Rage pros and cons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alexjoelslaydon, Oct 26, 2013.

1. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard a lot of mixed comments on rage broadheads, that is why I have decided to switch to the Killzones from NAP. I still have some rages, but until I can get my mind clear on all this stuff, I will continue to use the killzones. So if any of yall can, it would be nice if I could get what yall think the pros and cons are of this broadhead. Thanks guys:D

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The rages collars suck but at least their quiet and fly okay. I won't use them because I refuse to have to change out collars or orings or bands.

I love the mechanics of the killzones, no bands, collars or any other contraption to break and replace. They fly pretty true and funtion great. The downside for me is I can hear mine going downrange, they don't exactly "whistle" but more like a "sizzle" sound, every one in the package does it. I have a practice tip and it does not make any noticable noise.

All that said....I have two sets of fixed blade Hellrazors and they fly just as good (if not better) than any of the expandables I have shot so far, at least out to 40 yards. I have three on arrows in my quiver and two of the Bloodrunners. I can't justify using any expandable over the fixed Hellrazors based on the ones I have and have shot out to 40 yards....I haven't really shot them out past there, no need.

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't say on that one brother, .. .. Branded & doing Tricks.

4. alexjoelslaydon

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard they open in flight for some people. I have a lower poundage bow "57lb" do you think that would reduce the chances of them opening in flight?

5. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had good luck with rages last year, so I don't have a reason not to use them this year. Killed a doe with the 3 blade chisel tip pulling 52#. Went 60 yards and fell over, great entrance and exit wounds and great blood trail.

6. alexjoelslaydon

Dislikes Received:
    are you talking about the fact that they break when you shoot them because they are supposed to break. I don't know if you knew that or you just hate them for another reason but im just putting it out there.Im talking about the shock collars by the way

7. alexjoelslaydon

Dislikes Received:
    and I have noticed all of my killzones do that too. I think its because the blades are too far spaced apart or something but the deer already knows whats coming at it so it kinda doesn't really matter in my opiniom

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    rages work for me,two 140-150 class bucks and a turkey in the last two years zips right thru them and all dropped in sight with a huge bloodtrails. I have put new rubber bands over winter but they fly great and I see no reason to change. You can shoot a deer thru the lungs with a field tip and kill a deer but a bad hit is just that hard to blame a broadhead for that.

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pro: They kill deer.

Con: People hate them.

I deem this thread doomed. inb4lock.

10. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ha, if this were on archerytalk this thread would be 9 pages of nothing but insults already.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, the shock collars are what I was referring to. I know they are supposed to break, I'm unclear why anyone would design something like a broadhead with parts that are supposed to break and have to be replaced after use.... NAP sure got around it okay.

Yeah I know there are a lot of guys out there that don't worry about a whistle or noise from broadheads but I don't like it. My bow is quiet and doesn't even "boing" from the string so why should I have to deal with a sizzling arrow and add one more variable that could thwart a shot in even the slightest vs a quiet broadhead? Besides two blade cuts can also seal back together more easily than a three blade. As long as the three blade bloodrunners or the fixed blade Hellrazors are shooting right with the 2 blade mechanicals I'll take the Bloodrunners and Hellrazors all day long.

12. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to be "That" guy, but your bow does make noise, which alerts the deer. All the sound after you release that string till the arrow hits the deer is arbitrary.

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had any problems with them, like anything mechanical there's a possibility of failure. Most of the problems I've heard people have, I have not had. Neither has any of my buddies that use them.

As far as the noise issue, I've been standing under a stand or 10-15 yards away while a buddy was shooting out of it. He has the exact same arrows as me and shooting field points you could hear the arrow flying through air. Wasn't a whistle but the noise was still there so for me that's also kind of a none issue.

14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree. The sound of the bow will reach the deer before they get hit with a "sizzling" arrow. These threads usually go nowhere because everybody has their favorite broad head. I used the Killzone last year after my son gave me some and asked me to try them. Killed three animals and all dropped in 40 yards. That said, any broadhead out there would have done the same with the same shot placement. I considered using the Rage heads but after talking to others who used them I decided against it. The problems I heard were they open in flight (a guy said he witnessed this while his friend was shooting), open from vibration in the quiver or just tapping the arrow while putting it on the bow. A bow shop owner advised that if I buy them I should buy the quiver made for them so they don't open prematurely. A butcher I know (he's not a bow hunter) said he has taken two 3-blade Rages out of an animal that did not open. When they work, they make a huge hole but so do most other broadheads.

"I have heard they open in flight for some people. I have a lower poundage bow "57lb" do you think that would reduce the chances of them opening in flight?"

I don't know if that is enough to open a mechanical broadhead or not but I'm sure you can read up on it and find out. It is definitely enough to drive a cut on contact broadhead through anything you'll hunt in North America.

15. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pro, they kill deer when shot properly.
    Con, they have weak ferrules.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    pros:
    - truly fly like a field point
    - chisel tip will destroy bone (hypodermics)
    - ferrule is rock hard (again; hypodermics)
    - 2" cutting diameter
    - will open just fine w/ a low KE bow
    - razor sharp
    - rebuild kits aren't too pricey

cons:
    - lots of interlocking parts (tempting murphy)
    - notch in blade where it locks into shock collar is an inherent weak spot and IMO a design flaw (dozens of clips on internet show breakage at that point)
    - b/t the shock collar and the notch, you need a rebuild kit in the first place

That being said; I'm shooting them this year. I'm not sure if I will be next year, but I'm kind of a broadhead philanderer anyway. I'm always looking for "what's next." But, hey, if they do the job I may stick with them.

I use (and LOVE) NAP spitfires for my X-bow, but prefer a rear deploying head on my vertical.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  17. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    People say they won't open on heavy hide animals. Well look up the anatomy of a water buffalo. There ribs and hide... I killed one from 40 yards with a rage.

Yes the o rings were annoying. The new collars are better. I don't care about replacing because I retire arrow and broadheads after its been through a animal.

As per the haters. Mark Drury and Tim Wells. Arguable the two best bow hunters on the planet. I realize are both paid by rage to use their broadheads, but if your lively hood depends on killing huge deer and other animals on camera. You wouldn't use something you didn't trust. So are rages the "best" because drury and wells use them? No, but I sure as hell guarantee there is nothing wrong with them.

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man, your fine...you can be "that" guy all you want, it doesn't bother me. You have your opinion and I have mine. Whether or not the noise is an issue for the deer....it is for me and I prefer not to have arrows that are abnormally noisy flying down range. Anything that is creating an odd surface to cause a noise is probably causing extra drag as well but whatever. If it doesn't bother you or several others on here then I guess we're all happy shooting whatever we prefer. I was just offering my opinion which is what was asked for. I remarked they make noise, you're perfectly free to have the opinion and argue whether that makes any difference or not.

The Killzone Max's are the ones that make noise for me.
    The Rage Hypodermics seem fine except I don't like the shock collars, didn't have any blades break and they didn't seem prone to opening in flight to me.
    Bloodrunners seem flawless for an expandable IMO.
    Hellrazors, for me, fly with any of the mechanicals.

19. alexjoelslaydon

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I was expecting to hear from yall but somehow every time I start a thread on a broadhead, there is always some argument on it. but eventually things work out but all I was expecting is what this guy put on this thread. I just think its silly how we can turn a simple question into an argument not even on topic. it never ceases to amaze me.

20. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Songs like you like your new killzones. Use the others for rabbits. General consensus is the killzone is better. I shoot montec by g5. Solid one piece easy to sharpen tough as nails. It has gone through shoulder blades and buried into tough ground almost ten inches. Them killzones do some gnarly damage tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free