Thinking of making a change. Prime to Hoyt, Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by slapendraagt, Oct 24, 2013.

1. slapendraagt

slapendraagt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting a Prime Centroid 29" 70# for a year now and like it so far............however after shooting my brother inlaws Hoyt Carbon Element 29" 70# I am thinking about a change.
    The Hoyt was very impressive shooting 1 pin from 0 to 40 yards without adjustments. While my Centroid requires large pin gaps to accurately shoot @ 20/30/40. Each bow was shooting the same arrows and same release. I am thinking strictly for hunting purposes and I am leaning towards a bow that can shoot flat from 0-40 with one pin.
    I was thinking about getting a Vector Turbo or Spider Turbo until I spoke with a buddy of mine at my local archery shop. He is sponsored by Hoyt but also owns a couple Prime bows. He told me that even though he is sponsored by Hoyt he would gladlly give that up to shoot his Prime bows any day. He claimed the tunability of the Primes was much easier and cam timing isnt an issue like with his Hoyt.

Am I crazy?

2. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I`ve got the carbon element and wouldn't change it for anything

3. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what was done to his Element, my Centroid always shot 10fps faster than my Hoyt Vector 35 with the exact same setup and arrow. There would have to be a huge difference in speed for one bow to shoot 0-40 with one pin and for the other to have a heavy gap, not sure what caused that. Are you sure the arrows are the same? I love my centroid, im ordering a Carbon Spyder 34, i love both brands. I shoot both well, so i will have one of each! But yes the Primes are always a breeze to tune and ive had some amazing accuracy with mine out to the 80yds that i have shot.

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is impossible for a bow to use one pin from 0-40. Yes, you are crazy.

5. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you are crazy at all. Hoyt has been putting out some incredible bows. I love my 2013 Spyder 30. I've been told that the new Z5 cams are smoother even yet.

6. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know less than zero about prime. But I'm very happy with my Hoyt Vector. (Which I've noticed is disco'd for 2014)

7. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking of selling my creed at the end of the season to shoot the hoyt Faktor

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2013 Carbon Element G3 with a Trophy Ridge React single pin sight. I Like it a lot but it will not shoot 0-40 yards on the same yardage marker...not even close as a matter of fact and I had it at nearly 80# draw weight for a long time.

I know nothing about the Prime bows but have trouble buying the 0-40 yard trajectory claim as well....0-60 feet, yes but any bow will shoot an arc between 20-30 yards or 20-40 yards. My element at 78#dw -28"dl will shoot 2" lower at 30 yards than at 20 using the same yardage marker on the react sight.

That said, I would never call anyone crazy for changing to a Hoyt bow...they are exceptional IMHO. My Element G3 is like a whisper and no vibration at all. If I were to buy a new bow, I would go with the Carbon Spyder Turbo.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty sure the IBO is very similar. Something must be wrong with the prime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be willing to bet the 1 pin on the hoyt is closer to 40 yard "0" than it is on the prime, giving the illusion if 1 pin to 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

11. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some bows just fit better to our style body and even skill level , my fav bows are the ones I can pick up and put the arrow where I want on the first shot every time.it's just auto pilot and it always hits the mark.

12. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brand of bow honesty means very little. They all do the same thing. Find one you like and go with it.

- sincerely, lifetime Hoyt fanboy

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be absolutely nuts!

Even he would think so....

[​IMG]

14. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Zero to fourty yards with one pin? Check into this a bit more, it ain't happening. Do not sacrifice safe grain weight to try and get flatter trajectory by a lighter, faster arrow. I run 20, 30, & 40 yard pins shooting 70lbs with axis 9.7 GPI 340s. Average 315 fps or so and shoot 70 yards often. There are a bunch of good bows out there that will set you up hunt wise and speed comes with a price. Find the one that speaks directly to you and do not get a bow that you are not 100% satisfied with, regardless of others spectlative opinions. If you want fast and flat you will find it, just be safe.

15. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grab one of Uncle Peteys bows from the PSE line up of flamethrowers and you can't go wrong.........PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE.......

16. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of us want our shoulders to last a lifetime! Lol

17. HOYT IS THE BEST !!!!

HOYT IS THE BEST !!!! Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey string puller is it between Hoyt and prime pse is the worst out of all of them

18. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Carbon element and I'm not shooting 1 pin out to 40 yards. I use one pin to 25 yards, then my next pins are 35 and 45.

I don't want to talk you out of a Hoyt because I love mine, I just don't see the same performance that you have seen.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  19. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt makes a nice bow, prime makes a nice bow, mathews makes a nice bow, bowtech makes a nice bow, elite makes a nice bow....don't get caught up in trying to make your setup shoot like someone else's. Most people have varying draw weights, draw lengths, and finished arrow weights. Test a bunch of bows from different manufacturers with the arrows you plan on hunting with. See which one performs best at your specs and which one you are most comfortable shooting. That's the one you should go with regardless of the brand.

Oh, and as other have mentioned I don't think bows that shoot one pin flat to 40 yards exist...happy shopping

20. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    chocolate ice cream is so much better than vanilla and strawberry.