My first questions..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Joe03, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Joe03

Joe03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I tried bow hunting way back before there was an Internet, 30 yrs ago and all I can say is thank God for the Internet and this site. This site and YouTube taught me allot about setup.

So, it still goes is that I am a newb. So help would be greatly appreciated.

Well just finishing setting up my new PSE stinger 3G with a little help from my local bow shop. (My wife bought me the bow for our anniversary and I purchased all my accessories from them)

To the basement and paper tuned, that went better than I though , great bullet hole after a bit of adjustment . Next the walk back and did pretty good there also.

Now to my questions. I set my first pin at 15 yards and 2nd is going to be set at 25. For bowhunting wound this work ok?
    I ask because standing at 25 yards, I'm not sure I would trust myself further out. Maybe some day I could set the third at 35 but just standing 35 yards from the target seemed..... Far.

So from a stand, tree and ground, what's my chances just shooting out to 25 yards max? I understand it all depends on where the deer track but should I just bite the bullet and attempt shooting further with really not feeling super comfortable with it.?

A 15 yards I can keep a shots in a 3 inch circle and as for 25 have not practiced that distance yet.

All opinions appreciated. Thanks. joe

Ps, only took one deer in my few yrs hunting and tha was with a scoped ruger revolver and that was with in 25 yards.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have my first pin at 20 yards because everything inside of 20 I shoot with the 20 yard pin and have no trouble. Most likely you don't need a 15 yard pin

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My two cents:
    Pins at, 20, 30, 40 ... and shoot a lot. If you are timid at longer distances find a safe place with a good back stop to sacrifice arrows and make your adjustments little by little until you get comfortable with "the average spacing estimate" of your pins based on your draw and arrow weight. I would go as far as the sight will allow but there are no answer alls as to personal set up, do not limit yourself on a specific distance rather consider wind, line of sight, your ability and ethical shot placement.

Enjoy your new bow often-

4. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have my bow setup 30,40,50,60. That being said my thirty is about 2 ins high at 10 yards ( I aim vital lower on very close shots) and 1in high at 20 yards and dead on at 25, But at thirty 2 ins low ( at 30 ill aim vital high) I like to have my first pin to go out as far as possible but still be able to put the pin right on a deer at close distances, this helps alot for me so it takes a lot of guess work out of the equation. My 35,45,55 I use the pin gap.

5. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot where you are comfortable. Practice a lot. I have a one pin fixed sight that is set at 20 yards, and is 2 inches high at 10 and 3 in low at 30. I don't shoot past 30 yards hunting. Get scary accurate inside of that 30 yards to start and build from there. If you are hunting thicker cover odds are you won't have much shots past that anyway.

6. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i am a new bowhunter and i have my pins set at 20, 30, 40. my bowshop set my 20 yd up. as i got more comfortable, i did my 30 yd pin myself. after practice i got really comfortable with 30 yds and started working on my 40 yds. at this point, i feel confident shooting a deer out to 30 yds. i can put together a halfway decent group at 40 yds but i don't shoot deer on "halfway decent". Once i get more comfortable out to 40, then i will increase my live shot range. after 40, i don't feel my eyes are good enough to successfully try a shot farther than that lol.

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cant remember shooting over 20 yards here,it's so thick in the woods it's just not going to happen.I have 1 pin on my bow for the past 20 years. The thrill of bowhunting is in getting close past that you might as well take up rifle hunting.

8. Joe03

Joe03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all, I think like all mentioned, practice...

20 30 40 seems like the concensus.

9. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still a rookie as well, you'll be surprised with a properly tuned bow how quickly your comfortable shooting 20-30 yds. With practice it doesn't take long. From what I've read the consensus seems to be at 40+ is where you should really start questioning the need to take that shot.

You'll also be surprised when you're in a treestand how close a deer will come. I was just reading a thread today that a member was literally waiting for a deer to wake up. She was sleeping under his tree stand.

I'd also recommend getting a range finder. If you can't get a range finder, use some landmarks in your shooting lane that you've previously measured out. That way you'll know the distance. It's a little different trying to figure out the distance in the woods.

I was unsure just like you are. I killed my first deer on Oct. 7. When she walked in to my kill lane at about 20 yes, I knew I could take her at that distance. For me, if there's a question, I won't take the shot.

Jut get out and practice as much as possible and you'll love it. Try to find a place to do some 3D shoots near your house. I think they're a blast.

To answer your original question..20, 30,40 yds.

Also read this thread. Here's the link.http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/52643-official-what-do-after-shot-please-read.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Assassin is set at 20, 30, 40, & 50 but I set up for 20-25 yard shots in the woods. Practicing at 40 & 50 makes 20 & 30 seem like cake.

11. outdoorsman24/7

outdoorsman24/7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't consider my self an expert, I have only had about 7 years experience hunting whitetails with my bow. But I have put down 9 bucks with my bow in those seven years and 15 does. The way I started off I didn't limit my self I shot everyday for hours from spring till the night before I went out. I have a 20,30,40,50 pin setup on my bow. I have not shot a deer at 50 yards I refuse but shooting that 50 yards at the target helps improve your skills remarkable for the closer shots. You learn what your bow is capable of and its limits. It also helps you develop stability. I have put my time in so I can make the best most lethal shot I can. So far I have recovered every deer but one doe. I have let deer walk because I wasn't comfortable with the conditions either the angle wasn't right or it wasn't a clear shot. What I have learned is not to rush shots its better not to shoot and let that deer walk un spooked then to take a bad shot. If you have patterned the deer right you will get another chance and you learn from the deer and change your techniques. I took a beautiful 8 at 43 yards but it was into a field and the deer was broadside. I still didn't like this shot because so much can go wrong at that distance he could jump your arrow, take a step forward, or even duck the shot. luckily I mad a double long shot and he only went about 60 yards so that is proof that the shots are lethal but with a shot like that so much can go wrong. Don't ever take a shot your not comfortable with even if its a buck of a life time its not worth the risk of making a bad shot, the deer suffering, or u never recovering it and it just becomes coyote food. my advice is never think your groups are good enough always try to improve. the only way to do this is to shoot frequently and try to improve. To answer your other question is you just have to do your homework and do it well. try to hang a stand ten yards of a highway and try and find a pinch point. I have smoked several deer under ten yards including one at about 5 yards. I cant say it enough you need to practice and practice often. good luck

12. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice first post, and welcome to the site.

13. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I run the same set up with a three pin sight. I like to be Low at 30 in case the deer jumps the string. 30, 40, 50.

14. Joe03

Joe03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks gents, been out side this AM practicing and find that allot of fun too. Right now I am shooting at 15 and 20 yards and would like to just get the basics of holding the bow and breathing. Seems to be working from those distances.

15. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't imagine much of a pin gap from 15 to 25 on a PSE Stinger. 20/30/40 would be the most common way.

16. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With practice you will most likely feel comfortable at 30 sooner than you are expecting. Once you feel good about your groups you need to practice from a treestand before you hunt, shots feel different from elevation and practicing it is critical to success. Good job getting your bow tuned right off the bat, lots of new shooters seem to think all they have to do is pick up their bow and start adjusting the sights. Good luck.

17. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    something that gave me a lot of confidence when I first started was exactly that, small pin gap. When I was able to put 3 pins on my first deer, (10/20/30), I KNEW I would hit the deer, which I did. Is this necessary, not of experienced people, but this guy is starting out, and confidence is everything when releasing an arrow, and multiple pins on the deer might be a good way to start out hunting.

18. Joe03

Joe03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes but, it's a Stinger set at 55lbs draw weight.