Magnus bullhead?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeffrey Jones, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have any experience with these head/neck shot broadhead? I just got a pack of 125 grain mated to the longer TX hunter Gold tips Four fletched and was wondering what I can test these things out on without breaking them? That way I know how they fly and will react to my setup. I'm shooting a Bear Legion 29.5 draw a 68.5 # smack down rest and trophy ridge 4 pin sight. any tips?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe buy turkey necks at a super market? Then some sort of backstop that won't damage the head? That's all I can suggest

3. wcm250f

wcm250f Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was looking at those heads here is what I saw of videos that worked great. Go to target or Walmart and buy a pillow case for 5$ then get like a quilt filling, any type of pillow follow, our just cut open a old pillow. Take the filling and put it in the pillow case, then hang and shoot at it. Once the pillow case rips swap out pillow cases. From the video I saw, the guy shot the pillow case ten times and out still looked good. No pass through or anything, just stop the arrow and no damage was done to the broadhead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah if it was suspended by rope it would swing and absorb the energy

5. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Magnus actually reccomends shooting at a pillow. I have also seen videos of people thawing out frozen turkey necks and shooting them like maxpetros said. If I were to try the bullheads, I think I would just suspend some of those turkey necks in front of an old pillow I have laying around.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. wcm250f

wcm250f Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well there you go, looks like the best answer. You get the idea and confidence of shooting actually at your target with a safe back stop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

7. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man I really appreciate the feed back fellas I will try the pillow trick and see what these things are all about. Thanks.

8. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Great thing about the turkey necks is it is the same target you will be shooting when it comes to hunting. And the target is the same size.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my bullheads into a the old yellow jacket targets years ago and never had an issue...

10. Marshall Law

Marshall Law Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought 6 packs the second year after they came out and tried them with 3 other guys that I was filming with that year. We did everything that we were asked to do by the good folks at Magnus and had poor results as compared to the gobbler guillotine. The magnus heads broke on two birds and were heck to tune... even out of a long bow.

We gave up after the third loss where (for the third time) a turkey was hit properly in the neck and the blade simply sheered away. Finished out the year with the guillotines with no issues. I have kicked myself for a long time over trying these heads because I am pretty sure if the turkeys we hit with them didnt die, they sure didnt survive well :(

Maybe they are better made now-a-days?.