Pro Staff

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lester, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just read a post where it was stated that what a pro staff member says about a product shouldn't be listened to because they have to say that. I see a lot of people begging to be Pro Staff here and I would assume it is because they love the site, but I know some just want to be able to say they are on a Pro Staff. I can't imagine pushing a product or becoming a Pro Staff member for any website or product I didn't truly believe in.

Just curious if anyone would admit to getting on a Pro Staff if you didn't like the product, site or show?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ...doubt this last long :evilgrin:

There are product *****s in every field sadly...

3. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While it would be something neat to say you were a part of, being on a Pro Staff is not a goal of mine. I have a friend who is a member of a hunting show pro staff and while he likes the majority of the products they have to push he hates their broadheads they have to use.
    To me if your just a member of one products pro staff yes you should love that product but when your team starts to get numerous product sponsors you may not always like what you have to rep. Especially if your not in control of those choices.

4. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%! Why be a pro staff member and push products you don't back or support 100% If thats the case then you should be a Pro-Staffer somewheres else then. But I'm sure different hunting teams have different perks when being a Pro-Staff member and one might become a Pro-Staffer because of those particular perks, but maybe not back or support the products and equipment the team is using 100%. To me, I feel this is wrong and do not belong on that particular team.

5. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard of people being on a pro staff when they don't actually believe in the product. I don't see how they can do that, but its not my problem I guess....

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also don't see the point in being on a pro staff that you don't 100% back. I have heard of some as well.....but I don't have that problem. I was answering questions, and telling people about the product the same before and after. Same with stuff I believe in and use and am not a pro staff member. Basically if you don't like my opinions or answers I give don't ask....BC I speak the truth of what I believe in. Just sayin'....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  7. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't waste a company's time if I didn't believe in the product 100%. Some take that with a grain of salt and maybe some companies would use staff members who are robots. For me if I were a company owner looking to fill staff positions I would ONLY look for those people who have real life experience with the product, the proof to back it up and people who are honest with providing feedback, good or bad. If the product fails then I would want to know. If it's great then those kinds of people are worth their weight in gold as they are a true testimonial. Of course you'll always have your naysayers but if you live by those ideas and beliefs when selecting your staff then you and your staff will have the respect you deserve.

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think all pro staff 100% think they are using the best product out there. Pro staff is a loose term, but most, if not 90% do not get paid. Pro staff receive product and other type of perks or discounts and are just willing to share for free. I do think (some, not all) pro staff over time quit using and start using different products and in that transition are not doing the business owners any favors. Even though pro staff are not paid I think many hunters would like to call themselves pro staff and a small percentage probably do it for that reason. You can see it sometimes on sites like this. When a question arises about something they are representing and they give a short or no answer. To me that shows something.

9. wi p&y

wi p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just a question but doesnt being on a prostaff mean that you are getting discounts or free stuff for advertising there products? therefor why would you bite the hand thats feeding you. its not like any average hunter without big money or a connection can go out and be on a prostaff. just seems like it would bad talking your boss imo if you dont support the products they give you for free or discounts.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure some of the Pro's that are getting paid to use stuff on TV probably don't believe 100% in some of the stuff they use, but it pays them. As far as smaller company pro staffs...why waste the time if you don't actually like the product. Kinda senseless to me.

11. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great point that many throw out there as reason for not listening or trusting a staff member. If the company only brought on people who have integrity and experience using the product(s) before they ever bring them aboard then it does show to some degree that things are on the up & up IMO.

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You just have to take things with a grain on salt when your reading reviews from prostaffers. For one reason or another they chose to be affiliated with a product or company so it's only to be expected they will advocate for them. Keeping that in mind I don't feel you will get the same level of objectivity out of them in most respects. For example if they are only using one brand of product then their scope is very narrow, and if they received a discount or the product for free then there sense of value maybe different then the consumer that is paying retail prices.

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Reminds me of a post last year where a guy was asking for info on how to become a staffer for a specific Co. He had never used their product and knew zero about them.....

14. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great point and with all of the different items involved I could see where someone could want to remain a part of the show without liking every item.

15. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I wouldn't care what the discount was if I didn't like the product I wouldn't use it. Whether it is 20, 30 or even 50% off of retail why waste any money or say a product is great if you think it sucks?

16. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just for the record Monster Raxx is awesome. Can't wait for soft ground.

17. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no possible way that a "Pro Staffer" is in love with 100% of the products that the company he works for chooses. He's more than likely not involved in that decision. The types of products that a company chooses to support has more to do with a good marketing fit, that's not his decision or his job description. Not every person who works at Ford drives a Ford either.

But they're not going to bad mouth their product either. That product is what is making it possible for him to be Pro-Staff. In life, you've gotta know who's buttering your bread.

Lastly, as a Pro Staffer, you can certainly choose to speak out against a product if you choose to. But it'll never see the light of day, and you won't be a Pro-Staffer the following morning. But it's still America.

18. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't risk my own name promoting a product and the people involved in the company if I didn't believe in them.

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finny you got something on your nose. :p

20. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, but seriously. :)