Advantage to a different sight?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ferahgo, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Ferahgo

Ferahgo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a standard, Trophy Ridge Sight that came on my bow. It is a 3-pin fiber optic with a trijicon outline. Just wondering if there would be any advantage to upgrade?

2. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If its the one I'm thinking it is then your answer is yes. If I am correct the sight you have now is plastic has very little fiber on it and probably no 2nd or 3rd axis adjustments. The plastic and pin fiber doesn't really matter if you only shoot in the yard in the middle of the day but if your planning on hunting you need to upgrade or else one day you will be walking through the woods and catch that sight on brush or drop it and it will break in a hurry especially on a really cold day. And those sights will probably go dark quick in the fading light of evening and take a long time to see in the morning when deer and other critters are on the move the most. The axis adjustments come more into play on shooting longer ranges and extreme angles but are nice to have.

Trophy Ridge makes several offerings at a good price with good quality. If you are on a budget I really feel like Trophy Ridge is the best option. I've shot several other sights in what I would call the budget price range (<$100) and the TR stuff is just better than the rest for what you pay. The Hit Man 5 is what I shoot and I really like, you can pick them up on eBay or $50 or find them used for less. All metal 5 pin and 3rd axis adjustment no 2nd axis adjustment though which would be nice. Also the Cypher is nice. Both those sights would give you years of service and keep you under $80 easily. Pins are crazy bright. They come with a light too but you will never need it unless you are hunting or shooting at night. They also offer some single pin options that are pretty decent with a good price point. If you can spend some more money you can go with their React Series which kind of set the pins for you and save you a lot of time. They have been getting amazing reviews.

If you have more money and would like to go to a what I would call a "Premium" site check out Black Gold, HHA, Spot Hogg and probably a couple of others that I'm forgetting. I really like looks of all their stuff they get spendy in a hurry but also often times you can special order pin sizes and colors you want and I know Black Gold comes with a life time warranty.