Got some good news!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WiRutJunkie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well...I got some great news the other day. Since I shot my buck last November it was kind of up in the air on whether or not I would get to continue to hunt on the property. My buddy and I have hunted this property for the last two years on a handshake agreement and this buck was the first we took off of it. The landowner had gotten a few cash offers and such and wasn't sure what he wanted to do. He finally sent me a text saying that we could keep bowhunting as long as we each put in 32 hours of work on the property. I couldn't be happier with the deal. I am pretty much broke so a matching offer on a lease was out of the question but I have zero problem spilling some sweat. It just so happens a lot of the stuff he wants to do will benefit our hunting as well so its a win/win situation. Soooo...i'm pretty much in a great mood now and really can't wait until November rolls around again because this place is crawling with big mature whitetails.

Here is the buck I took off the property last year. My biggest to date.

[​IMG]

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Win win! Congratulations.

Sent using Tapatalk!

3. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Awesome news!

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    THats great!

5. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    I have been sh*^%ing bricks since late November worrying about losing this great spot. To be able and breath easy and know that I can put 100% of my energy into scouting instead of trying to find new land is a load lifted.

6. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

7. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. Good for you and your buddy. Not many guys that will do that anymore, consider yourself lucky. I'd give him 64 hours of work just to make the point that I appreciate what he did.
    And good luck this fall!

8. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! Good luck!

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right On!

10. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Great news!!! Good luck this coming fall man.

11. Granny's Slaughter House

Granny's Slaughter House Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a sweeeeeet deal! It's what we do to get to hunt good farm land here in PA. We go out in May/June with weed whackers and we just start blowing through the weeds around the barns and clear the ponds for the cows so they can drink.

Good luck hunting this year!

12. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear it all worked out for you!! Congrats on a great buck!

13. Bowfly

Bowfly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great deal!!! Well done on securing that property.
    I have a similar deal with the property owner where I hunt. I help him with mechanical jobs on his trucks, bringing supplies and parts out to him, any work he needs really. Also selectively culling deer when the season is so dry that the deer are competing with cattle for feed. This keeps him very happy as the deer number in the high hundreds on this place. The relationship has grown to where we are now close friends with him and his family. I'm hoping this relationship will last for a very long time.

Rod

14. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you! I like hearing these kind of stories where money isn't king in hunting.

15. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like there are still some classy people out there. Congrats. To show how much you appreciate it, give him 40 hours of work, and an offer to help in any emergency situation (if possible).

That'll go a long way with a person like him and seal up that property for you for a long time to come.

Congrats

16. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You know it is rare in the day and age to see people that are willing to put in the hard work to get something. Glad to see that there are a good portion of people on here that area willing to work for it. Sure sounds like the guy enjoys having you on the property. Keep cultivating that relationship and I am sure it will continue to be beneficial for both of you.

17. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    It shouldn't be hard to get more than 32 hours in. We have to clear brush and unwanted shrubs from in between about 8 acres of spruce plantings. We also are going to be cutting a new 4 wheeler trail so I am sure the time will add up. I like doing that kind of stuff so it should be more fun than work. I think we are going to plant clover in between the rows once we get them cleared out as well.

18. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer, as a rule I never show off a deer or even let most guys know they even have a big deer on there ground because I lost one of the best pc of river ground over my brother telling how big a buck was to a few people. No need to drive up the price or start a bidding war over loose lips.

19. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya but I have a hard time not at least telling the land owner. Its his land and if he asks me what I shot I won't lie to him. That doesn't mean I will show him all of my trail cam pics of big deer but I would rather he heard about a big deer from me then through back channels. I'd rather have a clean rep and less properties than be known as a liar or a sneak. It is a lot easier to find new places to hunt than to fix a bad reputation in my opinion.

20. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on The Property
    It's tough as a hunter to put things into perspective when it comes down to a property owner letting us down, in giving select land to others for a cash value. They need to make a bit out of it when their maybe not getting a sufficiant refund from there excisting opportunity's. But to see to a response of an owner making a response out of a working relationship, is gratitude given back two fold to you as a hunter. I'm sure you will be happy to put in the time and effort to keep up this relationship and friendship that so few of us get to have with property owners. I do the same on 2 of the 5 property's I hunt. Hat's off to you for putting in the extra effort to secure the land.
    Rocky :sheep:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014