Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ChuckC is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antler point restrictions are GREAT...if they're self imposed. No way should the state be dictating this IMO. I understand the idea that it helps let younger bucks walk but the fact is some young bucks with great potential will be shot and the lesser young bucks are the one's left to survive. The only thing point restrictions do is count points, it's up to the hunter to make the decision if the buck is old enough or worthy of a tag. Heck, what do you do when you have a 5 year old 4 or 5 pointer running around doing all your breeding....you take the management out of the hands of the people that can make that decision.
    If you consider an unsuccessful hunt a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together
    -Fred Bear

Skywalker is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another point of view. Antler restrictions has less to do with antlers and more to do with changing the herd dynamics. With less bucks to kill, hunters shift to killing does instead.

A Deeper Look At Antler Point Restrictions ? Wired To Hunt
    2012 Prime Centroid
    G5 Optix RX Sight
    QAD Ultrarest HDX
    6" Axion Silencer Stabilizer
    G5 Mag-Loc Halo Quiver
    Carbon Expresss Maxima Blue Streak Arrows
    Rage 2 blade broadhead

uncljohn is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wolvenkinde View Post
    Not if I have been essentially hand-feeding that 8 point since it was a fawn(just giving him the pass till he's big enough to hang on the wall). Also a button is not considered an antlered deer - at least not legally for harvest in MI(nor most other states as far as I know)...and there are not hardly any 1.5 year old spikes that will reach the same 'trophy' potential as a 1.5 year old 6pt could.
    Where I live there is no such thing as a 1.5 y.o. 6pt.
    The NRA - 1.4% of the US population forcing its views on 98.6% of Americans

gri22ly is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very lucky to hunt an area that had no restrictions and then implemented them. I got to see first hand and document the results.

When there where no AR's the buck harvest was sad to say the list...30+ yearling bucks would fall each year and the doe harvest was very low also....rarely would you see a decent buck. This is what 300 gun hunters killed on a 2 day hunt during the rut.

This is year 1 harvest pic's after implementing a 15" out side spread AR.

This is year 3 harvest pic's after implementing a 15" out side spread AR. Not only has the quality of the buck harvest went way up, the doe harvest tripled also. This is what 300 gun hunters killed on a 2 day hunt during the rut.

Tell me one more time how bad AR's are....and how they don't work.
    Last edited by gri22ly; 10-08-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    SHY FLATS ANTLER MILITA

Im proud to be a customer, I will not fail and will deliver at ANY cost; "Dont tread on me".

muzzyman88 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tynimiller View Post
    You do realize every state that has enlisted APRs has not experienced this loss of antlered harvests longer than one year? After that one year you have now just shifted the normal high yearling/fawn buck kills one year older...and now everyone in the woods sees more 2.5 year olds like they used to see 1.5 year olds.

*The use of the word every is based on the states I've researched or heard from reputable sites/people on this matter...I in no way guarantee that 100% and please correct me if wrong with a link.
    I'm not sure I follow you. I never stated there would be a decline in buck numbers harvested. I said that at some point, you will plateau with the number of bucks to does in your herd. Which in my mind is a good thing and is the sustainability of herd balancing.

I have a very good friend who's family owns a small piece of property north of me. Historically, if anyone at camp killed a buck at all, it was a big deal. Over the past couple of years, they've been getting better and better deer every season and now they're taking nice 8's every year. The surrounding properties also.

AR's are a very good thing if done reasonably. 8 points is ridiculous however. 3 points to side seems to work well in PA.
    Bowtech Archery
    Spot Hogg Archery
    Vaportrail Archery
    Lone Wolf Treestands
    Badlands Packs
    Slick Trick Broadheads
    Sitka Gear

tynimiller is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman88 View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you. I never stated there would be a decline in buck numbers harvested. I said that at some point, you will plateau with the number of bucks to does in your herd. Which in my mind is a good thing and is the sustainability of herd balancing.

I have a very good friend who's family owns a small piece of property north of me. Historically, if anyone at camp killed a buck at all, it was a big deal. Over the past couple of years, they've been getting better and better deer every season and now they're taking nice 8's every year. The surrounding properties also.

AR's are a very good thing if done reasonably. 8 points is ridiculous however. 3 points to side seems to work well in PA.
    I think I mis-read/understood you, not you me, apologies.
    The Deer Alarm...an interesting article on re-examining how deer "think" and react.

www.smallacrehunting.com
    Site based on spreading experiences and knowledge that any hunter can learn from....not too mention I try to have as many giveaways as I can afford!

Yes I lost to the Kansas boys...

muzzyman88 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I mis-read/understood you, not you me, apologies.
    Thats what I thought... keep walkin... ;-)
    Bowtech Archery
    Spot Hogg Archery
    Vaportrail Archery
    Lone Wolf Treestands
    Badlands Packs
    Slick Trick Broadheads
    Sitka Gear

Dawn Assassin is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nj has antler restrictions in counties theres no public ground to hunt?

Dunn County is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only speak for IN, but if a meat hunter than states need to encourage more doe harvests. Too many "meat" hunters I know don't shoot a single doe...ever. The worst part is no matter how you handle it some sect will always be unhappy, I few mild APR mixed with encouraged doe harvests (cheaper tags or what not) the best avenue for both worlds.
    Couldn't agree more with much state above. You can't call yourself a meat hunter and say that this is unfair to those who hunt for meat if you are not willing to shoot a doe which by all accounts is better eating then any age class before from late pre-rut on. I wish it was easier to enforce and identify age as that is really the true factor of which deer should be harvested by.

Where I hunt a trophy buck is typically a 3 1/2 year old and 95% of the hunters will not pass them up. I let a lot of deer go hoping they get to 4 1/2 and it just doesn't happen. When it does its big news as you get those bucks that start reaching more potential and get 160+. I just want the hunting in WI (where I hunt) to evolve to being that we still let 3 1/2 express more potential and then harvest 4 1/2 year olds knowing they will be studs and that a few will have the potential to be world class 5 1/2 year olds. For the meat hunters of WI it continues to be endless doe tags.
    Mathews Creed
    QAD Ultra Rest HDX RH Mathews Lost Camo
    AXT Primal X5
    NAP Bloodrunner/Killzone 100g Broadheads
    Victory VAP 400 Arrows
    Ranger 100 Rangefinder: Vortex
    Easton Full Metal Jacket
    Muddy Vantage Treestands
    Muddy Camera Arm/Micro Mount
    Monster RAXX Mineral/Attractant
    Covert Trail Cams

DLC Covert Pro Staff