Public Park Shooting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KaKluth, Jan 22, 2013.

1. KaKluth

KaKluth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am quite new to bow hunting, just recently purchased a Vector 32, so actually quite new to archery as well. I am curious about shooting my bow in public parks.. Particularly, Wisconsin. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

I would rather practice shooting and technique without paying every time I want to go..

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot in the dark here, but im guessing a big no since you are shooting a sharp projectile at high speeds around kids.

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^I'm gonna guess the same. I wouldn't think they would allow you to shoot ur bow in a public park. That could bring about way to many bad situations for the town or city. I would think there is way to much liability involved for the town to allow that in a public park.

4. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I'd say go for it. I shoot in town right off the main drag with my buddy all the time and cops just smile and wave. You'd think if they were concerned about safety they'd say something. Try it but just make sure your target is backed by a thick wooded area or a huge open area with no one in it.

5. Whitetail_Guy

Whitetail_Guy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    you may have an archery park in waukesha. We have a county park in ozaukee and washington county that is an archery range. yeah otherwise i dont think it would be a good idea to shoot in a park. whats a couple bucks compared to maybe killing someone? i just looked one up here is one- MINOOKA PARK 1927 E. Sunset Drive with and archery range, also there is one is muskego. just google waukesha county archery parks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't just go shooting man! Ask someone and I don't mean your neighbor. Ask a law enforcement officer at minimum! Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law bo. Not saying it is illegal but, if it is and you get caught doing it, could be a pretty serious offense. I know around here there are some towns and provinces that have made the penalty for shooting archery equipment in the city limits as stiff a penalty as firing a firearm in the city limits.

7. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brother
    In my day you not only could but they had shooting ranges set up with targets for you to use for free. We would just bring a paper plate and shot away? Now with the nanny state I am afraid you will have to join a bow hunting club or get a block target and practice in the back yard if you neighbors will let you!
    Pastor Scotty

8. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In New York, we cannot shoot within 500' of an occupied structure. Thats alot of space to need.

9. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man I am so lucky to live on a 80 acrea farm. Plus most of my buddys have farms to :)

10. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I going to guess no in a public park. I shoot in an abandoned grocery store parking lot. Technically its illegal but I have had several cops come talk to me and most of them are more curious than anything else. But I also have a 20' high embankment to use as a backstop so that helps.

One thing I did when I lived in my other place was just drive to the nearest field figure out who owned it, told them my apartment situation and they would usually let me shoot. Did get told no the first time I asked but the next guy was cool about it.

11. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say shoot in your backyard, or a friends yard. Since you are just starting out, even shooting 10 yards will do you a lot of good. I would also work on building your muscles. Pull your bow back and hold it, and also just practice continues pulling it back, letting it off, and pull again. pull the string slowly, both ways. The muscles you need to shoot well, you just dont use in regular life. The stronger you get, the better you will shoot.

12. KaKluth

KaKluth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Yup, Minooka Park has an archery range. Pretty dope. Havent had the opportunity to go yet but hopefully in the spring. Thanks for the insight fellas.

13. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No you can't shoot in a public park. Still discharging a weapon. Depending on the local law, like where I live, can't even shoot a pellet/bb gun. Definitely check with your local ordinances, you don't want your new bow taken away. Different if your hunting on public land, parks are a different animal.

14. Shockwave

Shockwave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to live near Kletch Park in Glendale, Wi, and there also was a free archery range there. There is another one near me that a buddy of mine shoots at. I'm not sure of the name yet but I'll be shooting there come spring. I'd guess that as long as the park already has a range, you're good. You just cant pull into the park, toss out a block target somewhere and fire away.

15. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live on 100 acres but in nj you are allowed to use the ranges at the local fish and wildlife dept. once you get your hunting license. And it's totally free

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There was a guy around the block from me, that use to hang his stand in the tree in front of his house. This tree was on the street side of the sidewalk and he would shot over the sidewalk in to the church parking lot. I don't think the police let this go on very long.

sent from my electronic carrier pigeon

17. KaKluth

KaKluth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would assume the same. Kinda nice not having to pay lol.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  18. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i live on a 160 acre farm out in the country so i dont have this problem but it made me think of a show i saw where 2 guys were shooting down there halway in there trailer beacause they couldnt shoot there bows outside because of trailer park rules lol they ended up putting a hole in the door and covered it with a picture out of a hunting mag so his gf wouldnt notice haha

19. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully you find a better option that a public park... Pretty much any place would be safer. Hope you find a decent spot to fling some arrows!

20. Yooper

Yooper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guilty of shooting in the house when the kids aren't home. I can eek out 19 yards from one end of the upstairs to the other. When my 6 year old asked why there was a target under his bed i told him to never mind. No holes in the house yet...knock on wood.

When I was a kid our trailer park evidently allowed shooting bow because I had a neighbor who used to do it all the time.