Turkey Decoy Set Up

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Blarney22, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For all you turkey hunters out there, what is you favorite set up for turkey decoys.

Two hens and a jake, a full strut gobbler, nothing at all? I've struggled the last few years with getting a turkey and was looking for pointers for decoy set up.

I've always just set up one hen and a one jake decoy but it hasn't been working for me.

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No decoys for this guy but I am a gun hunter

With a bow I would use decoys

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the past I have always used a lone hen, this year I got another hen and a Tom... are you sure your decoy set up is the porblem?? Just checkin

4. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used lots of different set-ups with different results. The first time I used a full strut decoy I had a huge gobbler come running in and attack it. The next several times I used the full strut decoy I had mature gobblers shy away from it.. If there were one magic decoy setup, then turkey hunting would be no fun!

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Early seasons I use 2 hens and sometimes a Tom.

Later seasons just a single hen. I figured by then the Toms are tired of fighting and maybe got the beat down once or twice. I single hen may seem easy pickin'.

Where to hunt (north/south, farmland/heavy timber etc.)?
    What season(s)?

6. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I use 1 avain jake decoy with two hens. An avain breeder and lookout decoy. I place the hens at 10 yards and the jake at 5-7 yards. 9 times out of ten the tom will bypass the hens and come to take care of the jake. At 5 yards dont miss! I have used a strutting tom before but never had luck with it in several different states. Jakes wotk the best for me.

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

7. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail, I hunt south central WI. I turkey hunt on a 40 acre parcel, 10 acres of hardwoods, 5 acres of pines the remainder is farmland. We had corn on it for the 1st time in 25 years in 2013 so I am hoping that is a plus for me this year. I am hoping they will cruse our property looking for food come spring.

I know the decoy set up is not my main issue, it's hard to turkey hunt just 40 acres. Not a lot of places to move around to if your not getting any action.

I still love getting out there even if I am just hearing them.

I seem to have a knack for picking the weekends with the coldest windiest weather.

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a couple of hens feeding, one lookout, a jake, and a fanned Tom. With a titillating set-up like that how can any Tom resist?

Last year we only had 1 feeding hen, plus the others... 3 jakes waddled in - 1 flew away :nana:

9. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I used a decoy it was a lone hen and it worked fine. The last 2 years what I have done is the night before opening day. I go in an hour or so before dark and do some scouting (I have all wooded property) and make some owl calls and find out where the birds are. I put them to bed that way I know what tree they are roosting in. In the morning I sneak in withing 100 yrds of the tree they are in and sit at the base of a tree that is wider than me. When they come down if they are heading my way I stay silent. If they seem like they are going to go away from me. I make a few hen calls and BAM! opening day turkey within an hour. Two years in a row now.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    and he wears panties.
    :dan: :dan: :dan:

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    A sturtting tom all alone (IMO) works just as good as a strutter and 20 other decoys.

12. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always use a strutting Tom and two hen decoys, or just a strutting tom. It's pretty fun watching the tom get beat down so hard that the 1/4" stake gets bent into a 30 degree angle

13. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'd have to take a picture…i'm pretty sure i've gotten way too complicated…lol…it's starting to look like i'm waterfowling

this season, i'm gonna go with a tom and hen and probably sell my other ones lol

14. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Early season I use two hens and a jake but later in the season those big Toms start to get wise to decoys so your call selection really starts to become important!

15. arrowjunkie

arrowjunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had good success with a breeder hen, feeder hen and a jake. Have had big mature birds shy away from my strutting tom.

16. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a regular hen, feeding hen and a gobbler. I hear the feeding ones are the best.