Wisconsin deer hunt 2014-Big changes are here.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PSEREVENGEMAN, Sep 20, 2013.

1. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's an article that Paul Smith, the Milwaukee journal outdoor writer penned as He sat on the science team of the DTR process and now realizes He was played for 7 Saturdays in St.Point.
    2014 will have:
    1) Electronic registration
    2) Either sex gun tag
    3)Bonus buck tags
    4)No December antlerless hunt
    5) DMAP on state land with tract specific doe tags.
    6) No action taken on baiting

This will now force us into ag tags for herd control. Class A dumpster fire.

Paul Smith - Draft DNR deer hunt rules leave out science team's ideas

2. sbrandt300

sbrandt300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is the bonus buck the same thing as earn a buck?

3. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    No. You will be rewarded with additional buck tags per weapon when You register 2 antlerless! Yippee! We could of had an additional 17 buck tags for 6 hunters last year. Immature bucks will be decimated as reward for taking baldies.Combine this with electronic registration? Brilliant move.

4. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The electronic registration doesn't bother me. Iowa has been doing it for years. Yes, you could lie, but would you risk losing your hunting rights for life? If a DNR officer starts poking around and finds that you called in a doe for a fork horn...you are toast. But we also have a one buck per hunter per season law. Unless you are a land owner, then you get two. But The Bonus Buck program will not help deer pop and will actually hurt the mature buck population.

5. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    Iowa is smart, they realize the resource that is a mature buck. No OTC non resident buck tags even for landowners. Michigan just went APR's on 8 additional counties. Now Wisconsin will put even more pressure on a buck ever seeing a 3rd birthday. Unreal

6. sbrandt300

Dislikes Received:
    To bad they couldn't make a rule were you were not allowed to kill and buck unless it met a certain size criteria. like example has at least 4 points on one side.

7. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    The DNR has admitted they manage for mouths not antlers. They also have an agenda to kill deer anyway possible south of hwy 29 as landowners have refused to do so for a bunch of reasons.

8. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to whack a couple of baldies this year. I'm really not buck hunting this year. If I see a big one, I'll shoot him but I've turned a new chapter in my hunting life. It will need to be at my best guess a 3.5yr old to get an arrow. It's not that I want to get skunked, but over the last 9 years, I've only shot bucks. two were buttons that I thought were does. In Iowa you can call buttons in as does because they are hard to tell apart, even at 30 yards.

I think Wisconsin will be changing this bonus buck rule pretty soon. After a couple of seasons of record breaking, they will see the entries for P&Y and B&C start to slip and really fall off completely. With this type of program, WI will turn into NY in 10 years.

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, we can take two bucks per year. One with a bow and one with gun. Or, you can get a late season muzzy tag and use a bow to fill that tag. In addition, landowners can also get another buck tag for either weapon. As a landowner, we can kill three bucks per year. In my opinion, that's probably too many.

10. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    Bow season and shotgun season are different. I said one buck per hunter per season. I didn't realize land owners got three bucks. I would agree that seems one too many. I don't mind if you are a land owner and get a second buck tag.

11. sbrandt300

Dislikes Received:
    this is whats going to happen with the bonus buck. Everyone is going to think its the greatest thing and pace every doe they see the first year or 2. Then its going to come down to no seeing any deer. Now add in that electronic registration and now everyones going to start calling in does that they havnt actually shot just to get that extra buck tag. The doe and buck population is going to drop to record lows and then the doe pop. will bounce back but the bucks wont.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know of a lot of bowhunters that get the muzzy tag and hunt a second buck with the bow.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1) Electronic registration OK. I see both sides. I'm fine with it.
    2) Either sex gun tag sure
    3)Bonus buck tags gay
    4)No December antlerless hunt fine
    5) DMAP on state land with tract specific doe tags. this is good.
    6) No action taken on baiting sucks balls.

This will now force us into ag tags for herd control. Class A dumpster fire. explain this more. I don't understand what this really means.

Paul Smith - Draft DNR deer hunt rules leave out science team's ideas[/QUOTE]

14. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha. I also didn't realize you could do that. If I bought a muzzy tag I'd be reaching out and touching them with that. :biggun: LAte season bow in Iowa is COLD with a capital C. And the deer are all on edge from being shot at for 3 months.

15. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    "This will now force us into ag tags for herd control. Class A dumpster fire. explain this more. I don't understand what this really means."

We have managed for herd health and mature bucks for 35 years. We take about 15 with a bow till 10/15. Lay off antlerless hunting and focus on mature bucks till the December doe hunt, take 20 some doe that weekend. Now this management tool is gone. The only option without disrupting the mature buck hunt will be ag tags which allows us to shoot 35 antlerless with a rifle year around. The downside is those big does in March could be mature bucks.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your guys are truly an extreme case though and is not representative of most the state. Heck I have food plots and 80 acres and did not see a single deer opening weekend. I'd be happy right now just to kill a doe fawn!!!

17. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [/quote]

18. PSEREVENGEMAN

Dislikes Received:
    [/QUOTE]

1) You have to register the deer by midnite on the day of kill. Goodluck with cell reception, web being up, ect. You recover at 11pm, it's now 1210am, congrats You are in violation.

3) I don't think You understand. Every hunter gets a buck tag, if they fill 2 antlerless tags they now have another buck tag. This is by weapon. 2 for bow and 2 for gun. 90% of hunters don't wait for mature bucks anyway.

19. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Electronic registration is awesome. No more driving around trying to find an open check station in the middle of the night or early morning before work...whats not to love?

What wrong with baiting?

I can see the extra buck tags. Heard age will go down for sure on that one. Bad move.

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like our electronic registration.