Scary things in the woods

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by stikbow26, Sep 14, 2008.

1. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dan's post got me to thinking of scary things that happen to all of us while in the woods. My most scary thing was simalar to Dan's but ended up a whole lot better but was partly caused by me. When I was about 20 years old that would be 1983 I thought I was invinceable, and I was so good I didn't need a flashlight to get in and out of the woods. I was hunting private land and was walking out of the swamp and my uncle always told me that if you ever get shot at you will hear the bullet before the shot and he was right, While walking out of that swamp with "NO" light on (STUPID) I hear a bullet whiz right past my right shoulder and then BANG. I hit the ground and shouted and by time I got the nerve to stand and look for the SOB I never did see anybody but that was to close me and the start of why I love to bowhunt more than guns any day!! Walt

2. ruttnutt

ruttnutt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bet you carry a light now!!!! Thats some scarry stuff man.... You are a lucky dude....

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that I would ever go anywhere without a flashlight after something like that. That would definetly scare the crap out of me.

4. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife will tell you in a heartbeat, the scariest thing in the woods is Humans!

5. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care what I scare away now I look like a beacon going through the woods, NO deer is worth dying over!! Walt

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would be the exact same way Walt! I don't blame you one bit!

7. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You go that right.:deer:

8. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fricking idiots out there shooting at sounds instead of identifying their targets. I tell you, they should just have their licenses taken away. Man you sure were lucky. I know that come gun season up here, you better have a light on. I've heard shots go off in the dark just before light. Can't get over that mentality. Where were they for hunter's safety class?

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    That is scary stick, just glad it didnt hit ya. I had one similar years ago at a local bow club i belonged to. I was walking the practice course shooting 3-d and was approaching the tower platform when i started hearing bullets wizzing by my head. I hit the ground and started yelling and they stopped comming. ended up it was a guy that had a get away cabin close by with a pond behind it. he was shooting into the water and the bullets were richocheing off the water and into the woods where i was at. :argue: I can still hear them cutting leaves in the trees as they went by.

10. rjdumas

rjdumas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The scary things in the woods around here are weed crops. There are a lot, and the growers put up some nastey traps. Thats why I try to go in with a buddy or places I've been before. They also sell and make meth out in the woods its crazy.

11. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh I have heard stories about them stupid dopers dueing cr%p like that.. Be careful for sure.. Walt

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had similar experiences but It didn't involve a flash light. My experience involved an a hole who decided to trespass and shoot at a deer on my dad's land and that bullet hit the exact tree I was in but on the opposite side. That SOB damn near got his ass kicked by a 14 year old at the time. I was steaming!!

I'm glad you made It through the whole ordeal there Walt. It's good to have you around!!

13. RDHunter

RDHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tell ya what scared the heck outa me once , I was on my way to meet one of my hunting buddies for a lunch break and on my way though the thick brush he was in there waiting.
    As I was passing by him he reaches out and grabs my arm real fast and pulls me in , I didn't know what to think but it just freak me out.

14. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Schultzy a bullet striking the oppisite side of your tree has to make you clean your shorts!! Walt

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Scarry crap Walt! That's one thing I never have done and never will do, enter the dark woods without a flashlight. Glad it didn't turn out worse.

16. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    You got that right Walt!! Like I said I was 14 at the time (20 years ago)!! I've had too many bad things happen during the gun season In my own woods that should of never happened. We got some real idiots for gun hunters (neighboring land owners) where I hunt that borders my dads land.

17. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I too have heard the whiz of a bullet and seen it "skip" off the surface of the water. Cept I was fishing and some idiot was just shooting at random. It's a sound you don't forget.

I also told this story last year. I was up in a treestand bowhunting and in a fencerow I could see all these little birds flitting about, well there is a cat in there chasing them. Low and behold here comes a small game hunter working the fence row. he gets to the end, the birds fly out and he looks intently in the bush. I know whats coming next....as the cat bolts out the side running at my tree the "hunter" shoots at it with a shotgun.Spraying me and the area with bbs..(far enough away not to do any damage)..of course the cat, unhurt, darts below me into the woods.
    In full camo and out of his sight I beckond down "NICE SHOT JIM SHOCKEY YOU MISSED THE ELUSIVE HOUSE CAT" he must have thought God himself was berating him, as he stammered something about he thought it was a rabbit..as he beat feet it out of there.

18. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Lmao!!!