Any Advice on Elk Hunting Montana/Colorado

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichiHunter, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning a week Elk hunting trip in September. I've talked to several outfitters in CO and MT. I'll be doing this as a guided trip, I don't have a hunting buddy, so I'll be with the guides and other hunters.

The outfitter that I'm leaning toward so far is Swan Mountain Outfitters in MT.

I'm wondering do any of you have any experience with them? If so, how would you rate them.

Here are some of the details

7 day trip. 5 day hunt. (1 day up the mountain, 1 day down)
    Horse/Mule packed trip.
    2/1 Guide ratio
    Fair Chase (approx. 30% success)
    No discount for future hunting if not successful.
    Cost $4200+$959 tag. Flight $650 (food and camp provided)

I've already started working out heavily to get ready for the trip to make sure i'm in good hill climbing shape.

So, by the time everything is said and done, I'm 6k into the trip.

I've seen trips range from $3500-8000.

Before I give my deposit money, I'm trying to do as much due diligence as possible.

Thoughts, comments, advice are all welcome.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you done your research regarding OTC tags in Montana? I ask because I am also in first-timer elk hunt planning stages and looked into Montana (I'm boycotting Colorado due to 2nd Amendment infringement.) I could not find any info on Montana OTC tags; it looked like lottery only for non-residents. If you found otherwise please enlighten me!

(BTW, 30% success rate on fair chase sounds crazy high for elk archery.)

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting with J&Doutfitter in CO this Sept. Great people.

4. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:

Although the price $959 is not included in the trip, the procurement of the tag is. I just have to fill out the information. They take care of the rest. Asked about success rate....100%.

She said there will not be an issue getting the tag.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha. So it's thru the guide rather than OTC. Well, here's to you being in that successful 30% !

6. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the 2/1 potentially means you could end up having another hunter paired with you. Not sure of their hunting style, but would that could be an issue. However considering your solo you do not have many options there.

The $4200 about the going rate, but could be to The high side. 30% success rate seems like its on the high side considering archery wise, but to confirm that you would have to contact those who have hunted with the outfitter in the past.

it biols down to comfort levels and if you have hesitation in any way follow your gut. If none, then go for it...however be sure to do your homework. Ask for those who have hunted with the last 3 years. How many of those are repeats ? That gives some clarificatio to the operation and hunters experiencing the expectation that would provided. Outfitters that have to do shows to get hunters is a concern for me.

the tags in Montana are higher than that of colorado, so not sure of a budget but that may or not be important. Something to consider, that price you should consider New Mexico. Tags are about the same as is the outfitter cost. Not to mention a higher density of mature bulls compared to either Montana or Colorado. Guided archery hunts are around $4,000 and many to choose from in the Gila Areas

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd want to know if they hunt private or public and how they rotate shooting opportunities, how far do they pack in and what type of pressure the area normally gets. Kinda a roll of the dice going on a 1x2 hunt not knowing the other hunter. Think about this, What if the other guy shoots a bull at the end of the day, you don't find it until the next day, spend it packing the bull out, then you loose a day or a couple of hunts to weather at some point - now you are down to 2 days... That's a lot of what if's but what I'm trying to get at is 5 days is nothing hunting elk. Now you have to split your time with a guide and another hunter that you don't even know. May work out great, may not. Something to consider. I've seen some really good 1x1 7 day hunts in the past - very good areas for 1-2K more than what you are looking at paying... Before doing anything, I would get as many references as you can from the outfitter, try to get some first time clients and unsuccessful hunters too and see what they have to say. Whatever you decide, good luck!

8. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All NR tags in MT are part of a lottery system. That being said, we NEVER run out of them. You will not have an issue. Swan Lake Outfitters is located about an hour north of me. I can only assume they are packing into the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex. This gets heavily hunted, but I know guys that kill yearly.

Depending on when you go you can also draw for a rifle tag in the wilderness area that begins September 15th. Like most of western MT wolves have taken a serious toll on our herds.

Personally, I would point you into a DIY hunt. An outfitter is really not going to provide you with anything that you cannot do yourself just as easily. Feel free to PM me for any questions.

9. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That $960 dollar tag includes a deer tag, I believe.

If I was in your situation, I would do a DIY rifle hunt instead. Gain some knowledge of the area and save some money in the process. Then when you're ready, go back with the bow. If you try it DIY, you can afford three or four hunts instead of this one.

10. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Your right, the $960 is the combo license.

The only problem, I see, with a DIY Rifle hunt is that often times the elk are not in the spot from September through November. Makes it tough to scout out for an archery spot. In all honesty, with the amount of information floating around on the internet its not relatively hard to get pointed in a general direction for elk.

To the OP, go to elknutforums.com and create an account. Read all that you can and take a ton of notes. Also, get your hands on Elk Nuts DVD's and field book. Seriously, you CAN do a DIY elk hunt!

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm interested in a DIY elk hunt and everybody keeps saying you CAN do it yourself, but with the research I've done its seems daunting at best. I've never been to the mountains, never seen an elk, never called at an elk, never spent a week in a tent or any of the things that elk hunters do. But at the same time I have no interest in paying someone to do it all for me.

12. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed.

Especially if I was looking to "split" a guide with another hunter - I'd rather wander around all on my own chasing elk. DIY will take quite a bit more homework and effort - but I enjoy that part also. I also know plenty of guys in my area who have done guided and returned with no elk - sure seams like the 10% archery success rate applies the same to those guys.

If you got the funds, then guided might be easiest way to just jump on in...but being a penny pincher - $6000 would get me 5-6 years of DIY - OTC elk hunting in CO...that's tag, gas, food and everything.

My experience says there is a lot to be gained by returning to same area for multiple years, so I'm not sure a lot would be gained to go on guided hunt 1 year, then hunt different state the following.

Regardless - prepare to be hooked - and Good Luck!

13. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my thoughts on that. Your first hunt out for elk, guided or not, you will likely not kill an elk. Just the truth. So, you can go experience the hunt on your own terms and learn at your own pace or be led around someone else's area and really not learn much. Seem straight forward to me.

If you learn the basics, finding and locating elk isn't all that hard. It's the final calling session that can be hard. Elk are very complex, vocally. Also, don't get sucked into the Cameron Hanes mentality that you need to hunt off of your back miles from the trailhead, that is simply not true. Put in your time, get in shape, learn all that you can, learn it again, get off the roads and experience a hunt that will change you.

14. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:

Back Country, thanks for the response. You're exactly right. They pack horses into the Bob Marshall Wilderness. 1 day in 1 day out, 5 days hunting.

In regard to a DIY hunt. I don't have a hunting buddy, so I'd be uncomfortable going it alone. Mainly for safety. It's not out of the question that I couldn't find a hunting buddy, so let's talk about the DIY hunt.

Are you referring to a "drop camp" scenario or are you talking about just planning/doing the entire thing alone? They have drop camp options as well, and they're considerably less expensive.

You're obviously familiar with the area, give me as much information that you can.

How would you guys go about planning a DIY elk hunt? I don't mean to sound dense, just looking for as much info as I can get.

15. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wish it was the following year planning on doing a DIY elk hunt for 2015 but this year im really wanting to get a good buck out of state.

16. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's because you're selfish. :) You don't care about your fellow (much older) hunter. I don't have years and years to be planning stuff. I could drop dead before I finish this post. I've gotta get things done NOW! :)

17. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: Im sure you still got plenty of years of kicking left. I will try to get you on a good buck and turkey this year. Waiting for a little warmer weather to go do some scounting here soon.

18. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm prepared to not kill an elk on my first trip. That's fine, I want to do it for the experience,if I kill an elk great. But I also want to give myself the best chance to get one. And call me crazy but i'd rather go on my own and not kill than to pay someone to do everything and kill. Its just the way I am. No hate for guys that do use guides, I just wont. But trying to narrow down an area, let alone a specific place to go is intimidating. I'm not unfamiliar with DIY hunts, I've waterfowl hunted all over the country, 7 different states,a lot of it on public ground, no guides and have done well. But finding waterfowl is easy, find water you'll find waterfowl. I already had the gear, know what I was doing, know the birds etc.
    I guess i'll keep researching it and i'll either come with something that I feel I can do....or I wont.
    Thanks for your insight.

19. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can you really hunt elk on $1000 a trip? Seems really low. How many guys splitting gas,costs etc? How much of the equipment do you already have like tents, sleeping bags etc?

michihunter, I hope you don't mind me asking questions on your thread. Hopefully you can learn something from my questions to!

20. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ask away. I'm as interested in you are.

I guess if you lived at the bottom of the mountain, you could pull off a week long elk hunt for $1000. But for guys like you and I, we have to travel across the country. 28 hour drive, or 6-11 hr flight (2 stops) That'll eat up your $1000 budget real quick.

Other than gear, tags, travel. All you've got is groceries.

The hunting is free. It's all the other stuff that you need.