killzone or slick trick

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dtimm77, Feb 25, 2014.

1. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I know there two different animals. But ive always been a fixed blade guy cause I never trusted mechanical broad heads. But ive heard the new ones open better. True??? Second do mechanical bh take away from pass thro potential. I always want a pass thro for better blood loss. Im shooting fmj at 11.6 gpi at 27 1/2 inch . Im guessing at speed around 280 to 290. Ibo of my spyder is 330. And im looking at the grizzly trick with 4 blades equaling 2.5 in or killzone maxx

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Movable parts use up some energy to open...that is scientifically true and cannot be argued. Does it take enough to lesson or stop you from getting 100% pass through shots? No one could tell you that for sure either way.

All that said I would choose slicks. No wasted energy, very sharp blades, tough as nail ferrule and no moving parts means no chance of failure.

Both will kill, good luck!

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot both and I've killed deer with both. You can't really go wrong with either. Right now I am shooting the KZ for what it is worth and have been very happy. If you are shooting a lower poundage you are probably better off with the slicktricks.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went with Slick Trick Mags this year. Cheap tough as nails BH. Swearing off mechs for a few years until I forget my bad experience. In the process of dialing them in now...

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    As you said, they are two totally different animals. With that said, I've killed a significant number of animals with both heads. I've shot the grizztricks, slick strick standards and magnums. The grizztricks don't fly nearly as well as standards or magnums and they don't penetrate nearly nearly as well as the smaller heads.

IMO, you don't buy a broadhead to kill an animal with a perfect shot, because any broadhead will do that, heck a field point will do that. You buy a broadhead to give you the best chance at recovering the animal when it's not an ideal shot. Maybe the deer moves, or the hunter just makes a bad shot.

In a situation where a deer is shot anywhere behind the lungs, the KZ gives you the advantage, hands down. Larger wound channel, and cutting surface in a single direction creates far more damage than a 4-blade that is 1 1/4" each way.

In a situation where a deer is shot square in the shoulder, the ST's may fare better because they could penetrate better, there's not arguing that either.

This is a hole from a grizztrick on a mule deer doe at 55 yards.
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Killzone Max at MUCH farther than 55 yards.
    [​IMG]

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Dustin stated it well...you have to think which would you rather? Me personally I like to think of those not ideal shots involving bone more so than the tissue/organs behind the lungs, I put a slick trick in a gut or liver and the deer is dying and being recovered if I don't push it. However he is 100% right in those cases a KZ will do some devastating work.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want bone penetration more than gut wound channels when prepping for the worst (deer scapulas/moose ribs/etc). My mindset on this has changed significantly over the past two years. Im also placing much more emphasis on complete pass throughs which I rarely achieved with Rage unless it was a perfect broadside shot. Without that exit hole blood trailing is difficult regardless how much damage it is causing inside....especially for thick furred animals like bear who can soak up a lot of blood before the blood trail actually begins.

Basically I'm going back to simplicity for my setup as long as I can get the heads to fly with my FPs...

8. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you could really go wrong with either using a well-placed shot.

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just got me a pack of Slick Trick Mags.

Not having to worry about a head not opening properly is what made me make the switch from mechs.

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both broadheads are top of the food chain in their respective categories. I've shot deer with both. I shoot Killzones now and shot Rage's for many years before that simply because I prefer expandables. I also killed a couple of deer with Slick Tricks too, and if I were to go back to fixed blades they would be at the top of the list.

My philosophy on expandable vs. fixed is that I've seen a lot of deer shot too far forward with both, and a lot of deer shot too far back with both. It seems the deer shot too far forward (into shoulder blades, leg bones, muscle tissue that's not vital) tend to have mixed results no matter the head shot. I've also seen deer that are shot too far back, and with an alarming rate I've seen those deer recovered when shot with a large expandable. With fixed heads it's still mixed results even when the deer are left for sufficient amounts of time. Just my experience but it's seemed to work well for me for quite some time.

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot 6 deer with slick trick mags and my son shot 2 and I was never really impressed with the blood trails of any of them. All of mine were complete pass throughs. I shot 2 with killzones and the blood trails were crazy, just a red path to the deer. They were also pass throughs, quartering away. I'm starting next season with killzones and will shoot them until they prove that I should shoot something else.
    The holes
    Entrance
    [​IMG]
    Exit
    [​IMG]
    The other deer
    Entrance
    [​IMG]
    Exit
    [​IMG]

12. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the kill zones. When I shot my buck he was quartering away and it passed through completely blowing out the off side shoulder.
    I was shooting 62 pounds at a 27 inch draw. What I think helped was the fact that I was shooting a heavy small diameter arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    It actually busted through the offside shoulder blade?

14. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it was pretty impressive. But it was only a 1.5 deer so he had a pretty thin blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im also placing much more emphasis on complete pass throughs which I rarely achieved with Rage unless it was a perfect broadside shot. Without that exit hole blood trailing is difficult regardless how much damage it is causing inside...
    Basically I'm going back to simplicity for my setup as long as I can get the heads to fly with my FPs...[/QUOTE]

I went away from Rage's to Slick Tricks for the same reason. I prefer cut-on contact for better blood trails and pass-throughs.

16. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys lots of good info. See I will just have to try both out find what I like more. And practice practice practice. See I lost one this year to a gut shot more due to me rushing the recover. It had started to rain. Only second deer ive shot first was this season and blow out her heart and she only went 25 yards and front flip dead. And after that I was hook. After that thought it good to get a new bow. my bow was close to 15 years old got it as a hand me down. Best decision love my new bow.

17. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've only been hunting for one season but I did tag out (2 bucks: a 12 pt and a 8pt; 3 does). I used my Ten Point Titan Extreme Xbow for 3 of them and my Matthews Jewel compound for the other 2. I used Killzone 2" with all of the shots. Really does a great job. Pass throughs with all. Great blood trails...golf ball size entrance and almost a tennis ball size exit wound. Longest recovery was 70 yards. I will use a fixed blade on the hog hunts and an exotic hunt mainly because of the tough skin. I asked advice on a thread about the type of fixed BH and they recommended the slick trick, so I will definitely give it a try. The only prob I found with the mechanical (even the Killzone) is that 2 of them were messed up and couldn't be used again, I guess I hit a pretty big bone.

18. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use both. but i have yet to kill a deer or hog with a bow. :( but i trust both of them

19. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Killzone maxx rock

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

20. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive used rage for years, I prefer the 2 blade to the 3 but I will be trying the kill zone this year just to see if they live up to the hype. ive used various fixed blade broadheads but I found on days that the wind was blowing hard that this arrows were more affected than the mechanicals.