Tracking Ideas

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swampstomper, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting close to the season and I'm sure many are more skilled in this area than I am but as I age I learn. Add input and information for tracking that could help out.

1) I always carry orange or pink flagging to tie to trees or branches to mark the trail as I go just in case I loose blood.
    2) Give the deer plenty of time before you start. Mentally mark the spot where you hit the shot and where you last saw the deer run. This looks different from the ground than it did from up in a tree. Blood color gives a hint as to if you should wait several hours or get started. Bright blood good, dark blood needs lots of time.
    3) If the weather is warm enough, look for daddy long leg spiders, they are always attracted to the blood and help find that fine spray when it's hard to see.
    4) Move carefully, turned over leaves could cause you to loose a track.
    5) Look higher than just the ground. Grass, leaves, the sides of trees etc could have blood spray on them.

I'm sure there are many more ideas out there, add to the list and we can all maybe learn something.

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the orange clip on tags when I track. I also turn on my GPS so I can have a better chance in case I jump him or get off the trail I can backtrack

3. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda covered it, but check the blood on the arrow if you have one. And of course small bubbles + bright blood = lungs. Of course 8 times out 10 both lungs means you witnessed the death roll.

4. Swampstomper

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot that one but I have GPS and Compass in the woods, especially at night when you can get turned around or could find a shorter rout for the drag out.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The main thing I do to ensure an easy blood trail is taking my time to make a good shot or not at all. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but I do not get trigger happy at all anymore. I hate spending hours tracking blood an animal only to come home empty handed. I really only focus on the far shoulder with hopes of a heart shot or not at all. If I have to rush the shot I don't take it.

Tolet paper is also good for tracking and the rain will wash it in so your not needing to go back and pick them up.

Also as mentioned my GPS app "motion X" is great to have running while your tracking.

Good thread. BTW

6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    (1) If it is legal, a good dog.
    (2) Blue Star.
    (3) Friends.

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He wins. I killed 8 last year did not have to track any of them.

8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Tried the blue star and it didn't work. What did I do wrong?
    Put the two tablets in the spray bottle with water etc. didn't seem to work. I think I threw away the rest.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I hunt wild hogs most of the year and if you don't get a good shot on them they will run you through some crap:( Pun intended.

10. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree with afflicted tolet paper has worked for me fo 30 years you can lay it right next to the blood. its easier when you have a faint blood trail

11. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bring a kid along to help. No really. Kids are closer to the ground, and that is a big help in finding blood. If the hit is questionable, it also helps to have one person with their head down on the ground, and the other with their head up looking for the deer you might just bump. and I have to agree, making a quality shot in the first place solves a lot of problem. I was lucky enough to see all three of my deer fall last year, and that saves a lot of time tracking.

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm tracking, I actually only want one other person with me, unless we need to grid search. That person stays at last blood. The more people you have, the more likely your next sign gets trampled before you can see it.

You're looking for more than just blood. Hair, overturned leaves, snapped branches... all can lead to the next spot of blood. Tread as lightly as you can.

While the first moments after the shot, a deer will crash through anything just to get away, after the trail grows long, they will generally take the path of least resistance.

You will often find wounded (especially gut shot) deer near water.

If the path changes direction suddenly, stop and scan the area before preceding. They could be piled up or bedded within the next 25 yards or so.

If you come to a bed and lose the trail, don't forget to back track. Wounded deer will often bed where they feel safe and then head back to their pre-shot destination when they get up retracing (at least in part) the trail they came in on to bed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

13. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Worst case scenario, you don't find the deer watch the skies. Turkey vultures can point you in the right direction.

14. Swampstomper

Dislikes Received:
    Agree 100 percent with the shot placement, practice and self control. Had a hard track 3 or 4 years ago on a 10 yard shot. The doe looked at me about the time I released the arrow. Still couldn't tell if it was my shot or her moving when I released the shot. Hit didn't sound good. Blood and fluids on the arrow gave me a sick feeling knowing it was not a good hit. 4 PM, gave her a bit over 4 hours before I started the track with lights and gps. She only went 80 yards but the track didn't leave much sign and she got into some tall swamp grass that made it even more difficult. I prefer to see them fall but over the years, have found out that at times they don't always cooperate.

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    - I totally agree with the 2 man track team theory mentioned by Fitz.
    - I've never used them myself, but there are those green flashlights that are supposed to pick up blood sign in low light
    - I've never done it myself, but my hunting partner (my cousin) keeps a field tip in his quiver and will shoot that arrow from his stand into the ground right next to where he shoots an animal unless he sees the arrow he originally shot on the ground. That way there's little doubt as to exactly the deer was when it was hit
    - As others have noted, don't keep your eyes locked on/to the ground. Scan up and around

16. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you have it down pretty good to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good thread. I saved the attached that has a few additions.

-Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There's some good stuff in here, lets keep it coming :tu:

19. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Carry an old or field point tipped arrow. After the shot when the deer are gone shoot your the arrow right at the spot where the deer was standing. That way you know exactly where the deer stood once you get to the ground.

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread. :tu: