Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sticknstringarchery is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had a WB or something that completely held the arrow, I would. I have a NAP Apache. Not happenin captain!
    TEAM KILL!!!!!!

Walk-On Archery National Pro Staff Coordinator

Hunting Rig:
    2014 Ben Pearson Stealth 2
    Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit
    Viper V1000XL 5 pin sight
    Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
    Rage Chisel Tip 2 Blade

Afflicted is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No but my arrows are quick to get to.
    Kilboars Hunt Club of S. Fla
    Mathews Monster MR7 & Chill'R
    HHA 1-5/8 Site
    Whisker biscuit
    Scott Sabertooth NCS Release

Christine is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can barely walk through some of the places I hunt with an arrow in quiver, much less with one knocked.

Add to that, my climber is on my back and I'm just a klutz in general.... I don't bother. (and still-hunting is forbidden where I hunt)

www.bowfishingassociation.com

www.b4k.org - Benefit4kids
    www.proishunting.com - Real hunting apparel for women

lemmyseethepics is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider46 View Post
    I'll rephrase.

Here's what I'm thinking on this topic (which is walking in/out of the woods). If you're just walking and come upon a deer, there's a good chance that the deer is going to hear/see/smell you coming. I'm talking just walking to or from your spot - not sneaking, not still hunting. Now this deer either hears something or sees movement and is on high alert or ready to bolt. Shooting at that animal is not ethical, not to mention you'd probably get busted on the draw so there's no point in having an arrow nocked.

By this logic; calling, wheezing, rattling and such are all unethical. After all, bucks responding to these calls would be coming in on high alert and based on your "thinking" we would be unethical to take this shot.

So my question for you is, do you use calls rattles and scent attractants??

Slider46 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmyseethepics View Post
    By this logic; calling, wheezing, rattling and such are all unethical. After all, bucks responding to these calls would be coming in on high alert and based on your "thinking" we would be unethical to take this shot.

So my question for you is, do you use calls rattles and scent attractants??
    Yes I do use calls, rattles & scents.

There is quite a difference between the way an animal acts and responds when it has been alerted to an unknown sound or scent (caused by a person walking in/out - which is what the topic of this thread is) as opposed to when it has been called in or lured in with deer calls/sounds or deer scents.

If this "logic" I "used" were correct, deer wouldn't respond like they do to deer calling and rattling. Bucks wouldn't come running in ready to fight when they hear a snort-wheeze. Does wouldn't come running to a fawn bleat. Bucks wouldn't follow a doe scent drag as if they were being reeled in.

I don't know about your hunting experiences but when I call in a deer or lure in a deer with scent, they're not on "high alert and ready to bolt". They're curious and/or want to see the deer that made the sound.

Moral of the story, yes I use calls, etc. Deer that respond to calls and lures are not on high alert. No, I will not take an unethical shot on a deer that is on high alert because I got busted in stand, walking, b/c of wind, etc.
    Last edited by Slider46; 12-06-2012 at 10:15 AM.

sycamoretwitch is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    So now walking around your property with an arrow knocked is being viewed as unethical because the animal has a hightened sense of awareness. Who knew?!?!

Siman/OH is offline Senior Member Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its still dark on my way in/out...

So yes

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

2009, 2010 and 2013 G2G Attendee!

L.I. BOW is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your walking out and happen to come across a deer that has no clue you are there you will have time to knock an arrow and shoot. If you think the only way you would have a shot is if the arrow was knocked that's giving yourself a very small window. That's obviously a opportunity that requires a fast draw and fast shot. More times than not the shot will be rushed and the deer will be moving. If that was not the case than you would have plenty time to knock an arrow and get a shot at a relaxed deer. I enjoy shooting deer from a tree. I get a thrill out of watching them and waiting for the perfect shot. I have taken 2 deer while walking out and to be honest IMO it's just not the same. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right but very rarely will I knock an arrow while walking.
    Last edited by L.I. BOW; 12-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.

SouthDakotaHunter is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never do, but for me it's more of a safety issue... My feeling is that I've slipped on a muddy/greasy/icey spot, or walked into some-type of tripping hazard way more frequently than I've actually stumbled across a deer that I want to shoot on my way to\from the stand... Just seems like an unnecessary risk to me but I don't have a problem with someone if that's what they want to do...
    __________________________________________________ __________________

200 Point club member

KyleLewis is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotahunter View Post
    So, it is a big pain in the *** to walk with an arrow knocked. I agree. My stands are looong walks, which makes it even worse. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. A few weeks ago, I was walking in and came upon 2 does that bounded out in front of me, and stopped just long enough that I could have shot if I had an arrow knocked.

In this case, it didn't matter. The rut activity was Hot, and I wasn't hunting for does that day. I like to leave the does alone until late season.

Anyway, ... Is it worth HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of uncomfortable walks in and out over years of hunting for that once in a lifetime opportunity that may never come.??

What do you do?

Thanks
    With a bow the most walking I do is before or after shooting hours. If I am walking in or out during shooting hours I nock an arrow. Could be the difference between getting a shot or not.
    Mathews Z7xTREME
    Trophy Ridge Whisker Bisquit
    TruGlow Apex Inferno 3 pin sight
    Tru-fire release
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's
    Thunderheads
    Summit Viper SS

"What you bring into the woods is important but what you drag out says more."

Rick James is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, 99.9% of the time now when I'm walking in I have a stand in my back and shooting isn't possible anyhow.
    ~Matt

Don't Poke the Bear is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously I'm not knocked in early morning before the sun comes up, or when its late afternoon when the sun goes down. But when I make my way back to my car later that morning, I always do a spot and stalk, and i'm always knocked. I havent connected on one yet, but I had three close encounters this season while one my way back to the car. I'm always knocked on my way to my stand in the afternoon too. I have a feeling that one of these days I'll drop one when I'm out of my stand. I damn near shot a buck this season while zipping my fly after taking a leak, only to find out he was 20 yards away, I never knew he was there until I reached for my gun (this was during rifle season). I didn't expect to see a deer anywhere near my designated piss tree

BULLRUSH52 is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gutone4me View Post
    NO never and NO
    Great question! and even better answer... I understand you are talking Longbow,However,I use an Xbow now due to injury.
    Rule #1 of Xbow hunting is Never walk with a loaded Xbow.
    We all spook a deer,more often then we like,But the probability of injuring yourself is way higher than whacking a deer hopping outta the brush.
    We were all taught as very young hunter's "don't walk with an open knife"..just because of the chance something may happen.
    I wish you health and great hunting,So please, Don't worry about that "Spooky" deer...
    better yet, start practicing throwing your Bowie knife at it, like in the movies..(jus playn).
    good luck.

Junior is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...Bullrush I might try that bowie knife thing...I actually have won a hawk and knife throwing contest in the past!!

During shooting hours, I have an arrow nocked, but I take my time getting to my stand and have an easy travel route. I also have a bow holster that attaches right to my safety harness or belt.

I try to sneak in, but where sneaking is not possible because of leaves or whatever, I try to sound as "deer-like" as possible. Sounds funny I know, but what I mean is instead of walking normally and rolling my feet, I take shorter steps so I can step flat footed. That way all the sound of the leaves crunching is not prolonged by the foot step starting at the heel and continuing to crunch all the way to the toe. I also stop often and look around. I have listened to alot of deer walking in the woods, so I try to mimick what I hear. My strategy has worked pretty good for me thus far so I intend to keep this up no matter how goofy it sounds!

kimberglock is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sleep with an arrow nocked. Hell I got one nocked right now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123