OT, Taxidermist.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by IAMIKE, Feb 18, 2014.

1. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, I took a turkey fan in last May. All I wanted done was, him to do the fan, and put the beard in the middle. A simple mount, Its February, almost turkey season again, and he still hasn't finished it. I called him today, and he said it should be done within two-three weeks, a month tops. To be fair, he does teach a 7 week taxidermy class. Should I bet upset about this, or is this normal. Thanks in Advance

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Quality over wait time always...my deer turn around with my guy can be brutal unless one of the first 10 each year.....worth it though in 10, 20 or 30 years when his still look newer than some just a year old.

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you took it in .. Last May.
    I don't care what his credentials are, that "seems like" a long time for a "pro".
    I would be patient at this point and hope it comes together but the guy needs to "get up on it" if you use the service down the road.

4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what he quoted me for a turn around time when I dropped it off. I would definitely think an simple fan would have a quick turn around but who knows.

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't be mad. Rushing him won't help either. I dropped my buck off November 5th and still haven't gotten it back. Never asked for a time frame nor do I care when I get it back. He does good work and will call me when it's done.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very similar if not to the "T" what I do with my taxidermist...he ain't cheap....he ain't fast.....but he ain't "any" old taxidermist either :)

7. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly!!! I talk to him at church every week and I haven't even brought up my mount. It's obviously not finished yet so I let it be.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

8. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Toughest thing is waiting....like others have said...when we drop something off we leave with no expectations other than quality workmanship....sometimes we are surprised at how fast things were done and sometimes we are left wondering if we were forgotten.....regardless as long as it comes back quality we could care less how long it takes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Id be pissed, but, i can get my own done in 2 weeks easy, just have to let the fan dry.

10. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! If it takes a year it takes a year. I know when it's done I'll have a quality product. I'll concern myself with killing trophies and leave the taxidermy work to the taxidermist.

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do a little taxidermy.
    My guess is he does stuff in the order it comes in because what you're describing could be done in two weeks.

12. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat as you... Excep I have waited over a year already for my deer mount to come back.

I have just recently started asking what the time frame is going to be... It's been 1 year and 3 months.

13. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good things take time Bro

14. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah It definitely shouldn't take this long but if he has other prior commitments that he needs to get done or if he likes to take his time on things to make them look good. I know I took my fan into a local taxidermist the price was right and I didn't feel like dealing with the fan myself but I still haven't got mine back either its not a huge deal to me because I know I will be happy as soon as I get mine back!

15. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I dropped off my September 20th buck on September 24th at the taxi. he told me I as the first one in, and it was gonna be 8-10 months. after seeing the guys work, its worth the wait. hang in there!

16. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fan mounts I do myself, i've done 4 of them. Pretty easy to do with very little work. Seems a little long of a wait for just a fan mount. If it was a full body turkey or a shoulder mount than I wouldn't worry to much about it. In the future talk it out with the guy when you drop it off and set a ballpark date to shoot for so that you know what to expect. I am fortunate that my guy happens to be a buddy and probably the best in the state especially when it comes to turkeys. Like others have said, quality equals time generally.

17. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Next time I would look into doing your fan mount yourself.. It's so easy and you can definitely save money. I agree with everyone else though, quality takes time!

18. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quality = Time (I agree wholeheartedly).

However... If your taxi does teaching courses, are you sure he is doing the work or overseeing some 'rookie' doing your mount? My dad had a buck taken to an experienced taxi and it was sent to a 'school' for a 'rookie' to mount. The mount looked like it had gone through a shredder in less than 3 years.

19. Bowhunter4316

Bowhunter4316 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It seems normal that's a small mount though. I shot a black bear last November and brought it to my guy upstate NY and he called saying it'll be done in March. 4 months. I heard some mounts taking over 6 months to get done. My mounts a 3/4 mount. The cool thing is he's taking the back feet off and positioning them in a way where the claws are towards the sky. Then he's putting them on a plaque so I can rest the arrow on. The plaque will be directly under the mount. I can't wait to see it. Be patient. There probably was a lot of work before yours and it's only one guy. It'll be worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. outdoorsman24/7

outdoorsman24/7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i disagree with a lot of u to put a simple turkey fan on a plaque shouldn't take any longer then the time it takes for it to dry out ive done 14 turkey fans in 2 months. you should have even taken it to a taxidermist for what u had done you could have bought a nice kit with a plaque for under 60 and had it done in less then a month. for deer that's a different story becuz of the tanning process u should know what ur taxidermists connections are i know several other taxidermists send the hide to California to be tanned which is a timely process if he has the hook up 9 months to a year but if hes a small taxidermist ive seen as long as 2 or 3 years also taken into consideration the shape it was in wether u put 5 .30 06 rounds into it or u caped it urself and u messed something up. remember you are paying good money to have these mounts done there is no problem in giving him a call and see whats going on.