Need help with arrows!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HuntingNONstop, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HuntingNONstop

HuntingNONstop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to bowhunting.com so dont get mad if I'm posting in the wrong area. But i just had a question for you guys... I'm shooting a Diamond Razor Edge at 45 lb DW and i only use a 24" arrow. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good arrow for me to use to hunt. I want it to be a good high quality arrow that is less than or around $100 for 12 of them. Also if any of you have tips or things to say about turkey hunting that i should keep in mind because I'm going to start turkey hunting. Tell me what a good call is and a good decoy setup. Thanks so much, you don't know how much this helps!

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First off, welcome. Based on your draw weight and arrow length I would suggest getting a heavier .500 spine arrow and beefing up the front of your arrows with some heavier fixed blade broadheads, say in the range of 150-200 grains.

3. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest the carbon express line. Buy the best set you can afford and. I prefer custom made arrows, but you can save some money at a big box store where they will cut pre-fletched shafts for you. If you plan to hunt turkey, consider a light arrow and head combo. Gander Mountain seems to have the best deals on CX arrows.

For big game consider the heavier set up mentioned

4. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thank you! The CX Mutiny looks pretty nice at Gander Mountain and for about a good price. What size would i get? Sorry arrows have always confused me. Would I get 150, 250, or 350. And have you had any experience with the CX Mutiny? Thanks again.

5. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
    Check with the staff at Gander or use the CX web site. You will need either the 150s or 250s. The 350s will be stiff and not properly flex and store energy in flight.

6. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
    No experience with the mutiny...perhaps it is an entry level product?

7. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thank you! Anyone else?

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like Easton Arrows, made in the USA and a quality product.

9. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    Ok what arrows exactly from Easton would you suggest? Easton Carbon excell are at a good price I just don't know the quality of it, and what size to use, 340 or 400. It's hard to find an arrow since I'm at such a low DW and short DL. Is there a specific Easton arrow that you recomend because I don't know much about arrows

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently shooting Bloodlines, they were about $100/dz. Before this I was shooting Carbon Raiders I bought at D i c k 's Sporting Goods for $30/per 6 and they shot great too.

I think you would be needing 400 (maybe a 480 if you could find them) and probably a heavy broadhead to lighten the spine some at your length. Lighter head will stiffen the spine, heavier head will help weaken it.

11. Bogenjäger

Bogenjäger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I actually tried Bass Pro's Blackout X1 Pro. They're made by GoldTip and are basically GT ProHunters but cost a little less...~$60/half dz. I was using Easton Flatlines and Bloodlines but I get much better accuracy out of these. So GT ProHunter in correct spine or the one's made for Bass Pro.

Sent from my iPhone

12. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    ok thank you those look really nice, one of my friends use them too. But would they be ok for such a small draw length and draw weight? that's the only thing I'm confused about and don't know about. and would i use 340 or 400

13. Bogenjäger

Bogenjäger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You probably need 500 spine which is 3555 for Gold Tip Pro Hunter (Bass Pro doesn't offer that spine) or for Easton you could go between 500 or 600 spine. 340 and 400 are way too stiff for a short draw length and light draw weight.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/uploads/files/51_hunt-sel-chart.pdf

http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=chart

14. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    Ok wow that helps a ton! Thanks soo much!! I'm liking the Gold Tip XT Hunter at 3555 which should suit my bow well. Thanks for your help. Do you or anybody have any experience with the Gold Tip XT Hunter? I think they look real nice and I've heard good reviews on them. What do you guys think?

15. Bogenjäger

Bogenjäger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First arrows I ever used on my first bow and no complaints. I just like the straightness of the pro hunter b/c I seem to get better consistency/accuracy out of my Rage 2-blade but my draw length and draw weight are a bit higher so what works for me might not be what your bow likes best. I've tried xt and pro from goldtip and bloodlines and flatlines from easton. All of them are good in my opinion.

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GoldTips are great arrows also, I think you will be happy with them for sure. I use them a lot as well. I have some 3555 Traditionals (faux wood grain) I use with my traditional gear.

17. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd just get some Beman ICS Hunters. They've been making Carbon arrows longer than anyone. As far as turkey calls and decoys there is nothing to it. They come in to any decoy really and a $20 Primos box call is loud and works great. If you plan on hunting in the rain you'll need a mouth call or a slate call made to be used in rain. Usually they are made of clear plastic. I forget what they're called.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  18. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The first arrows I ever used were the cheapest ones Cabela's makes in a 4 inch vain. I killed two deer with them and was competitive in archery 3D shoots as well. I would highly recommend them, I think Black Friday you can get like a half-dozen for $25. Saving some cash here will allow you to spend a little more in other areas, like sight, rest and a stabilizer.

I dont know how old you are, but I assume you are in your teens? If that is the case then you will probably outgrow this setup pretty quick, so I wouldnt be breaking the bank to get everything right.

19. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never had any issues shooting the gold tip xt's, I've been shooting them for several years now and back in 2010 I won the BH.com shoot with them.

20. HuntingNONstop

Dislikes Received:
    To: KyleLewis
    Ok thanks for the info on Turkey stuff, and as far as the Beman ICS Hunter, I love them! I used to use the juniors but their max is 40 and I'm at 45. And the Beman ICS Hunter you were talking about, doesn't really come in my size since again I'm at such a low DW and DL.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012