not. That's why guys that smoke don't spook deer even though most people think they're stupid for smoking on the deer stand.

Really? Just because you smoke on stand does not mean deer are not spooked, it most likely has to do with being downwind of deer. Or maybe it has to do with where you hunt, if that happens to be where the deer are use to the smell of smoke. I thought the same thing when I use to smoke but when I quit 3 years ago I can say that I've never seen so many deer and actually have taken my best buck to date, so you can put me with the group who disagrees with that theory.

14. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This tactic has been around forever.

I personally don't like smelling like a bonfire all the time, so I choose scent control and playing the wind.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Disagree with it all you want, I couldn't care less. I don't smoke but my dad has always been a heavy smoker and is the hardest core deer killing machine I've ever seen. I've hunted with other smokers and it just doesn't bother deer...other stuff does, movement, bad breath, etc... Smoke doesn't from my experience.

16. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, been using the Scent Smoker Scent Elimination System scentsmoker for quite a few years now with success. I don't think I would ever go back to using carbon lined clothing, etc.. I still go through a scent killing ritual before applying the smoke to my clothing, equipment and my body.

17. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I heat with wood using a outside wood boiler my best stand is 70 yd to the south and up hill I can tell you that the smell of a wood fire will not deter a deer they go by me later in the season and it will be a fog of smoke on some days I do not try to smell like the smoke I go for scentless and try to blend in

18. bigwoodsbowhunter

bigwoodsbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Disagree with it all you want, I couldn't care less. I don't smoke but my dad has always been a heavy smoker and is the hardest core deer killing machine I've ever seen. I've hunted with other smokers and it just doesn't bother deer...other stuff does, movement, bad breath, etc... Smoke doesn't from my experience.

Calm down, just giving my opinion, that's what this thread is for. Sorry if I offended anyone.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    No need to calm down I wasn't worked up, we're good...people can disagree without it being a flame war. I was just saying it's fine that you disagree with my opinion but my opinion is my opinion because of this example. I know a lot of people that still think smoke scares deer, I just disagree....no biggie.

20. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a little story about my dad, smoking and bowhunting. Years ago when I started hunting he smoked and would smoke while sitting in ground blinds that usually were just dead falls or brush piles he would put together to break up his outline. Many times over the years he would have such unbelievable encounters with deer, deer that would approach from every direction and quite often from directly down wind. Many times he would be the only one in our group who killed a deer, often more than one and even more funny, he often had to lay a cigarette down that was lit so he could make a shot. All of us used to complain to him about the smoke and how he needed to quit, would make him a better hunter and all LOL.

Over 10 years ago he finally quit smoking, all up to that point he never had much of a problem getting a deer for the freezer and often that deer would come from down wind. The first few seasons of him being a non-smoker were tough on him as he found he was getting busted well before deer would get close, mostly down wind of him. He went through the driest spell he ever knew when it came to getting a deer with his bow. Was it coincidence?? I don't think so. Because he started back smoking a couple years ago and soon he was having those close encounters he was used to again. Now that he is older he doesn't worry much about shooting deer but he sure enjoys the way he still have deer walk within feet of him at times and never seem to know he is there. Now I would never say people should start smoking cigarettes and for him I sure wish he would quit again but it's funny how all the years I *****ed about him smoking and now I smoke my clothing with hickory chips....yeah he thinks it's funny too.