Ethics Vs. Dedication

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Nickstuff, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Nickstuff

Nickstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This may be alittle long winded, but I hope you will take the time to read. Do you ever find yourself questioning your dedication to the hobby, sport or what ever you call Bowhunting. Quick back story- Two years ago I got the chance to go deer hunting on a 750 acre farm in central Missouri, even though it was gun season I was determined to take my trusty PSE instead of the 30-06. Two hours before the last day was to end, I had an incredible trophy class 10 point(remember, I hunted most of my life hunting in NW Florida) come within 50 yards right through the middle of a small CRP field. With the tall grass, and wind blowing steady, I could not make myself take the shot. Sure, Ive shot a few does and even a small buck or two at that range, just could not get him to stop. That was the biggest buck I had ever seen while hunting,...until today.....
    While sitting along a ridge that borders the neighboring properties food plot(that I have permission to hunt) I had the wind in my face, back to a very steep hill and a trail that looks like a cattle trail running left to right about 15 yards in front of me. After a very un-eventful morning, from out of no where, there he came, walking WITH the wind. From the one place I would have never expected because of the prevailing wind. He was walking straight down the fire break cut along the property line, and at 52 yards. He was walking with purpose right up til I hit the Flextone,...he stopped in his tracks, started making a scrape, licking branch and all, tossing limbs and all. I grabbed my bow, hit the grunt again and to my surprise, he headed straight at me, till he got to the mock scrape with the Tinks at 31 yards. With his nose to the ground, I came to full draw, but he stood there looking right at me for several minutes. I was fine holding the shot, but he was head on, all I needed was for him to turn just a little, instead, he jumped and ran about 5 steps, standing in the middle of some brush. I let down the draw and waited, he stood there for nearly 5 minutes, then started walking away from me through the woods, I could actually see him stop at about 150 yards and make yet another scrape.
    A main frame 12 point,...probably not as big as some of the trophys some of you guys have taken, but by far the biggest buck I have ever had in my presence.
    Its still gun season here, and again, determined to hunt only with my bow,....two of the biggest bucks in my life have walked away unscaved,.....I'm really starting to question my dedication to archery,....what can a guy do not to give it up, remember, Ive been bow hunting for 30+ years, and no wall hangers to show for my efforts,...anyone else share my frustrations,...
    Ok, rant over,......

2. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    8 year old girls can shoot a deer at 50 yards with a gun. Anybody can do it. Not everybody can get a good buck close enough to shoot with a bow and when you do you know that you have accomplished something. I could tell stories of bucks that got away that I could have shot with a gun that will make you cry. And yet I still grab the bow.

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Go shoot a buck... get it over with... go back to your bow.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solid advice. Do what makes you happy brother. If youll be proud of the rifle kill, do it!

5. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed... I have seen some dandies walk off and that's okay... now... but probably most of us graduated to a bow at some point.

6. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Around here, gun season is all luck. That being said, given the amount of pressure, and the time I put in bow hunting in the fall, by the time gun season rolls around, I am more than ready to be able to reach out and touch a big buck if I see one. Make it an added challenge if you want and use a shotgun or muzzleloader (assuming it's legal).
    A mature deer is a mature deer no matter what, in my eyes

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The buck was at 31 yards
    Standing over tinks
    Your at Full Draw....

Good luck on your future hunts, keep trying.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. For 5 years I hunted with only a bow and this past year I picked the rifle back up. I realized that, to me, it doesn't matter what weapon I have in my hand, it's all about being out there and hunting for myself.

Btw, what does ethics have to do with the original post?

9. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in a very similar situation. Been hunting for quite some time, but no trophy deer to show. I've often considered focusing more on rifle hunting but for me the goal is a P&Y deer so I continue to pick up the bow.

10. Nickstuff

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Dan, thanks for asking because I sorta wondered off of the topic with my own post,...lol I was talking about the fact that I will not take a questionable shot at a mauture deer with a bow, regardless of distance. Ive taken several nice bucks with my bow, just nothing like you guys up north are used to, and nothing I cared to have mounted. My point was, the two times Ive seen that calibur of deer, I was holding my bow during gun season because I love bowhunting. Some have said just go shoot a buck and get it over with, Ive already put a 7 point, three does, and a 184# hog in the freezer this year with my bow. I think Ive just got to seperate my seasons,...lol No worries, got 8 more days, and we will try again next year.

11. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story Nick and thanks for sharing.....

I can feel your pain, very similiar as well as I only Bowhunt, I haven't used a gun/rifle since I was a teenager (and I'm 42). I'm currently sitting on a goose egg the last 2 years, but this year that was basically my own doing as I let several walk.

But I wouldn't trade the time, the experience, all that for anything.

And as I like to say, when out with a Bow for me that is true Deer Hunting, when out with a gun it's basically Deer Killing

But I'm not against anyone using a gun either.... It's just a personal preference for me....

Plus I can hunt the entire season with a Bow, just another added bonus !!!

< Ps 46: 1 >

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nick, I've been hunting for 20 years and I don't have a single "big", massive, wallhanger. I used to worry about it, but I just don't care anymore. I hunt hard and try to enjoy the woods.

13. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    enjoy the plus don't worry about the minus. I didn't get to draw back on one deer this season. in nw fla too. I also don't have any way hangers and I am seeing fewer seasons in front of me than behind me. enjoy the hunting world. its ok to take the rifle too.

14. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I said it... I did not have that bit of info. There's no problem watching a buck walk off when I have a full freezer. But if I really wanted one for the wall... I'd take the rifle. If I wanted a bow killed deer for the wall... that's a different matter. You just have to decide what's more important to you.

15. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They all taste the same anyway.

16. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't beat yourself up for not having a "wall hanger". They have to be there for you to kill them. Not sure where you hunt, but I'm under the assumption it's down south. I could be wrong. Not saying theres no big deer down there, because there are, but there's a reason the southern states aren't known as trophy buck states.

Killing a big deer requires some knowledge, some dedication, some resilience, some skill, and a hell of alotta luck any way you look at it.

Keep your head up.

17. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do what makes you happy. Last year I said "bow only" and only killed one doe and had more than ten out of range on public land. I was bummed and out meat ran out before the new year. This year I had bow stands and rifle stands so I swapped throughout the year, but ended up killing my largest buck yet with a rifle. I'm still super excited and due to my family and work time would have never killed that buck with a bow. It motivates me to scout better in order to get a bow kill next year. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I enjoy the hunt not so much the kill. Had GREAT stalks on many animals without even drawing my bow but I went home with a smile on my face.

19. Nickstuff

Dislikes Received:
    At my age I quit beating myself up anymore,...lol But your actually right about the location. My buddy pointed out that the only time Ive ever hunted where "big" bucks live were in Missouri and now my new lease in Alabama. Truth is, theres 50+ acres of this land I have never stepped foot on because I got the lease so late in the year and didnt want to alter their behavior by stomping around on untouched land just days before the season. Fact is, Ive let several smaller bucks walk hoping to see bigger deer, with only 6 more days left this season, theres a good chance I will know more about his and others habits and patterns before next season, on top of the food plots have not been planted for years,..Now, if all these powerlines up here in Arkansas will quit falling I can go home and hunt the last few days of the season,..lol