Difference between the Killzone and the Rage?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tpmonaha, Aug 25, 2013.

1. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this may stir some conflict on here because so many people shoot the rage...I did for 5 years then switched, but a lot of people on BHOD shoot the killzone. What is the main difference between the two. Has anyone shot both of them and liked one over the other? I shoot the spitfires now but was just curious about the killzone because I like NAP heads.

Thanks for any advice and I know everyone shoots something different and what they feel comfortable with so thats why I just want to see what everyone has to say the difference between the two!

Thanks guys! I actually have to buy a pack of broadheads before the opening day on Sept 7 so thats why I am asking.

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Love the killzones havent shot rage but from what I see is the killzones are cheaper and work the same if not better

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rage blades are held in with an o-ring, while the Killzones are locked in until impact. I know some guys that swear by rage but I would never hunt with them because having o-rings on anything is just a pain. If they wear out and crack without you knowing theres a good chance you'll miss it or wound it.

A lot of broadheads will get the job done, it's just that some are more marketing than others. The debate will go on, whether its mechanical or fixed, this brand or that brand, etc.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are both effective killing tools if you have the correct shot placement. They both basically do the same thing. I have killed several deer with the Rage, the furthest I had to track was about 80 yards. I have a package of Killzone's and will be hunting with hem this year, not because I don't care for the Rage, but I won these in a raffle and figured I might as well give them a go. I'm sure I will be just as pleased with their performance as they seem to be a good head.

5. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They will both kill deer. The rage open easier than the Kill zones so the rage loses less energy on impact.

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the rage and their BS way their blades locked closed. Prone to fail. IMO.

I forgot my BH and borrowed a buddy's Vortec mechanicals and they made a believer out of me. Had the 125grain go clean through a nice boar hog and drop him 20' away.
    VortexBroadheads.com

7. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The main difference is their method of deployment. They are both rear deploying and roughly 2 inch (assuming 2 blade).

The rage uses an o-ring to hold the blades in place. The system works as long as the o-ring does. The issue with the o-ring is most people do not check their condition. If they dry out, crack, or are used a few times, chances are very good they will open in air or in the quiver. You need to be pretty OCD about these. If you are, the heads will work just fine.

The killzone uses a tension type system to lock the blades in place. They kind of overlap each other and clip into place. While I like this system better, the same OCD must be applied. Once you open and lock the blades in place a number of times, they lose their tension and must be replaced. I was trying to diagnose a flight issue the other day on a well used killzone (and rage). They were opening in air (both) because they were so worn out.

The point is, they are both effective killing broadheads, but you need to be a little more OCD about them. You have to ensure they are functioning correctly and are in good condition. If I were standing in front of each, I would buy the killzone, only because I like their deployment system a bit better.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot Rages for years. Never had any issues that the Rage haters state all the time. I switched to KillZones last year. I liked the way they locked better than the o ring.

This year I'm shooting both KillZones & HellRazors in a 125 gr, another reason I switched.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Both will kill, anyone who states otherwise is simply not intelligent in archery equipment. I am merely not a believer in Rage's locking style or their over the top advertising craze so I'd probably choose Killzone. But I'm a fixed head guy personally, I like to remove all chance of failure (less moving parts). I'd say go with which ever one you can and want, practice, practice and then go practice and then hunt! I'd recommend next year possibly not making a broadhead decision quite so late, the more time you give yourself to practice with a given set up the better. Good luck this year!

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rage blades are NO LONGER held in place by an O Ring ONLY. Yes if you are shooting the ORIGINAL Rage 2 Blade or 3 Blade they are, but the newer ones are held in place by a Shock Collar. Which I admit is far better than the O-Rings. YES, I have shot both and both work equally well. While what Indynotch50 said is true, the new Shock Collar on the Rage sets them apart. Both broadheads fly like the practice head they include. IMO the Rage(especially the Extremes) out performs the NAP Killzone when it comes to wound channels.
    I don't understand this thing about O-rings cracking or rotting and the tension on the NAP getting loose over time. I must be different. I only hunt with my Rage Broadheads. They give you the Practice Tip for just that PRACTICE! I don't shoot my Rage broadheads until I am shooting at a deer. Same for the NAP. I shoot them once and then on to the next new one. There ARE 3 in a pack. I keep the used ones incase I ever run out, but I shoot a new broad head every time I go hunting. Maybe that is why I have NEVER lost a deer shooting a Rage and I have killed many deer with the Rage broadhead. Or, maybe I am different. Oh well. I hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  11. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The killzone in most ways is a fail safe Bh.
    The rage did have issues with the Oring
    But they solved that with the shock collar last year. The new hypodermic has a black shock collar alone the older ones use an O ring and an orange shock collar.
    I can tell u that I truly believe that with the 2 blades on the kill zine I use the coc amd not the trophy tip. It seems to allow the blades to open easier with lower poundage.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

12. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what is in my quiver this year. Have never had a problem with the Hellrazors, but wanted to give the Killzones a shot this year. I took a 'yote with one over the winter and was amazed. If it causes half the blood trail on a deer it did on the 'yote I will be sold! Of course, a LOT of that is the location of the shot on the animal.

13. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

14. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The main difference between the two of them is they aren't Slicktricks ;)

15. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience with the shock collar.
    There was a kid in the shop the other day who had one of the most worn out sets of broadheads I've ever seen. The o-ring on the rage would not hold the blade, and the tension / clip on the killzone would not either.
    For most of us, we would get rid of them or change the blades, but I'm not going to assume all are most.

Both are good heads. Heck, I have them both.

16. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't had a problem with the 2 blade rage yet and since I didn't buy them ill shoot them till they're used up. Rage did make an improvement on the o ring and switched it to the collar version which is suppose to lock the blades in better. once my rages are gone ill switch to killzones.

17. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to be argumentative Sam, but in regards to wound channels, how could a 2" Rage outperform a 2" Killzone or a 2.3" Rage Extreme outperform a 2.375" Killzone Maxx?

Just wondering what you were referring to.

18. rweston416

rweston416 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  19. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rages are crap in my opinion. There blades break easy and so do there ferrils. I like the killzone no bands or clips to worry about and there tough as nails. This is a pass thru on a 140 lb hog with a killzone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't use either of them at this point, looking a the lack of acceptable penetration you can see, for example on several BOD videos with the kill zone. You can find all kinds of examples for rages as well.
    I don't see we're there is any real difference between them.