Scent killing stuff is getting to me again

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Illinoishunter102, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been reading around and shopping when I got interested in getting an ozone generator as a scent killer. I know that cleaning companies use these after fires, floods, etc..

I never got interested in the Ozonics stuff, just didn't seem legit to me. Too much room for error.

This machine is just meant to kill bacteria on your clothes in a contained area. Has anybody used this particular product or know anything about it?

http://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Elim-A-Scent%C2%99-Pro/dp/B002CYMFV4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

61LHT2V7ouL._SL1227_.jpg

2. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used this particular product but I do have the original Ozonics 100. Haven't used it in field yet so I can't comment on that. What I can tell you is late last year, we had a hot water tank leak and flood a downstairs bedroom.After clean up, that musty smell stayed.....and stayed. One evening I had an idea,"close the door and let the Ozonics run a couple hours". I was astounded when I checked back 3 hrs later.The room smelled fresh and to this day, the smell has not returned.

3. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what I was hoping to hear. Thanks

4. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I've never seen this before. I have used ozonics in the past and they work but it was just another thing to carry. Which when self filming it was one thing I didn't want to lug around. Last year I used the tinks b tech spray system and never got winded. That with scentblocker clothing and you can't go wrong. Awesome products

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

5. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ozonic's is the only solution because you MUST have something running all the time in the stand or you will get busted on your breath alone! Ozonic's work!!!!

6. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt the wind and you won't need to spend money on scent control.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scent control crap has been the biggest scam that hunting has ever seen. Nothing has parted hunters with more money and less returns then scent control clothing, and gimmicks.

8. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I was hesitant of even creating this thread. I know scent control can turn into a heated discussion.

I just liked the idea, plus it was much cheaper compared to other ozone products.

9. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the Buck Country Products (you have one in the pic) for 2 seasons with great success. I have the smaller (micro) to take to my any stand. The Pro (one you have pictured) in 2 stands with a 12V locator type battery there and the Magnum (big one) in the room I keep my clothes. They work great. I cut my use of spray stuff by 2/3. I have an old clothes stand/rack with it hung on the wall above it. I used to always spray my clothes etc. every time I came home. Now I just hang them. You can put your clothes in a tote and put the little one on top and remove all the odors.

To try it take a new pair of leather gloves or your old sticky boots put them in a box with one over night. Or put a plastic garlic or steak seasoning jar (which seem to smell forever) under one for overnight and when you smell it you will laugh out loud. I own a Resort in northern WI and last fall had some bird hunters stay a few days. When they left their cottage smelled like wet dog. I put the Magnum on the fridge, came back in 2 days and NO smell. I recommend the Buck Country ones. My local shop stocks them and the are not that expensive. Way less than Ozonics and more conveneint And a WI company (but made in china).

Just a note. I just spoke to Buck Country and they told me that the same products are sold under Whitetail'R brand and soon the Buck Country brand will be not offered. Same product with different name. Buck Country parent company will focus mainly on the pet industry.

As far as scent control is a gimmick. I take great pains in scent control. To the point now that no one gets to hunt with me since they do not. I asked my buddies how many bucks they saw last year or the last 5 years combined. They will be lucky to see 1 or 2 and maybe get a shot. I passed 17 different bucks last fall. 2 in the 130-140 class. I had 42 opportunites to shoot a buck at 25 yards or less. It works for me. By the way they call me "Dumass", I never did shoot one and am buying beef.

Hunt the wind? Sound good until the wind changes, then you move and the wind changes again.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  10. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it works. I did order the one pictured by the way!

11. cvbot

cvbot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Confidence in the stand is a huge part of being successful in this sport. If you have the money to spend on scent killing clothes/products, by all means buy it. As for me, I wash all of my clothes in scent killing detergent with baking soda after each hunt. It has worked for me for the past 6 years and have only been winded a handful of times when I knew the wind was against me. To each his own.

12. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    call me old school...but I don't put much merit into the mechanical scent control stuff. I do use scent killing sprays, and clothes washes....AND I PLAY THE WIND. I don't care how hard you try, or what products you use...I don't believe you will ever eliminate one hundred percent of your human and other odors....and if you are down wind...your probably going to get busted. I just do all I can, and play the wind....but don't personally buy into the other stuff. just my opinion, and if it works, great...but I am not lugging those silly big machines in the woods with me.

13. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The ONLY solution is to play the wind.

SCFox

14. ohiobowhunter77

Dislikes Received:
    yup, agreed. I think too many hunters are getting lazy and looking for the easy way out. don't get me wrong, every advantage helps...but nowadays, with all of the cameras, and other crap....nobody wants to get out in it, and scout, do legwork, and earn their deer anymore....all they wanna do is climb a tree, sit five minutes and shoot a deer....what fun, or challenge is that!!!??? seriously, I would love to see some of these 'modern' hunters try to kill a deer with a bow fifteen years ago....

15. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    "Other crap" on the market is not a substitute to scouting, leg work or any other aspect of hunting. Its just an additional edge. You may have all the gear in the world but still not be successful. Regardless of what tools you use, its still a challenge.

Dont bash dude.

16. ohiobowhunter77

Dislikes Received:
    that was bashing? seriously....change your panties. I was just saying that people expect not to have to do anything but go shoot a deer. I agree, that every advantage is good...but there is a point when all these gimmicks get ridiculous.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I contend that climbing a tree and shooting a deer in 5 minutes is much more difficult challenge than hunting for a month straight before killing one. :poke:

I love when people say "I hunt the wind, that's all I need". I always find this comical.

First, anyone with half a sense of what they're doing while deer hunting is playing the wind. It's deer hunting common sense 101. Wind is blowing from stand into area you think deer will be coming from or moving to on their way to you? Don't hunt that stand. Okay, we got it.

But when happens when you're hunting hill country where the wind is NEVER constant? Or what happens when a buck is coming in and you're undetected because you're so good at playing the way and you get a little swirl of wind that kicks back in his direction? Or what happens when a deer simply comes from a direction you don't think they're going to come from?

My point here is that "playing the wind" isn't as simple as people make it out to be. Wind direction is rarely consistent and never a guarantee. That's why I prefer to take every possible precaution I can just in case I get into one of the aforementioned situations. For me that includes scent eliminating clothing, soaps, sprays and anything else I can get my hands on that may mean the difference between success and failure. It doesn't mean that I'm not "playing the wind".

18. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    So what if people dont put in the sweat or work but still are fortunate enough to kill a deer with minimal effort? If that's what pleases them, then great! Why does it matter to you if somebody uses a trail camera to scout when they're not in the woods or a scent eliminating product? Who are you to judge?

None of the above is "an easy way out" or make the person lazy, its just an additive to be successful. I was just asking opinions as to whether ozone is effective. I've concluded that it is, so you don't need to stir things up.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  19. jpark4

jpark4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've used a gnarly O-Zone Gen on my car once. Definitely does kill smell, but if you inhale too much of that stuff it gives you a gnarly headache.

20. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get me wrong, I know there is more to it than just playing the wind. I use cover scents, store my clothes in scent proof totes, and have used scent elimination spray, any advantage that I think will work. I just don't believe that a guy needs to drop a few hundred bucks on the ozone machine and have someone tell me that that is the only way to kill deer.

SCFox