Where do you draw the line between...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Siman/OH, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting and Killing?

Killing....shooting cows in a pasture, shooting elephants, old western buffalo hunting...

Hunting....ambushing whitetails, calling in turkeys/elk, stalking antelope/mule deer...

Just curious.

2. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would think it would come down to the driving motivation of the individual doing the hunting/killing. It can be a hard line to define because it will very so much between each person. Funny that you mention shooting cows in a pasture. My uncle had a beef cow get loose and we tried to corral it for 2 days and couldn't get him in the pen. My uncle was gonna butcher him anyway so he said that I would have to try and shoot it. It took me awhile to get close enough to get a clean shot to the head but I was able to put him down. While there were some elements of a hunt I would classify that as just killing the animal.

3. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting- statlking elk, callin in birds, stuff like that

Killing- those hunts where thet push the animal twords you on a farm

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it comes down to ones intent. I know "hunters" who strictly hunt to kill an animal.

To me hunting is more than killing an animal.

5. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do have a question not meant in a confrontational manner...

How is hunting elephants considered "killing"?

For me, I try to not dignify the line between the two with a definition. I enjoy tactfully hunting animals. I also enjoy killing and eating animals. Killing, to me, is the means to the end. I am out there to enjoy the hunt and kill my quarry.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  6. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Killing....shooting cows in a pasture,domesticated animals, shooting anything that you aren't going to eat or isn't pest control

Hunting....ambushing whitetails, calling in turkeys/elk, stalking antelope/mule deer, chasing rabbits, or something you are going to eat.

I had to put the pest control in there, because if the ground squirrels return, I'm going to try and get with the bow.

7. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's all killing in the end. The method and ethics that you arrive at that point is what makes the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been learning the less I try and put a label on things or get to concerned with labels the less it turns to bitterness and arguing. I could think of too many times just personal circumstances or thoughts turns to fighting (broadhead selection, speed vs KE, legal baiting, scents, minerals, bows, arrows, distance, fences, plots, etc). For simplicity and vagueness I'd just say legalities for hunting, past that I think everyone would have differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To me hunting is the act of trying to kill something under fair chase conditions. Killing is pulling the trigger on my gun or release. One leads to the other imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's kinda my thoughts exactly. Everyone that hunts does it for the kill. If you don't then why take a weapon. To me it depends on the individual and the game your hunting. Some tactics don't work for certain animals. I don't imagine sitting in a treestand would be very productive in hunting antelope or many of the plains species out west or anything over in Africa. It takes different tactics for everything and some people don't agree with those tactics and say its not hunting.

The same could be said about buffalo or a lot of large game, most times your either driving around or hiking trying to glass the animal and then attempting to stalk up close enough for a shot. I imagine it may not be real difficult with some of the bigger game but if you talked to anyone that's been withing 50 yards of a animal thats big enough to demolish a vehicle there's some pretty good adrenalin pumping. And for some people that's what its all about. Sure its not as challenging but I'm sure there's those out there that don't think sitting in a tree all day and having a deer stroll by and shooting it isn't challenging either.

The true meaning of hunting is long since been gone, meaning for the most part people aren't doing it to survive. Sure it offset the cost of groceries for a lot of people but when push came to shove in order for you to survive its not necessary. For me its more of a sport that I get the thrill from having a animal close enough to shoot. If I only wanted to ovserve, say deer since that's all I hunt, I could take a drive 15 mins from my house every night and see 10-100 fairly easily. Also don't really fit in the "only what I eat" category, sure I'd love it to be that way but I'm not. Even with some of the deer I shoot, if I don't want them I start making phone calls and if that doesn't work they get donated and on the very rare occasion they get donated back to the wildlife to feed whatever. For some that's probably wasteful but knowing what deer or turkey do to the crops my family plants every year to make a living I don't get to broke up over it. Hunting just like everything means different things to different people, for the most part its best not to worry how someone else is doing somthing and move on. Just like what I said above sure that's gonna rub some wrong but it'll be alright.

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Too me, its no different then shooting a cow in a pasture that's munching on its cud and staring at you through the fence.

I eat alot of beef, but i dont claim to hunt cows...see what im getting at?

12. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Eh, Kinda.

I would consider the act of culling elephants to be flat out killing. Necessary killing. But killing none the less. I work with a gentlemen who used to be a PH in Africa and has been involved in a few cullings. Its utter madness and basically pure filth from what I understand. Sometimes they will take out as many as two dozen animals.

Now, as far as the pure form of hunting elephants, specifically with a bow, I have the utmost respect for the animal. They rank right up there with Cape Buffalo and Hippos for people killing skills. It's an extremely deadly task and you needs balls of kryptonite. Along with that, I also see where you have more than likely formed you're judgement. Much of the African hunting is performed on large game preserves, albeit very large preserves. Personally, I would never go into an elephant hunt feeling any shred of comfort.

13. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wildlife is pursued by hunters. Domestic animals are pursued by farmers. Most farmers and hunters respect animals through life and death. Killing is apart of surviving and is a must. I draw the line on killing when the animal is not respected during life or death and if the animal is not used for the highest and best purpose it provides.

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To me, the line I won't cross is between killing animals for a purpose and killing animals just for the sport and challenge of killing them. I don't kill anything just for the hell of it, if killing a particular animal serves no purpose to me then it's a waste and poor sportsmanship, ie...killing as opposed to hunting. I don't particularly care if an animal is domesticated or wild...either way the same ideology fits.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If something can be legally hunted then I am ok with it but I personally only hunt for food (and would for self defense also if the issue came about). I also hunt predators of the game I hunt like racoons, fisher, yotes, etc.

16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Difference for me. Hunting is taking legal game. Killing is when I shot my neighbors dog for trying to attack my son on my property after being told multiple times it was aggressive and in my yard

17. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dead is dead... killing is the act of taking life. Be that under the guise of sport , self defence , wanton waste or subsistence its still the same end result.

I don't like cricket, but I do like baseball. Does'nt mean that the guy that plays cricket is less of a sportsman than I am...

To me hunting is the act of trying to kill what you hunt with legal fair chase methods .

Ethical is a word found in your own concence. Some have one some don't...

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me it comes down to two factors:
    1-Fair Chase
    2-Hunter's Intent

19. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Not to stir the pot, red-squirrels are on my hit list. Forget the .22, I go straight for the 12g turkey gun.

Since they got into my garage a few years back, I'm prejudice and terminate them with EXTREME prejudice. Even thou that was many generations ago... I fear the stories of a warm garage, gets past down from generations to generations. One could call it a hate crime.

MOBU

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014