Did any watch the Joe Rogan Experience with Cameron Hanes?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tfarah22, Feb 10, 2014.

1. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did anyone listen/watch this? It is a podcast that runs about 2.5 hours. I watched it today and was wondering what you guys thought of it? I thought they talked about some great stuff.

Joe Rogan Experience #450 - Cameron Hanes - YouTube

2. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, listened to the whole thing. Rogan can get a little nuts sometimes but he seemed to really be interested in not only Cam but bowhunting in general, which is a good thing I think. Cam was his usual cool self I thought. He actually got stranded trying to get home from LA because of the weather I guess and got a ride from a fellow bowhunter. That is pretty cool.

3. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that Cam brings a new light to hunting and especially archery. I really liked what Rogan had to say about people ragging on him. I also liked that Cam commented that not everyone needs to do what he does, that hunt the way you want, but this is what he chooses to do.

4. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I really like Cam and the way he goes about things. Most people that think he goes to far kind of make me chuckle. Like he said, who decides whats to far? All the work he puts into it definitely can't hurt his chances so why not do it if that's what motivates you. He seems really down to earth and we need more guys like that in the public spotlight showing that not all hunters are the stereotypical beer drinking slobs. I think he is great for the lifestyle of archery hunting.

5. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great listen...I have always liked Hanes stuff...and grew to like Rogan on episode of Meat Eater last season. Both good for the sport.

6. Wade St. Louis

Wade St. Louis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i don't now about you guys, but the Asian water buffalo having no limit, and not needing a tag/licence, makes going to Australia pretty tempting. hahahahaha

7. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to take plenty of clean underoos with me hunting those tanks!! Oh, and plenty of drinking water from the sounds of it!!

8. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who is Cameron Hanes?
    I googled him, found his website,watched some youtube videos but I still don't know how people know him. What does he do? Why is he "famous"?

9. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know he is a hunting model for Under Armour.. and maybe for other things in the past.....but that is about all I know of him.

I really do like his youtube videos, and his motivation for being healthy and bow hunting is huge. He always has a really good attitude which inspires tons of people via his youtube and instagram accounts.

10. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You mean paying thousands and thousands of dollars for guided hunts on private ground?

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a huge Cam fan, but do you have examples of his guided hunts? I know he does a lot of DIY hunts, but haven't seen him do many guided hunts.

12. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen a couple hunts with him on private ground chasing elk. I thought towards the end of his Eastmans career he started doing way more private hunts.

13. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He may do some private now. But theres no doubt starting out he was all DIY(an I still think the majority of his hunts are DIY).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

14. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just went to his Facebook page and his most recent hunts are: guided Austrailian buffalo hunt, guided American buffalo hunt, guided grizzly bear hunt, guided black bear hunt, guided mule deer hunt and then two bull elk that he doesn't give details on.

Yes, this guy is a real, average DIYer.

15. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did you watch the podcast boof?

All of his guided hunts that I have seen have been put on by his sponsers. If you are a sponser spending a bunch of money to go and film a hunt, you are gonig to hire a guide to increase the success rate. He is definetely not your average joe hunter. Cam still maintains his job, still has a family, still hunts in the oregon archery seasons.

16. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did not watch the podcast.

Isn't his full time job hunting? I was just pointing out that this guy is no longer the average DIYer, but he sure acts like he is.

17. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No he has a full time job as a buyer for his local water and power company. He is just sponsored on the side. So he has a 40 hour a week job also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  19. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea he is not just your average hunter. I would agree with that. But what do you think about his style? Work hard and hunt easy? He takes it to a extreme that most can not, but I think that pushing yourself like that is a good way for him to motivate others to reach for there potential.

Also hunting out west is not like hunting the Midwest. Preparation is totally different. So each hunter needs t prepare for the type of hunting they will be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    If you listen to the podcast the Australian hunt is hardly a guided hunt. He has a lot of supporters down there and wanted to do one of his Win Cams bow giveaways. Hoyt sent him down there and hooked him up with one of the local hunters/shops (Adam Greentree I think) and they just went out and hunted. It was kind of a last minute deal to go on the hunt. He actually didn't get the bow set up until the day before he left. As far as him being a DIY hunter, those are his roots and what he states as his favorite thing to do. I am sure when he was the editor of Eastmens that he got to do guided hunts because that is one of the perks of the job. He still does a lot of DIY in his homestate of Oregon but You won't find a whole lot of those hunts on film because he specializes in Bivwack hunting and as he states "hates having to drag a camera man around". That also may be another reason why he has done more private land hunts, so that they can get footage for the Team Elk tv show that he is a part of. I also wouldn't call him a "model" for Underarmor, yes he does photo shoots but I think it does him a disservice to label him as that because he does so much more. He is actually the longest tenured athlete sponsored by Underarmor as well. As you can probably tell I do like the guy and I think it is great that we have a positive spokesperson like him for our lifestyle. I honestly can't think of anything that I have heard or seen of him that isn't positive for the lifestyle in some way. I am sure he isn't perfect but before we try to tear someone down lets at least know some things about them.

Rant over ;)