Sell me on a single pin sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jeffacarp, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the itch for a new site. I've been a 5 pin fixed guy since I got into archery and I'm curious if I should stay the course or look into a single pin. So, if you've made the switch to single pin from fixed pins how did you like the change? Sell me on a single pin sight.

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a single pin and I won't ever go back. I love the clear view you get with single pin, also the fact that it's simple. People will tell you that it takes forever to adjust the sight but of you set it at say 25 yards and practice at short and longer distance you may not need to adjust it during hunting. Then if you so need to adjust the sight it won't take forever. If you decide to switch I don't think you will be disappointed.

I would look into HHA if you do decide to go with single pin. I have .10 pin with the dial and I love it it's very smooth and it helps when shooting at long distance having the small pin depending on your eyesight.

Sent from my iPhone

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my hha and don't see me switching away from the single pin thing....ever. like Oly said, sight picture is so much clearer. Adjustment hasn't been a problem either.

4. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll sell you..... buy it or else lol. Jk. I love my hha alot. Won't go back to a multi pin sight ever. There is only 1 pin to concentrate on and no other pins get in the way. If you get one and decide it's not your thing you would be able to unload it easily.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

6. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everyone else that the simple and clear sight picture is what sold me on a single pin sight. I recently bought an HHA and I love it so far. I've suffered from target panic before and the single pin sight helps me a great deal.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an HHA sight and I love it. I switched several years back and I have not sued a multi-pin sight since. Like everyone said, the sight picture is clearer and they are so easy to sight in.

8. lostbackpacker

lostbackpacker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thats a good looking sight...

9. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MBG Ambush Ascent is the only way to go IMO. Some the brightest fiber optic out there.

10. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! It Seems like a clear sight picture is one of the major selling features which ima fan of as well.

One area of concern for me personally....I'm not a speed guy, I shoot 530 grain arrows. I'd rather hit a deer with a slow telephone pole than a fast pencil. My trajectory outside of 30 yards gets a bit lofty. Just how far out can u dial one of these single pins?

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got mine set up to shoot 60 but could get more if I wanted to, probably get 80 easily I just don't have anywhere to shoot that far...yet.

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about that. On my last single pin I was shooting a 500 grain arrow and could get out to 70 yards now with my new setup 27 inch draw and 60# with 525 grain arrow I will be able to get out to at least 70 if not more with my HHA. I sighted in at 20 and I moved the sight housing all the way down and i still have clearance so I might be able to get some more out of it.

Sent from my iPhone

13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a TR react one single, just changed over in 2013 and I love it. They require a certain arrow speed or above for the calibration to be right though.

I won't try to sell you on the idea, if you want to try one then try one. I like mine because I can set it for specific yardages and know damn well where it's shooting without guessing or using an "inbetween" pin. I generally range the most common shooting lanes when I get in the stand and then if a deer comes in I pretty much know what to dial it in at and if not I can always range the deer and dial it in. Process is a lot faster and cleaner than I imagined it would be. I won't be changing back to multiple pins.

14. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly what I was looking to hear! Most of my stands have multiple lanes and if I see a deer traveling one I wanna be able to dial up the range quickly and let it fly with confidence.

In the first part of your post you mentioned a certain arrow speed needed for proper calibration. Can you explain that further? I'm essentially a clean slate when it comes to single pins and don't know much about their operation. Thank you.

15. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know buddy! That eases some of my concerns on that issue! Thanks!

16. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are really intriguing me here, there doesn't seem to be much of a downside to this style of site.

Now, let your brand loyal side shine through!!!! I've seen a few mention HHA sights. I know they've got a good reputation. Anyone have a recommendation on other single pin manufacturers.

I saw the AXT driver single pin at my local shop today. Looked pretty nice. It had bright pins. Any experiences there good or bad?

17. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh the Trophy Ridge React One single pins, like the five pins, set themselves after you set one at 20 and one at 30..the rest are automatically set out to 100 yards but you have to have a minimum arrow speed for their system to work. I don't recall what that speed is and I'm too lazy to look it up, seems like it was 264 fps or something. It tells on their site the specifics and they have a video on it.
    I love mine though I don't shoot it out to 100 yards, 60 is the furthest I've shot it and it was shooting fine there. I like the dial setup on mine better than the HHA sights I looked at...personal taste.

18. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HHA is really easy to set up. set it at 20 and 60 the pick out the correct tape and you are good to go. On the bases for HHA the dial you can move it to an exact yardage but on the slider it is in increments of 5 yards, so its personal preference on that. As far as pin brightness my hha .10 pin is really bright and if its too bright you can cover the fibers with the rheostat feature some of the sights come with.
    Im pretty sure it was a minimum of 240fps for the sight to work. You should step back some more and shoot a little further. Its pretty fun.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For the purpose of full disclosure HHA is a Sponsor of Bowhunting.com and the sole reason I switched to a single pin adjustable sight. To be honest, the single pin thing never really intrigued me that much but when they signed on I figured what the heck, I'd give it a shot. Almost 4 months after switching I'm not entirely sure I could ever go back to multiple pins. I seem to focus on the pin & target much better than ever before. Of course it could be all in my head but I'm sold.

My biggest concern with hunting was having to worry about dialing up a yardage quickly and shoot. My philosophy is that I'm leaving my pin set at 25 yds so I'm a touch high at 20 and a touch low at 30. Anything beyond that I'm not going to rush a shot anyway, so I should have plenty of time to adjust. If I don't I probably shouldn't be taking the shot anyways.

As for which single pin to purchase, of course my only experience is with the HHA and so far I love it. Built like a tank, very easy to adjust, pin is bright as heck, and it's built right here in the US of A. Good stuff.

20. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for a good honest review justin! HHA will definitely be on my watch list next time I'm in a shop. Also, built in USA is huge for me. I always try to buy American when I can. Thanks again.