Ladder stands (the good and bads)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Schultzy, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken my 6 year old daughter out a few times deer and bear hunting with me. A few times from the ground and a few times from the tree. Getting her up the tree makes me nervous. She loves it however. Lol! We then hunt out of the same portable hang on stand. I was rolling the idea around of getting a Ladder stand. It would be much easier to get her in and out and plus I could take her with me more. I'd feel much safer with her in one of these types of stands. If I were to get one of these how much are deer going to be bothered by these?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Double ladder stand maybe?

I must ask, I do good to get my 6 yo up a ladder into a box, how in the world do you manoeuvre in a hang on stand?

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Without a doubt they will notice them, so i think the best method is to get them out early (Like in spring or summer). Let the bucks get used to them...then they wont pay attention.

4. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've only used ladder stands so far and it hasn't seemed to bother the deer at all. I've had them come right up to the ladder. However I do put mine out in the spring/summer like Siman mentioned. I also use a HSS lifeline with mine (as silly as it may sound to some) so you might want to look into that, so she is attached the whole time. Good luck!

5. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use 90% ladder stands and I have had deer like JPT said walk right by them. I, living 2 hours away from the properties we hunt mostly hang stands during turkey hunting or during the season. The buck I took a few hairs off his chest walked within 25 yards of a ladder we hung that morning. I think if you have the time then hang them up early, but if you can't IMO they don't bother the deer a ton. Check Menards as they close there stands out in a couple of weeks.

6. FOP23

FOP23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Schultz, we use ladder stands almost exclusively on the property we hunt, I typically try to hang them in a tree with 2 or 3 splits to hide my outline. Usually finding them isn't a problem. Good luck with your little girl.

7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder stands is all I use and I have a trail cam set on video mode pointed right at it and I've yet to get a negative reaction from it.

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think you'd be fine as long as you hang them early enough. I would also suggest getting the buddy type ladder stand.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

9. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you get a double stand and set it out months in advance of the season at least 5 they will ignore it

10. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never noticed a negative reaction to ladder stands. Have killed many deer out of them.

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they do notice the stands, old does especially would take notice a look at the stands.....Good ladder stands are hard to beat for comfort and safety, but most are pain in *** the set up and are heavy.
    I was hunting a ladder stand in Ohio a couple weeks ago, my first time in that stand or that area of the lease. It was a Big Game stand about 20 ft or so, comfortable and I planned on sitting all day if the wind held. when it became light i noticed an old 16 el cheap o ladder stand about 40 yards to my left, I didn't think anything of it as it looked like it was there for years; like somebody never bothered to come back for it. Later that day small buck came up from right behind me and walked between the two stands, he then made a left and walked between the old ladder stand and the tree it was up against......

12. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried one for the first time this year and hated it. Granted it wasn't a real expensive or fancy model so maybe spending a few more bucks for a better stand would improve the experience. Two things I hated...I stand when I shoot and when using a hang on I can stand, flip the seat and keep my body tight to the tree, but with the ladder, the foot platform is out away from the tree making me feel like I really stuck out. I also didn't like small foot platform and it didn't like size 12 boots. It was almost impossible to turn for a shot behind me. I decided their probably not designed to shoot while standing. That said, one of those big 2 man stands would be great for the two of you to have a fun hunting experience and that fun could let you overlook the shortcomings.

13. KillerC

KillerC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They dont bother the deer. We have deer walk under the ladders of our stands quite a bit and they are fine with it other than all the bad luck they are getting.

14. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^ This... I've had them walk under the ladder, bump the ladder, etc.,... just get 'em up early :tu:

15. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funny story actually. My cousin was gun hunting out of one (mine actually), and shot at a stud 170's 12 pt. After the first shot, the buck turned to run and actually ran head first into the ladder. Damaged the stand pretty good, but gave my cousin a second chance on the buck.

16. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got several out. Haven't seen a deer bothered by them yet. Both deer this year have been from ladder stands

sent from old school can and string

17. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder stands are great. I've taken mature bucks and does from them, and
    I have yet to see a deer bothered by it.

18. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome info everyone!! Very much appreciated!!

19. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Lmao!!! Good stuff!!

20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think everybody pretty much touched on it so ill just say I've never had them notice mine. Last year when I first put it out they did but this year since its been up all year it hasn't been a problem. The only one I have is right on a corn field edge too so for the most part I think they notice me more than the stand.

I'd definitely say the two person ladder stands would be the way to go. I've had good luck with big game stands. I think they have one now that has two seperate seats and they are actually pretty comfortable. Think its called the nexus or partner plus but it has a pretty large platform also.