Solid Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frenchbritt123, Jan 11, 2014.

1. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solid Broadheads:

Anyone shoot these?

Any opinions?

2. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
  3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure these are what trial153 uses. I love the design and would like to try them but just a little rich for my blood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot them and used them yes. I Really cant add anything that they haven't said on there website and in the article you posted. But i will give you my two cents....
    When they arrived in the tin and it my first reaction was that they are even nicer then I expected and I had very high expectations. They scream quality, you can see it in the details of the milling and the assembly. Nothing rough or sloppy. I put them on unshot shafts and spin tested them on roller bearings and they where perfect.

I shot all three on the ends of ACC 390's weighting in at 400 grains total, they where coming out of out of a 66 pound Elite Answer at 285 FTS. I had the bow tuned to shoot 100 grain unvented VPA's and field points to the same POI. The Solids shot to the POI all they way out to 70 yards which was the farthest I shot them. Quite in flight, they penetrated deep into the Rhine hart target and after about 20 shoots total one one head( the other where just shot to verify poi) there was nothing loose, and the blades where still super sharp. I cleaned it with a soft cloth to take the rubber/foam residue off it. I took it apart more out of curiosity then anything else, the bleeder blade took a little work to come loose....my first reaction was this is pain in the ***, then I got to thinking....that's why they milled it like that. It strong and not coming loose under any type on normal hunting situations.
    I touched the blade up with just a super fine diamond hone(steel) not because they needed it but because I wanted to see how they retook and edge. So far I have killed the only buck I shot at since getting them, it was anticlimactic. 23 yards quartering too me fairly hard, it entered just behind the narrow part of the scapula and exited near the bottom off side just past the diaphragm....The buck went went maybe 75 yards with an easy to follow blood trail. The arrow and broad head where just fine, after washing it and cleaning it i put it back into the first spot of my quiver. Still razor sharp.

I wouldn't think twice about using these broadheads on any game anywhere and they most likely be my go too head on anything bigger then a deer. Over kill quality wise? Maybe...but from a value standpoint your not likely to find better cheaper....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
  6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great report... sounds like you wrung them out pretty good.

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks..

8. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered (6) @ 125 grain and the leather strap for sharpening. Can't wait to see how these things fly and hold up.

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At $80/3 too rich for my blood as much as I shoot, break, or lose arrows I'd be out of house and home.

I'm trying slick tricks for this coming fall instead

11. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Lifetime warranty if they break on bone or don't fly right for any reason. I really don't go through a lot of broadheads in a year. I didn't break or lose one this year. The year before I lost one and didn't break any. I would be out of house and home if I did your traveling though. :)

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I like I said...over kill. But isn't that what this is all about....

Looking forward to your thoughts and impressions...

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I practice w bhs year round instead of field points which requires buying multiple packs. outfitting a dozen arrows would cost $320 in broadheads alone with these. Magnus offers the same warranty on their heads which are like 1/3 to 1/4 the price.

Not knocking them as everyone has certain pieces of gear they want top notch, mine just isn't BHs. I don't need the best there.

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to try something that is really high quality an won't break the bank take a look at vented VPA's... They are about the easiest to resharpen heads you will find and tuffer then any slick trick made.

Watch their website video on how to resharpen with a flat stone.

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    On another note, I just don't see the need for year round shooting of broadheads.
    Once your tuned in and have BH and field points shooting to the same POI what's the benefit of shooting them vs your field point? Only possible thing I can think of is maybe a mental edge...?? Doesn't seem to be worth the extra expense, were and tear on your target ect ect.

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot a lot so it's easier on my mental game to be shooting my exact hunting setup when I do practice.

I hope to shoot a lot more this spring/summer in which case ill be using field points.

17. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't take long.

[​IMG]

18. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    They look as well as advertised. Very well put together. Impressed with the quality. Will let you know later in the spring how they shoot.

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Those 125 look stout ....you got me thinking I needs some.

After you get a chance to shoot them let me know what you think I of the strop you bought.
    A super fine diamond steel really worked well...but they recommended the strop ....so your input would be great.

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They double beveled? If I switch from Slicks it will be only for a single beveled head...love what they by design do to bone and even the twisting motion through organs are crazy!