broadheads from walmart

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by colton96, Sep 11, 2013.

1. colton96

colton96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    has anyone ever shot the allen broadheads from walmart? ive thought about buying them for deer hunting cause they are so much cheaper than other broadheads out there. im currently shooting killzones but i was just wondering if any of yalll have tried these allen broadheads out!

2. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From one bargain hunter to another, don't skimp when it comes to heads...its just not worth it. My buddy lost a big 10-pt to a shoulder shot last year. He was using a no name head. If (speculation) he had a better head we might have recovered that deer.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as they are sharp and you put them into the right spot I'm sure they will be just as deadly as your Killzones.
    I have not used them though nor am I familiar

4. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad uses them with some success. His bow isn't completely tuned like mine is. I tried shooting them never could get them to shoot right. Like said about don't skip on your head especially don't down grade.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure I would consider Allen a "no name" ^^^ Allen, although not as big arguably as they once were, has been in the business of making hunting products for far longer than MANY of the big names on the market today

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend not using them. Was practicing with a buddy about a month ago and he had bought some. Field tips and rage were dead on, put on some Allen's and was off 4 inches consistently.

However, if you get it tuned to shoot like your field tips, as long as they are sharp like mentioned above and you make a good shot, they'll work.

7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to wait all year to sling an arrow and a great buck and you want to use something not reputable or something you know works much better>

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A well tuned bow will shoot any head accurately. An out of tune bow can shoot mechanicals like field points...but not broadheads. If the bow is tuned you can use any head you desire with very little variation. IF your bow is out of tune then you're gonna only have luck with mechanicals.

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right next to the Allens at walmart there are some Muzzy MX-3. these are $20 for a 3 pack and are fantastic heads. My brother dropped a real nice 10 pointer last year with them. It was a 30 yard shot and the buck didn't even go 30 yards.

I've shot them just playing around many times and they shoot great. Right now they are right with my field points.

10. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather buy the Muzzy's next to the Allen heads. There are a few things you can skimp on, wrist sling, string wax, cat whiskers... But not the broadhead.

11. caddis74354

caddis74354 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting 3 seasons now, not an expert for sure, 8 of the 9 deer that I have shot have been killed with an Allen broadhead. I also shoot Allen arrows. I've shot all 3 kinds, the ones shaped like muzzy's, the orange ones, and the regular old fixed blades. They also have a new one out this year that are shaped like Montecs made out of one piece of metal. Gonna buy those on payday!!
    With a tuned bow, and good shot placement you could shoot a butter knife and still have a dead deer. I think broadhead companies give hunters false confidence and cause some people to take shots they wouldn't normally take just because the package, commercial, or magazine ad said it didn't matter.
    Again, i'm just a novice but in my experience, it hasn't mattered what name is on the package. Also if you lose or destroy an Allen broadhead it will cost you $2 instead of $10.

12. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I respect this advice. It's coming from experience with the product. I'm sure the allen heads kill deer just fine, I have seen cheap heads break apart on impact, not allens tho.

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used some Allen heads years ago, they resembled a Thunderhead. I never did get them to fly like the Muzzy's I was shooting so I offered them to my nephew and he killed a doe and a 7pt with them that season. So I guess they worked lol.

14. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm willing to bet the Allen broadheads do just fine out of a well-tuned bow, but if you're not convinced of that I can't recommend buying them. You're more likely to be calm, cool, and collected when a shot presents itself if you have full faith in your equipment, to me that justifies spending ten more dollars on a product I know I can trust.

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had rage break on a deer! Hahaha. Glad I dont shoot those anymore. 1 pack was plenty.
    My muzzys are tough. Bass pro has 6 packs on sale for $29!
    Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

16. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO - all things considered, once the arrow hits the target (beyond placement), broadhead performance is the most important factor in determining how lethal the shot is. There are plenty of ways to save a few dollars but the last thing I would do is buy a bargain priced broadhead just because of the cost. Doesn't' mean you have to buy the most expensive - but I'm sticking with a main name manufacturer like NAP, Muzzy, G5, WASP, etc....

17. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the allen is known as a low quality brand. I've seen Nap and rage in walmart before maybe a little cheaper than some places but don't skimp on quality

18. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The basic premiss I have found to hold true, you get what you pay for.

19. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say if you have been practicing and keep the blades sharpened, a kill is a kill is a kill regardless of what broadhead you use!

20. HillbillyD-Luxx

HillbillyD-Luxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a guess, but if you belong to this forum, more than likely you have a nice bow setup. I know that I have around $1000 wrapped up in just my bow alone. That's not counting targets, arrows, release, stands, etc. I just think it's a feeble attempt to save money by buying cheap broadheads. Not saying they won't kill a deer, but I would trust a well known manufacturer when it comes to where the rubber meets the road, or where the broadhead meets the deer.