It's Just a Doe (BDD) Yeah, ok...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rob / PA, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear in the industry, when asked if someone has taken a pic of a doe they've taken, a response that at times disturbs me and that response is, "No, it's just a doe"... Just a doe? Now I'd be lying if I said I get just as rattled, just as excited when I shoot a doe as I do when I shoot some head gear however, I still get a sense of excitement, a sense of achievement and a sense of humility. After all, I am taking an animals life, perhaps fulfilling my God given right to do so. This morning God blessed me with another animal, Just a doe. :hail:

This season has been slightly different for me. 1st, I've never really hunted my property or the property around my house. I've always traveled to my "honey hole" most of you are aware of. After all, it's treated me so well. I've yet to hunt my "honey hole" this year but for good reason. Starting in July I set out several new Covert IR Red 40's around my sand mound. Many of you know it by "looking out my bathroom window" episodes.. For all the years I've lived here I've watch deer walk around my house, hang at my sand mound and move or come from a field about 300 yards away, this year with the cameras showed me not one but 2 deer in the 140" range, an 8 and a 6x5 split G2 buck... this year I was going to pay attention to these.

That got me to hang 2 stands on the property, one for my girlfriend, new to archery and bowhunting and one for me. I hung them near the trails around the sand mound, a natural funnel between my house and the state route road that parallels the property, thus why I'm seeing these deer... sightings of both buck came and went but resident doe were/are abundant. We hunted these first 2 sets with great opportunity the first day and second morn... my girl missing her first ever shot at buck, then again while not knowing a 100" 8 point moved in behind her after I passed him by... doe's came and went without me firing a shot, hoping she could...

This got me thinking, I'm too close to her, we're hunting the same deer and unless a giant walks in, I likely won't shoot... so I decided to hang an observation stand up over the hill from my house where the giant bucks have gone every time. I knew they were coming from the field, stopping by my place before walking over the ridge to their bedding area...wherever that was... I hunted this "observation" stand the second evening... Almost immediately I watched 2 smaller bucks sparring in the mountain laurel, then does, a resident we call "Crank" because of her frozen tail, a target doe that chases bucks around came by me... I so wanted to drop Crank but they were headed towards my girl so I passed... then my target 140" 8 came by, just like I thought...from bedding to the field... okay, good observation.. the next morn spotted 2 more bucks, 2 100" plus bucks from the field to the mountain laurel... good observation... then nothing last night forward to this morning... after watching light come fast and hearing a deer walk in before me (with always the knowledge it has to be the giant LOL) I snuck in, climbed up and waited. Nothing happened right away but I felt as if my climbing platform wasn't quite right so I stood and was looking around when a doe suddenly appeared coming from my house area. I was puzzled why I hadn't received a text that she saw it and it was coming, and since it wasn't going to her, she was alone, she was uphill likely not to barrel into the bedding area, I said this is the perfect doe for me to tag out.

She came right at me, nosing around when suddenly she looked dead at me, I froze, relying on the Ultimate Camo do it's job... she stared, I remain statuesque... she stared, I froze, she moved closer and stared, I'm steel... she wagged her tail, turned around and paralleled me uphill, this allowed me to grab my bow, turn, and prepare...at 18 yards I'm at full draw, a little "meh" and she froze, darn the luck... a branch blocking her vitals... patience bow hunter, patience... a few steps and another "meh" I settled the pin, squeezed the back muscles and loosed the arrow, THWACK! WHOAW! down she went, kicking and bellowing but within seconds, expiring as I nocked a second arrow... turns out the arrow broke her back, passed through the liver and caught the off lung... hard quartered away at my angle. This actually pleased me, she was 75 yards from my garage, didn't charge the bedding area nor the house funnel area. This observation stand ended up being a darn good killing stand... I had a shot at the giant 8, killed my doe and know a tree I can close the distance on these traveling bucks. I'm pleased at Just this Doe. :-)

In the upper right was the branch that blocked her vitals, after a step and a stop I shot over that branch.

[​IMG]

After the multitudes of texts, I got down, met a buddy (Luke) that suddenly showed up after his hunt to help and pics, we got her hung up for the day, in the garage it should be more than cool enough to set up the meat.

Just a Doe, another one I'm more than pleased, more than excited to take, God blessed me with her. She was/is, the perfect doe for me this year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job and awesome story!!!!...but it is just a doe :poke: (couldn't help!)

3. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. That is just a BIG doe.

4. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great story. Sounds like you found a great spot for a stand

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, Bro! Did you lose my digits? :sad:

6. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been told that any deer with a bow is a trophy.

Congrats on putting some meat in the freezer.

7. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that is a big doe! Congrats!!!

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Great write up and congrats. Sounds like you built right in the middle of another honey hole. Crops around the area?

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! While I might not take a pic every time, I get the same rush with a fawn as I do any other deer.

Curious, why no shot on the 8? Doe only or saving him for your Halloween buck?

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!

I still get shaky knees and excited when I see a doe I know I am going to shoot.

11. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks tynimiller LOL

Rich71, thanks, she's a good one. The perfect one.

iHunt, I'm thinking so, we'll see. ;-)

PT, no... just replied to the top current list in my phone, I had so many more I could and should have. :wave: I'll be sure NOT to miss you when BBD is in the airwaves.

Goosepond Monster, I couldn't agree more.

nanook, I only glassed for a second when I said she's a big doe...

Matt, thanks friend... the field down from me is beans.

cls74, thanks... 40 yards out, through brush and low light, need to close the distance or catch him sooner. ;-)

Coop, that's fantastic, I hope I never lose it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  12. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice doe but an even better story. I've always enjoyed your stories over the years. Congrats!!

13. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rob! Sounds like a good spot.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I take a million pics with every deer I shoot...lol

Congrats Rob! Shes a biggin!

15. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rob! Good luck on the big 8. A 140" 8 pt is definitely a stud!

16. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    great read Rob, as always

Congrats on The nanny, not just a Doe a Nanny.

Do you have room for one more behind the house. 100 incher would do!!!!!!!!!

Congrats again

PT i didn't get a text either

17. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    every deer harvested with a bow is a trophy! congrats!

18. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rob. Great story and great pics as always.

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rob!! Definitely a big doe. Sounds like you have a great spot picked out.

Good luck to you and your girlfriend the rest of the season.

20. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great doe!