Safer in my Climber

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mab, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not one to 'keep up' on new items as they get brought out on the market. The sad thing is, the item(s) I am referring to have probably been out a while. LOL.
    What I am talking about are Lifelines/Safety lines used for climbing up/down to and from your stand. Think I have read where they have something that someone could use while in a climber. I kept wondering how someone would use something like that with a climber. Could see how it would be used with a hang-on...but not with a climber.
    Could someone point me in the right direction on this particular item? I would definitely be much safer if I could get something like that. Thanks in advance.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    as long as you use a tree strap connected to your safety harness in a climber, you are 100% attached to the tree. a lifeline doesn't make to much sense in a climber, more of a pain in the butt IMO

Hunter Safety Systems Rope Style Tree Strap

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a rope/prussic knot setup for my climber. Its not lifeline length, just long enough to use and adjust as I climb up and down the tree. Its safe, convenient and does not hinder me in anyway.

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you purchase one or build it? What length is it? Can you post a photo of it? I'm interested in trying something like that.

6. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Muzzyman...Can you post a pic? Would like to see what you got and how it works. Thanks.

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    it's the same thing in my link I posted. I'll make a quick video for you tomorrow if you'd like.

8. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lifelines are meant for stationary stands. While using a climber, connect a lineman's rope/strap to the tether on your safety harness and slide it up with you as you ascend and down with you as you descend. It makes the process a bit more tedious but there is zero chance of breaking your neck.

9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Great Advice^

12. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I seen these a couple years ago at the Illinois deer and turkey expo. Really a great idea, I thought the same thing when I seen them, that they would be great to use with a climber. I never bought one though, I have just been using my hss tree rope. It can be a little pain to move as your climbing, but I'm ok with it considering if I slip, I know I'm not going very var.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Relic

Relic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to buy a couple HSS life lines a couple of years ago for about $10 each. I use one for hang on stands and the other for my climber...I cut that one down to about 6' in length, attach it to my harness and just slide it up with me as I go..when I get to the height I wanna hunt, I push it up the tree above my head and pull it tight so I dont have to disconnect and reconnect to a different tree strap. I tried it full length at first but it was just to much hangin around. Had I not got them so cheap I'd still be using just a lineman's strap. I've got a different harness this year{muddy outdoors} and it came with different straps...If I like them I'll use them instead of my modified life line system.

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To everyone that asked...

Summit Seat-O-The-Pants Safety Rope

Wrap it around the tree, put the tag with the prussic not through the loop to secure to tree and clip into the prussic knot. Slides up and down the tree easily and is a breeze to adjust as you need it. Most of all... 100% connection to the tree.