Releases and whats the benefits and difference ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by solocamin1, Mar 12, 2014.

1. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been shooting a bow for many years now and ive always used a wrist strap style release with a trigger ive been using the tru ball beast ll but i was thinking of changing this year im not sure if i want to stick with that style or try the 3 or 4 finger style release i was wondering does it feel the same when anchored and shooting and is there any benefits to this style also do you have any recomendations for both styles i would like one i can adjust to my style of shooting thanx.

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a difference. Your anchors feel different. It takes a little getting use to. I personally think its a more solid anchor. If you buy one that latches onto the Dloop when hunting you can hook it and let it hang that way when it's time you just grab the release and draw. Never even take your eyes of your target that way.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually ended up going back to a wrist release after many weeks at a thumb trigger. It was an uncomfortable feel for me and I would try to change my hand position at full draw to get a more comfortable grip which messed with my shooting. However I did like the very heavy trigger with no travel so after some consideration (and rave reviews from coveymaster and tfox) I bought a carter rx-1 wrist strap release and I absolutely love it, it actually shrank my groups and I am stacking arrows. Give it a look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched over to a thumb release and def never going back to a figure strap on anymore. Better for hunting for sure. It takes some getting used to but well worth it. Honestly try some different ones out before you buy. I would consider investing in a very nice thumbheld one like a Scott Exxus or Stan Pro. I had a trufire hunter and the trigger is night and day worse compared to a high quality one. Granted they are around $200 but you def get what you pay for. Trust me on this one

5. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you had me up till that

6. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Dislikes Received:
    If you go on Ebay or AT forums you can find them a little cheaper but its one of the better archery investments you will ever make.

7. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been looking into them i like the 4 finger versions and maybe one thatll stay cliped on the d loop i was looking at the scotts and spot hoggs im just worried about if when my anchor changes if itll be comfortable for me to shoot are they adjustable ? I like a medium to lighter trigger i dont like heavy triggers.

8. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Dislikes Received:
    Yes many of the thumb releases are adjustable. My Scott you can move the thumb part up or down into any position you like. The sensitivity of the trigger can also be adjusted. Ill never switch or get another release. Between 3 or 4 finger you have to experiment your self and see what feels best. To me it don't make much difference between the two.

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot all kinds of releases and done pretty well with them all. But for some reason, I prefer a wrist strap for hunting. I'm just more comfortable and confident with it.

I use the carter rx1 and imo carter has the best triggers on the market. I love the interchangeable springs of the ITS system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

10. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Thats all ive ever shot are the wrist style ones i shoot great with mine and everything its just getting a little old and beat up so i thought i might see whats out there ill have to check out the carters that sounds like something i would like i want to be able to adjust it to exactly how i want it to feel ill prob stick with the wrist style i feel so comfortable with them being ive shot one the whole entire time ive bow hunted having put alot of thought into it changing my anchor point would be like starting to hunt and shoot all over again and i really dont want to change my anchor point.

11. Iowah

Iowah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the hand held release but they feel like there gonna jump out of your hand. But I also have had the beast 2 release but sold it and got a Spot Hogg wise guy.

12. backwoodsbucks22

backwoodsbucks22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its personal preference. You have to try both before you buy. Personally, I could never go back to a wrist strap. My groups are so much better with a thumb release. I never punch the trigger anymore and I never flinch. I realize this is all probably mental but either way, when I shoot with a thumb release, I shoot way better.

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you shoot back tension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have both a Tru Fire Hardcore Max and a Tru Fire Hardcore 4 finger. I love my 4 finger so much better. I don't ever pick up my Hardcore Max anymore. I can shoot much better with the 4 finger.

15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like many said here definite try one if you can and get in some practice before season start if you switch. I am a creature of habit and muscle memory plays a part in accuracy. It will definitely feel different if you switch so you want to have time to retrain your muscles before season starts.

16. stuie88

stuie88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a hinge and won't go back. My accuracy is much better with it.

The con is price on the good handheld releases. I bought two Carter releases secondhand, $70 and $50. Would have spent more on good wrist releases.

I would say it is worth trying some thumbs and hinges. And I think you have to try as many as possible before buying because I found some almost impossible to shoot, let alone shoot well.

I find it easier to draw with one too

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

17. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah im hoping to try some today at work I work at a smaller archery shop and we don't keep these style releases in stock to much they really don't sell like the wrist styles and my boss and the other shop tech both use the wrist style also so I talked my boss into ordering a few different ones and told him I would buy one if I liked it I put out orders on tues and wens so I hope the UPS guy has some today for me to try we use the truballs for people to rent or use during practices and we have truball security releases that have no trigger for just drawing bows in store but I can't wait to try these I ordered 5 different ones 3 4 finger and 2 3 finger styles so when I go in at 4 I hope they are there.

18. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may find better accuracy w/ a thumb release, but you aren't going to stay at full draw for 5 minutes while that buck moseys his way towards a shooting lane, while scratching your nose, adjusting your hat, and generally not worrying about creeping out of your valley.

Noone can say that your wrist (grip) muscles could ever be as strong as your back/shoulder muscles.

19. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i shot a bunch today when they all came in i didnt like how they felt or anchored and i couldnt hold no were near as long as i could with a wrist style i must if shot 25 different releases today and i found one i really like alot it feels so comfortable at full draw and shooting it is awesome i went with the carter back strap release itll be coming home with me after work.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. Carter makes the best wrist trap releases around! I shoot the rx-1 and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk