Keep Working At It

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sycamoretwitch, Mar 15, 2014.

1. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is to those hunters who are maybe fairly new to the sport (5 years or less) and or those that just really don't have deep pockets and access to good hunting land is hard to come by.

As the 2014 season is upon us I enter my 5th season as an avid whitetail and turkey hunter. I have been lucky enough to have a land owner the past 4 seasons who not only lets me hunt his land free of charge but also allows me to food plot - which are two things I have a huge passion for. That said, the hunting property is marginal at best - I have my fair shair of jaw dropping trail camera photos but with only 50 total acres and maybe only 15 or so of those being wooded acres its just a really difficult property to hunt. Also deal with a lot of houses in the area and people with dogs and just a lot of distractions that make you feel like your playing a video game more than actually in the woods hunting! It's just not always peaceful. I have taken many doe on the property but never had a shot on a buck that I wanted to take on this piece of land.

I've continued to look for land to hunt every year and have had several people give permission but just haven't been able to get access to good land - the situations haven't been right and its been a frusturating process. To the point that I've had my house up for sale just so I could buy my own hunting land - that has also been a difficult process and hasn't proved to be doable at this time - atleast affording the kind of hunting property I want!

Fast forward to this week, my dad gets a text from a good friend (who he does business with) whom I have met only a few times and says "have your son call me its about hunting". My dad has never mentioned a thing to his friend about letting me hunt - he just wouldn't and shouldn't do that. His friend and I have talked about hunting and he knows we share the same passion for it but I wasn't going to ask him to hunt on his land that he already hunts!

So I call him up and he proceeds to tell me how anal he is about his land and letting people hunt on it and what not - but says, I got to thinking it sure would be nice to have someone to hunt with when I do hunt and I really just don't get out as much as I use to so your welcome to come out anytime!!! Like really?!?!

So I go out today and walk the property with him and he says, I've got 3 new ladder stands in the garage we can put those up where ever you want and that he has a half dozen trail cameras I can run and the biggest kicker of all - that 40 wooded acres up front, if you go talk to the guy that owns it (my buddy just bought his property 2 years ago and built a home on it) I haven't ever met him but if he will let you lease it from him for a grand or so I will pay for it!!

So just when you think this sort of thing doesn't happen for you, something like this happens and it reminds me that the Lord has blessed me and this world with good folks! You don't always have to ask for something for it to work out for you - be real with people and sometimes it will have a lasting impact on someone and something like this will come of it. If nothing else, a good friendship!

So to anyone that cares keep working at it and God Bless!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome good luck. We are lucky enough to have our own land

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man that's awesome. Congratulations. I love hearing stories like that. It helps keep my faith that there is good, kind people in this world and helps encourage me to pay it forward. Thanks for sharing it. Treat this man like a treasure because he is.

4. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome!! Congrats I wish you good luck!!

5. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys! Thought it was pretty cool and it was unexpected, just wanted to share it!

6. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome I hope this season is great for you.

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    awesome! Thanks for sharing, definitely glad to hear it

8. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! Sounds like you really lucked out.