Hunter in Distress!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KyleLewis, Nov 24, 2012.

1. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like I've mentioned before I've been able to put in a ridiculous amount of days in the woods this season. Saw tons of deer and shot at & missed 3(2 bucks 1 doe). That right there sickens me to think I could have been tagged out in MASS! Before the rut!! Moving on, today was the last day of bow season. I got up and out this morning expecting a typical deerless morning sit. Well around 8am a really nice 8 or 10 pt buck comes in. He's moving really quick and I drew my bow as he went behind a pine sapling. As I drew my release railed my can call and I was thankful he couldn't here it. He just kept trekking until he hit my scent wicks. Now up to this point the wind was whipping! I couldn't even rattle or call because it was too windy. The tree I climbed was swaying all over the place! I wondered if the scent lures where even effective. Anyways he hits the scent wick (tinks #69) and pauses slightly quartering away. I put the pin right on him and fire. I hear CRACK!!!! He does a mule kick and takes off. I see my arrow hanging out the other side of him by the fletching and a big red hole where the arrow hit him. As he's running about 5 yards the arrow drops out and he's gone. Finally Redemption!!! So I get cocky and say "Lets go for a double baby! Woo hoo!" I knock another arrow and sit down. Made some txts and reassured people that I can actually shoot my bow without missing. After an hour and a half I felt like a kid on christmas morning! I wanted to see what santa got me! So I make my way down and return to my truck to unload my climber and just bring what I need to track and gut in my pack. I called a buddy to come give me a hand and we both made it back to the scene about 2 hours after the shot. I assumed he was piled up 30 yards or so because I didn't hear him run to far. In retrospect that must have been because of the winds. So we get there and start tracking. There is NO blood. We walk a good 40 yards or more and finally found some. Very sparse. We keep going finding light drops of bright red blood. Then we'd find decent puddles of about 1/2 a cup of blood. We found 2 or 3 of those. We kept going and at about 400 yards away if not more we find a nice big puddle about 1 cup of blood and then the trail went dry! We spent hours and hours circling this puddle trying to find some new blood. We tracked from about 10 to 4:30. No breaks just straight out searching. Todays been full of highs and lows. My buddy wanted to do a night sit so he took off around 3. I was so disgusted I couldn't even think to sit while this deer is laying dead somewhere. So at this point I am determined to go back there tomorrow. Me and my wife will be searching like crazy. I know that the shot was good. If anything I think it hit the shoulder on the back side but even then I should have atleast gotten one lung. Is it possible for a deer to survive an arrow being blasted through them? If not then I will continue to search until I find this thing. This is my second deer ever and it is beaut! I'd hate to have killed a deer that's responsible for all this sign myself and all the other hunters have seen and not even recover it! Prayers would be appreciated.

2. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sux Kyle sounds like he should be dead keep searching bud!!!!

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you got only a single lung then you need some luck buddy..they can go a long long way on one lung. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure hope u find him tomorrow. Best of luck to ya bro.

5. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Friend single lunged on two weeks ago. We tracked 3 hrs later because we thought the hit was better than it was. We came up behind him in the dark long after running out of blood. My friend saw him up and walking off. Two days later he was out, blowing bloody bubbles from his nose, chasing does. As of middle of this past week, he was still chasing does. I dunno how long that lung will take him. Next weekend I'm gonna go see if I can shoot him. End his sufferong before he dies and no one finds him.

6. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should have some nice cold temps to let him sit over night. Just make sure the yotes dont get to him before you do (I had that happen to me this year, it was awful). From your description, he sounds like he's a dead deer. Maybe you bumped him on your way out of the woods or when you started tracking him. As soon as he feels the need to lay down and relax, he'll fall asleep and never wake up. You'll find him

7. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Craziness! Go get em!

8. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck finding your deer Kyle. Hope you get to close the deal.

9. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from day 2 of tracking. We were able to add another painstaking 200 yards to the blood trail. It was soo sparse with only one decent puddle. After we all searched our butts off we then went to some known bedding areas, nothing there. I just got home a was looking at deer shot placement and I can clearly see what happened. My arrow entered behind his shoulder back about 3 or 4 inches and the shot was low. I thought I had made a text book perfect shot but I missed lungs, liver and the heart. The arrow passed down through the other side and struck his other leg or shoulder. I think if it hit his other shoulder I would have hit a lung. A vet hunter told me there is no way I hit a lung, judging by blood consistancy and amount. So I am assuming it came out lower and hit his leg. Tough break for me as this is the biggest deer I've ever shot. My wife, 2 friends and I put in about 15 hours of tracking each on this deer. My wife did less she wasnt there yesterday. So thats alot of man hours spent tracking and I can honestly say with a clear conscience that I did all I could. With blood that sparse and almost a mile covered I think he survived.

10. nagyiii

nagyiii Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    single lunged a buck last season, gave him 3hrs before we started tracking him. 500yds into it, we kicked him up, which was now about 5hrs later. after he ran another 300 yds, he laid down again, where we were fortunate enough to sneak up on him and get a 2nd arrow in him to end it for good. I hope you're able to recover him.

11. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Went out today and did a morning sit, on my way out I came across a shoulder blade that'd been mostly stripped by coyotes. Meat still on it. Walked around looking for the carcass didn't find it. I'll check again tomorrow.

12. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tough break Kyle

13. colton96

colton96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man that sucks! Hope you find him man!

14. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Went out today and I found him! He sat out for 3 nights. Absolutely no meat left on him. In fact it was just his head, backbone and 1 rear leg. Everything else was gone. I'll be taking pics with me and the skull tonight when my wife gets home. I have pics of how I found him too. I'll upload those soon. He was a smallish 6 pt. Still my personal best though. lol 2nd year bowhunting 2nd buck. Hopefully I'll be able to get some meat this year!!

15. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good work! Way to stay at it! How far was he?

16. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Over 800 yards!

17. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    104.jpg 102.jpg 092.jpg 097.jpg 106.jpg This is what I found.