What to do when the Weathers Bad?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marauder, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

Lately I've been putting forth a lot of effort in hunting November. However in the last couple of weeks the weather hasn't been the greatest. I know the weather is never perfect and it will always change. Now every time I've been sitting it's been unusually windy, and raining quite a bit. Unfortunately whenever I've been getting the chance to sit the winds blowing like crazy or the rain won't let up. It wouldn't be bad if I've seen deer but unfortunately I think the weather is affecting the deer movement.

What do you guys do when the weather isn't all that great? Do you still hunt? Endure it like I have? Do any of you use the bad weather days to scout?

Thanks

Tim :tu:

2. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt during or right before a lot of rain. If the wind is over 20mph I usually stay away. I think it is a good time to check trail cam pics.

3. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the time. My Son was full draw twice on a book buck Saturday 3pm rutting with pouring rain sideways. The next 3 days look perfect for rut hunting.. The gun opener Saturday will be 12 degrees! perfect all day sit while the guys are cold and have to bird dog for me.

4. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If its nasty and no fun to hunt I stay home. Its supposed to be fun remember! Hunting in a pouring down rain with 20 mph wind is not fun.

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say it is a judgement call. I can endure the wind but heavy down pour no thanks! I also realize you have to hunt when you can so if it is just a slight drizzle I will go I just don't enjoy my bow getting wet! I do like hunting before and after a front moves through it seems like the deer will be on there feet feeding before they bed down.

7. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Couldn't agree anymore!!!!! just the wind is 1 thing but add the rain and the cold of a Nov day and it's not fun...I went last season the last week in January (with the ending being the 31st in Md) and the temps were in the low 30's and windy....I think I stayed bout 2hrs and said enough...won't do that again...I just wanted to get some action in before the season ended.....

8. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt on public land four hours away and camp out in a tent, bushcraft style. I don't have the luxury like some of you to go home or stay at a motel. When the weather is bad, wind, rain, etc. I catch up on my sleep and pray for good weather. Don't want to take a chance of catching a cold or hypothermia.

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like it!

Further.. if you can get out of it as easy as you got into it..Hunt! .... If getting out becomes an issue..reevaluate.

I would be on the ground in these situations.

10. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was always told deer don't move in strong winds and I believed this until Saturday around 1:30 PM with 20 to 30 mph gust winds and seeing two buck fight it out 30 yards from my parked SUV and I. too bad I had a beer in my hand and not a bow.:sad:

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how sleepy I am.

12. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the wind threatens to blow my arrow off target, I back out... If the rain threatens to wash away any possible blood trail before I can get on it, I back out. I hunt in some pretty thick stuff. I'll use those days to catch up on errands and rest.

13. RayJ

RayJ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually hunt regardless of the weather.I have a rainsuit and treestand umbrella for the rain.Umbrella works really well.I hunted in the rain a few weeks ago and was covered up with deer.Ended up killing a small buck that day.I dont like hunting in strong winds but if I'm off work and plan to hunt,I'm going out there.I hunt when I can.The weather isn't always good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wind is one thing. Rain is another. If there is a forecast for rain I plan on using a ground blind.

15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm off work....I'm hunting.

16. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aren't you guys that hunt in the rain concerned about the rain washing away a blood trail? To me that's the best reason not to hunt in the rain.

17. RayJ

RayJ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea,blood trails could be a problem.I just keep my shots close and try to only take broadside or slightly quartering shots.I've killed two in the rain and found both without a blood trail.Most deer fall within 100 yards if hit square in the lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Totally depends on a number of factors including:
    -recent trail camera actions and deer sightings
    -location I want to hunt
    -how much I've been hunting
    -where in the season I'm at
    -what the forecast for then next few day is and what the last few days was

I guess for me, it's kinda like my internal buck shootermeter. I take in as much info as I can, then see what I feel.

Some days a little drizzle keeps me in. Other days, I'm out in some nasty stuff.

Hope that's a clear explanation :tu:

19. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz I want an Internal Buck Shootermeter! Where did you pick yours up? :lol:

20. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't go if the wind is going to be full blast and swirly wild because all it's doing is giving away your position and telling the deer that you are there. I don't mind a light rain but I like to hunt on the days that I know I have the best chances which is when it's cold and overcast with little to no wind. It sucks waiting for the perfect conditions though, the weather never seems to cooperate, so as long as I can get 2 out of 3 on those conditions I am there.