State Land Topo Stand Help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by No.6Hunter, Sep 3, 2013.

1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was hoping that anyone with Topo experience could help me with this spot I picked out for this years State land hunt here in Michigan. This spot is about 20-25 yds into some thick and is bordered by relatively new select cut, Tried to find a "Bench" to set up on. I am very new to Topo so this is my first Topo selected stand ever.

First Choice.jpg

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you provide a more detailed map (zoom level?) Your showing us several miles of land here.

3. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, Here is zoomed in as far as I can go

First Choice 2.jpg

4. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would try to isolate the funnels, whether they be hills, a creek, ect... most deer tend to follow the path of least resistance, ie they don't like to travel up steep hills, but they might if they are pressured. I would get out and walk the area to get an idea of the territory, then if you can find the trails where they might converge and set up there.

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im having a hard time finding that area. Can you post the coordinates.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nevermind... Found it.

8. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No expert but, you might try looking for a trail that runs parallel to the river at the southern end of the map where the left slope of the gorge is very close to the river. Work that area and you should be able to spot signs of heavy traffic on the muddy banks. You might even be able to float that big boy home.

9. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like that area just west of where it says 'Branch' on the river with the drainage coming down to the river and just north of that where the nice flat surrounded by those knobs is...the flat(or close around it) I would bet is a bedding area especially when nastier weather and the NW prevailing winds in colder temps. Look for where they(trails) are coming off the higher terrain(generally the easier routes except in flight) to get to the river for water or where they might be crossing, and also up at the west end/top of the ravine/drainage that opens up in the floodplain looking right at the 'Branch' on the map. Another spot I'd scout is south to where the floodplain narrows about where it says 'West' on the river and same situation with that drainage there. I'd stay away from where its easiest for people to travel and where those old roads/trails are marked if possible. Some where between the 'T' and 'A' in STATE looks good except for the road being close. You need to scout though and see where other guys are already and where the deer actually prefer to travel and bed, depending on human interference, food sources, watering sites and river crossings.
    oh yeah - forgot to say I would have 2(or 4) spots picked out and top and bottom of the valley slope(near the drainages) to account for different wind direction/air(drafts)flow - taking into account for morning(cool air is coming down the hills) vs evening(warmer air is going up).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  10. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta walk it and get beyond 1 mile from a parking lot. Bring a gps and mark spots.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spots I would hunt given the wind. Get out there and scout to see if you find deer movement evidence. If you do, mark up the topo map and bring a gps if available to plot spots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, awesome information Thank you very much. My next step will have to be new spots for wind. My big issue I should have mentioned is I am 4 hours away from hunting camp and only have a couple more weekends for scouting. Hopefully I can find a couple more spots before the season starts. A lot of new logging trails in the past couple years so this map is only 75% efficient.

13. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    great info here. it made me re-look over my areas. Found at least one spot I'm need to look into.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted in the "dark" many times, meaning I have entered a place for the first time with only having scouted it via topo/aerial maps. I have confidence enough in topo maps that I will set up in the early morning darkness without having ever scouted the area. You will be fine and I wish you the best of luck.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    VS, let me know if Im wrong. You look for spots that have a rapid decline which will funnel the deer along the hillside until they get to a gradual decline?

Are these the only spots you look for? and have you had good success when you set up in these areas? (Success = seeing deer within bow range)

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I look for spots on the sides of hills that rapidly decline. Right above that rapid decline should be some more level ground which deer like to use to cruise along hillsides. I have good success year round in getting deer within bow range using that method.

Also, if I can combine those topographical changes with edgelines produced by changes in the forest such as where the hardwoods run into the softwoods pines, then I know I am in the money for deer movement. That combination has put me on many whitetail bow kills and sightings.

For example, in the map I marked up above, I see some real good spots where I like the changes in terrain and it just so happens there is a clearing or at least new growth that butts up next to old hardwoods, thereby combining edgeline hunting with solid elevation/topographical hunting.

Thats just me.