Lone Wolf climber users, I have a question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Oct 26, 2012.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So, as some know, I switched back to a LW Sit and Climb this year, purchasing the wide version. Overall, I love the stand and its been working very well for me. The added width to the top frame is a welcome addition and it still maintains that ultra pack-ability I want.

However, one issue I've been having, and this is something I had with the other stand as well, is that the platform is not stable at height. The scenario is like this. Set pre angle at base and start climbing. At 18-20ft, I set the height of the seat section and then cinch down the stablizer straps while still standing. I'll turn around and sit and give the straps one quick snug again. At this point, the platform is level and the seat is locked down tight on the tree. The top section will not budge. Good to go.

This is whats bothering me however. If I stand up and say shift around on the platform a little as if I were moving into position to take a shot for example, if I put my weight on one foot and it happens to be on the far side of the platform, the other side of the platform will "flip up" or shift. Literally, if you stood with your back against the tree and place your feet on each side of the platform, you can make the platform rock side to side by simply putting more of your weight on one foot or the other.

The trees I mostly climb are around 15" at height and are either red or white oak, with the occasional pine thrown in. It will do this on about every tree. It doesn't rock much, but it does and it definitely gets your attention.

What in the world could I be doing wrong? Is this something I just need to live with? Not bashing the stand, I'll be using it for a long time, but would really like to understand or figure out what I could be doing incorrectly.

2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same issue with my hand climber, once I get up to height I can adjust the seat portion but the base is not tight to the tree anymore because the strap is set for the thicker portion of the tree as I climbed up. I just use a short rope attached to the base and straddle the seat, pull the base up and adjust the cable then stick my feet back in it and get it snug to the tree. One of the reasons I just bought an Assault II and sticks......easier!

3. L.I. BOW

L.I. BOW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my hand climber now. Just did what you said and shifted my weight from foot to foot. I'm solid to the tree. I'm in a pine and the teeth of the platform bite in good. Give LW a call they might have a remedy. It sounds tome like your stabilizer straps are too tight. When you get to height stand on the platform and tighten the straps. I usually kinda shift my weight around at that point to get a good bite. On denser trees when you sit down and tighten those straps you might be slightly lifting the platform. If that's the case that's why your getting that wobble. Once that platform bites in tighten down the straps and then don't retighten when you sit. It's worth a try.

On another note I read your post the other day. At least you didn't wound him. Could have been alot worse. Who knows maybe it happened for a reason. I passed a spike at 7:30 other than that it's quiet and warm. Sux. Let us know if you figure it out.

4. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use climbers a lot (summit open shot and Viper) and I always set my bottom stand to what it would be at the height i will climb. when I start climbing the stand is at a 30-45 degree angle and as I go up it levels out. Once I get to the height I want. I take my feet out of the stirrups and put all of my weight by the end of the stand and really get the teeth to bite. and never have a problem with rocking. I know it is not the same stand but hope this insight helps.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I question if you have the platform perfectly level? If I have the traction belt on mine set a bit too short so that the front of the platform (away from tree) is pitched up a little bit.....then it will do this occasionally. If I readjust the traction belt so it's perfectly level then I can't really get it to do this even if I try....

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't have their climber but its one reason I really like ratchet straps rather the tension straps. Tension straps never seems to allow you can pull or push those straps really tight by hand, where as a ratchet strap you can really lock the stand into the tree and its not moving. Now if they could just make them quieter.

What about sharpening the teeth of the platform with a grinder so it digs into the tree more?

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I truly only feel 100% safe when I am stepping on the front half of my LW climber for that very reason....

8. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your bottom platform is unlevel to me. Especially if stepping on the sides causes it to turn rather than grab. Whats the diameter of the tree?

9. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    OK, well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seen this. I talked to LW about this back when I had the first climber from them. I personally think it has more to do with not enough teeth contacting the tree. If you're on smaller trees, it usually doesn't do this. Once you get on good sized oaks, for example, it will.

However, I think the stabilizer straps being too tight might be something to think about. I'll experiment with that tomorrow. Preacher Tony, you're right; if you stand on the front half, it creates quite a bit more leverage and prevents this from happening.

I guess I'm used to the bite the Summits get on a tree.

10. Gslinger

Gslinger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Save yourself, get a Leverage speed ladder stand: LW Need to think harder into their engineering, especially when lives are at stake.

11. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Do you work for the people who make leverage speed ladder? You just joined and all of your posts have been about the leverage speed ladder and bashing lone wolf.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine has never done this in 6 years. How do you have the stabilizer straps oriented? If they are too far forward I could see them causing an issue.

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why are you posting a ladder stand in a thread that is about a climber???

That stand is loud, needs 2 people to put up and is NOT mobile....troll?

14. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. This guy is absolutely a troll digging up a 3 year old post!

Coop,

Mine are oriented exactly where LW tells you to place them, in the back half of the platform. In any event, over the last couple of years, I learned the little nuances to this stand and love it. I believe LW should make a bit of a tweak to the teeth section of the platform to better accommodate larger trees. Not that I climb anything overly big, but it just seems that teeth section is better suited for smaller trees.

15. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had some of those issues but I'm typically hunting near a wetland where the bottom of the trunk is much wider than the top. I solve it in one of two ways:

1. I'll use one screw in step to start the base a little higher up, it usually evens out at the top then.
    2. The second way is riskier but I have my harness and lanyard attached. I stop half way, lower the seat close to the base, tighten the straps between the seat and the base, reach down and unlatch the tension cable on one side and tighten it up some.

What I have noticed with the wide sit and climb is that it requires a larger tree diameter than the hand climber to be secure at top.

16. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:

My top never moved once on me. It was the platform that would rock side to side occasionally and scare the piss out of me. I eventually figured out that the platforms on these things are sensitive to where and how they hit the tree sometimes. Especially once its cold enough that the trees are rock hard.

17. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still don't get how you guys were having problems with these? I've had mine since I think 2008 and have over 100 sits in it, never had a problem? I've been in trees where I needed the longer traction belts, and some skinny as a fence post, never had a problem. I think the trick is making sure the platform is level once at full height.

Only problem I've had with mine is there are no straight trees in the midwest and since I left NY I don't get to use it anymore!

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Muzz.....you are a perfect example of an unbiased customer....your comments are on the money....always...I completely respect and believe what you post

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, my issues were with smoother trees and also when it was below freezing.

You may be right with the angle....one of my complaints is the angle from belt to platform...way to narrow, IMO....and the teeth don't bite in like I think they should....not to mention the seat...

20. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never had a problem with the base going side-to-side like Muzzyman, only evening out at the top.