Why do you shoot FMJ's?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grnhd, Feb 3, 2014.

1. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious why so many shoot this arrow even though it has aluminum in it and can bend? I thought that was one of the reasons we got away from aluminum arrows. Whats the reason that you choose to shoot it?
    Like I said, just curious.

2. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinetic Energy...

FMJ's are hardly comparable to a traditional aluminum arrow. The FMJ's will take a beating, they shot great out of my old set-up! I cant recall ever breaking the front end of one, but I have a couple that coiled up in the back which probably would have been robin hoods on any other arrows.

All in all a GREAT arrow is why I chose them.

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because they are heavy arrows that don't snap like twigs like many of the carbons, you don't have to continually check them for splinters like carbons, and they don't bend in my experience because of the carbon core. Only arrow ill shoot...

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ yep. Very tough arrows. I don't see myself switching soon.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I used them, this is why I would.

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. Durable - See post "Cracked Nock". Arrow would not have broken all up.
    2. Good specs
    3a. Heavy means increased momentum & KE
    3b. Heavy means quieter bow
    4. Quiet on the rest (esp. WB)
    5. Made in USA

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3b. Can't be emphasized enough. HUGE difference in bow noise with heavier arrows

8. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been loyal to GoldTip, but after my current arrows are gone, FMJ's will be my likely replacement.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How do the FMJ's pull out of targets?

10. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You pull them out. But if you have a cheap crappy target sometimes they pass through completely.

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First, I'm not knocking what arrow any one uses. That wasn't the point of the question. Use what you have confidence in.

I'm hearing several guys say KE. How much KE does a person need to shoot through a deer(I realize not everyone hunts just deer)? I've shot 8 deer this year and I shot through every one of them. Complete pass throughs. The last two was with a 2" killzone. My setup is in my sig. I don't see how more KE would have helped me.

Someone also mentioned tougher than an all carbon arrow. I've spent the past two weeks shooting at sparrows and black birds in my yard. Most of the time my yard has been frozen:rant:. Its been fun but I've mostly been doing this to see how tough my arrows are. I don't know how many times I've shot the one with the judo point on it but its been several. No damage to it yet. Those of you that shoot FMJ's do you feel like you could do that to?
    Again, no hate from me for FMJ's. I see lots of people shooting them and I've been curious if i'm missing something. Thanks for the replys.

12. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience, they pull out much smoother than carbon. My buddy and I shoot FMJs, and during our league shoots, we pull out with ease while the other guys all struggle and have to sometimes make it a "team effort" to pull one of their arrows from the targets. The targets are all Rineharts or Delta McKenzie.

That being said, I am switching to the Easton Hexx for 3D and turkey this spring and summer, and will switch back over to FMJs this fall.

13. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still am shooting the Axis. When these get shot up or broke I plan on going with plain FMJs or the Injexions with a tight spot. Have not looked into this to much yet. I like one arrow set to my bow that will do it all. I will need to make adjustments when I switch so I'm procrastinating that for now. The momentum is my reasoning and a heavier arrow to quiet the bow. Speed loss I will get over and may get limbs if needed.

14. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The KE gain is negligible... The bigger gain is in momentum (which is what causes them to seemingly wallop the target that much harder when shooting them side by side with a light carbon).

I want a heavier arrow than most carbons can provide for the reason stated above, but more importantly to slow my arrow down some and make my bow MUCH quieter.

It's just a bonus that they have been tougher than carbons in my experience. And even if they aren't tougher, you don't have the fear factor of an arrow exploding into pieces at any moment as you are shooting. Those pics of arrow splinters through bow hands are intimidating looking.

I wanted to switch to aluminums for the heavier setup years ago but didn't want to have to deal with them possibly bending easily. FMJs solved the problems of both carbon only and aluminum only arrows. I have a little over three dozen shafts right now left of the Camo FMJ 340s, and I just hope they are still being made whenever these run out.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too mispoke in agreeing with KE...really like TEmbry points out it is the momentum gained I am inclined to be attracted to.

You asked how much is needed of KE to blow through a deer...as with KE or momentum to be 100% honest you hit a deer in the sweet spot and hit one or no ribs at all (even two really) it isn't that hard. I mean in the grand schemes of things those styrofoam targets walmart sells stop arrows easier than a deer's body will. However...so many times guys with lighter set ups experience that off shoulder stoppng shot...or the other side rib stopping shot or the dreaded shoulder impact or a leg bone impact. The more momentum you are slinging the more hitting power your arrow has...not to encourage poor shot choice but to pack the biggest possible punch for when internal richochets or un-intended impacts do happen.

I know a guy who shoots Grizzly Stick Tapered Arrows from Alaskan Bowhunting, with heavy single bevel heads actually shoots irregardless of shoulder location...the dude has blasted through numerous shoulder blades like nothing and has 100% recovery, so far. I don't condone those types of shots, but it is a testament to how a heavy arrow (coupled in his set up with HIGH FOC) can pack a whallop most set ups lack.

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I think he FMJs can do that and still not get damaged. I have been using FMJs for 3 years now and I have only damaged 3 of the 24 I purchased. One was damaged when I shoot through a Block target at the range and it lodged into a 2x4. The second was damaged when I shot through a doe and it hit a large rock in the ground. It snapped the broadhead off in the arrow. The last one was damaged when I shot at the Iron Buck at the 2013 GTG and I missed the sweet spot. I shot only carbon arrows before, but I only shoot FMJs now. The spike I shot this year was 21 yards from me, quartering slightly towards me and I shot through his shoulder and out the back ribs on the opposite side. I was using the Rage Hypodermic.
    When we were at the GTG last year, a lot of the BHOD crew was shooting on the range with us. When I was shooting the 30 yard target several of them walked over and said "Damn man that arrow hits the target hard. How fast are you shooting through the chrono?" I told them it was the FMJ. They hit like a brick! FYI 319 through the chrono with my current setup on my Z7 Magnum. :rock:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Englum, I am thinking of switching to FMJ's for the upcoming season.

18. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Last I checked...310 through the crono with my Axis. I am soo glad to read this. Things are going to change...

19. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot FMJ's because the owner of the bow shop recommended them to me. With that said... I shoot against several guys that sling light arrows from 70 and 80# bows in the shop and on the 3D course. When I shoot they most generally tell me my bow is super quiet... and ask me what I'm shooting - so I tell them. They also notice that most of my arrows penetrate deeper into the targets than theirs... and my set up is below. My arrows fly at a w h o p p i n g 232/fps - but they hit with a wallop!

20. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    This! ^^^^