Controversial Topic?????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tacklebox, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So we all know debates on broad heads are, it got me thinking...... What about bow grips? I've been shooting bows for the last several years with little to no grip, bare risor basically. Bought a Mathews last week and at first really figured I was gonna hate the grip but after shooting it for a few days now I'm lovin it. Feels weird to even hold my other set up now. So...... Opinions???

2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think you'll get much controversy on this. Bottom line, any grip that places YOUR hand in a consistent and repeatable position is what you're aiming for. I can't shoot a Mathews grip to save my life, never have. I prefer a thin throat, side plate only grip (off the back of the riser). But many can and do shoot wider grips very well. Whatever works best for you is the best grip.

3. Travis R Marine

Travis R Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with muzzyman88. All bows are different and all shooters are different. Everybodys gotta find their comfort zone and whats most accurate for them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me and grips it's a simple equation less equals-more accuracy The smaller and slimmer a grip the better I can shoot for the most part...that said I don't feel it's the most comfortable. For comfort I would much rather have a full solid grip preferably wood so it fairly warm.....but I tried that years ago and I can't stack arrows at longer distance like I can with a nothing too it grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Grips are an issue for me and I think a focus grip would be better but not sure it would be comfortable enough so I just try to use less of my palm touching the grip. Works most of the time:)

6. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally love the feel of my Z7 grip. No matter what everyone gets accustomed to any type of grip and it feels weird once you switch.

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is too touchy of a subject.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

8. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am planning on switching to a focus grip this season as I look for a slimmer grip.

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah tough call, I've got a z7x and put together decent groups at 30 yards and love the comfort of the wooden grip on a cold day. However, I feel like I used to group my PSE bowmadness (very thin grip) better. This has my mind wandering on whether or not to swap out wood for the focus grip?

With trail cams, stands, ladders, and monster raxx to purchase it all depends on if the wife will allow it haha

10. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The last 4 Mathews I had I thought I liked the wood grip on it... Always seemed that the narrow grips of other bows were just that, too narrow. Chipped a piece out of the grip on my z7x somehow so I put the Focus grip on it and lets just say I'll never keep the wood grip on my Mathews again. It is much more comfortable to me with the Focus on it I love it.

11. Skyman

Skyman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like my big switchback grip. I pulled back one of the new chills with a focus grip on it and it felt really wierd but im still looking forward to trying out the focus or something similar this season.

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL....

13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot an MR7 and the one thing I never really liked about the bow was the grip. I didn't think it effected my shooting, just that it was kind of uncomfortable. Then I was in pro shop up near our hunting camp during bear season and I held one of the new monster chills. The focus grip feel was like night and day. Then I saw they had the focus grips on sale for half off, so I picked one up. Put it on my bow, which turned out to be pretty easy, and it was like shooting a whole different bow. It was much more comfortable and felt like a more natural hand position. Tightened up my groups too. If you have a Mathews and don't like the stock grip, it's definitely worth trying one out.

14. WMI BOWHUNTER

WMI BOWHUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i started on a mathews ultra light bow....so I have always liked the big grips, then i went to a darton...loved that grip as well. Always shot them well. Now that i've been shooting bear for awhile i really like the thinner throat grip. I like both! It might be odd but give me either or...& I will be ok.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Grab bow, shoot bow well, kill animal....

16. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can shoot either pretty well but, prefer a shoot off the riser type grip. I shoot those much more consistently.

17. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: