Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rutin is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    When sitting all day I never move, reguardless of movement. I stay put for the entire day, it could happen at any moment. If I think im not in the right spot then I move the next day. Once im commited to an all day sit, I truely sit all day. Alot of the time is sucks but ive also seen great deer around 12-1 alot of the time i stay patient.

Monster Raxx Prostaff
    Covert Prostaff

GregH is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually don't have the patience for all day hunts. However, this year I'm going to try a few.
    Quote from another forum:

"You might be a redneck when you let your 14 year old daughter smoke at the dinner table in front of her kids."

selfbros is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cablebob View Post
    can I get down, walk 20 yards away and run back? will he show up then?
    Yes! A matter of fact if you leave your bow in the tree and get down he'll be waiting for you broadside. True story!
    I don't alway pee in bottles, but when I do I prefer Dos Eques.

-The most interesting hunter in the world-

Shane The Pain
    Team 29

"I'm just telling it like it is. I put my pants on just like everyone else -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records and not excuses."

Treehopper is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I am confident in the stand I wont move unless the wind shifts. If the wind shifts and is not favorable I bail right away.

ruck139 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    During the pre, and post rut, I usually try to set up on a bottleneck area, preferably between a few bedding areas. During the rut I set up right IN a large, thick bedding area, so when the bucks are locked down with does I am right where the are hiding. Once set up, I don't move for any reason short of a lightning storm. You're better off holding tight and waiting it out. I have sat from daybreak seeing nothing and then all of a sudden at 2pm all heck breaks loose.
    A comfortable stand in a tree with cover is a must. Even the best of us are going to fidget when sitting all day, and cover will help hide your movements. A thermos filled with a hot drink is a must too!

muzzyman88 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the area is a proven producer, I will not move. I think sometimes we second guess too much, or watch too many of the "pros" on TV moving around all the time. If I'm confident in a stand, have killed there before during that time period, I will be very hesitant to move. Whether thats right or wrong is up for debate.

Its all about location.
    Bowtech Archery
    Spot Hogg Archery
    Vaportrail Archery
    Lone Wolf Treestands
    Badlands Packs
    Slick Trick Broadheads
    Sitka Gear

Parker70 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stay put. I take a book, some apples, trail mix, water, and a thermos of coffee. I don’t think the deer mind the smell of coffee at all. If it’s chilly out a cap full of coffee warms me up and I can sit longer.

Schultzy is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    knowing its the rut only makes it that much easier
    Couldn't agree more!! Be careful though If you decide to move. That time between 10:00 and 2ish usually has bucks on their feet moving. I've had allot of sightings In that time. If the wind Is bad, then the wind Is bad. Gotta move then.

Good luck If you decide to try an all dayer.

BH Bowhunter is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I move after a few hours if I don't see a thing. I have several great locations and you never know if another hunter came by the day before and pushed the does out for a couple days. But when I am seeing deer I sit all day. A thick comfy cushion makes all the difference!

Afflicted is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you guys are tough. I feel like such a p#$$y now I get in an hour before sunrise and it's all I can do to sit past 9am. LOL

If I'm not seeing anything, I start thinking about work I can get to on the property or at home or I want to walk around and check cameras or something. Serious adult A.D.D.
    We don't have a lot of deer and the one's we do we haven't really got them pattered so I feel like it's a crap shoot.

Going out next weekend solo and trying to figure out what I'm doing and where? The zone near me is out of season for deer for a few weeks and the other property is 4+ hours away and not really producing either so I'm leaning toward a hog hunt near home but they don't come out to much during the day and their filling up on acorns so their not coming to the feeders. You see, this is the stuff I think about. LOL

You guy make me want to be a better hunter
    Kilboars Hunt Club of S. Fla
    Mathews Monster MR7 & Chill'R
    HHA 1-5/8 Site
    Whisker biscuit
    Scott Sabertooth NCS Release

Vendetta is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've only successfully sat all day a few times, like afflicted I get distracted, or my butt/back says it's time to go. Granted, I don't have a feeling that I'll be seeing a 150" deer, so that could have something to do with it too.
    PSE Vendetta XS 60lb
    Easton Axis N-Fused
    Slick Trick 100g Standard

Afflicted is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I've only successfully sat all day a few times, like afflicted I get distracted, or my butt/back says it's time to go. Granted, I don't have a feeling that I'll be seeing a 150" deer, so that could have something to do with it too.
    I even have a nice comfy 16' ladder stand with back and arm rest and I still start fidgeting after a couple of hours.

Honesty I start feeling guilty just sittting there doing nothing if nothing's moving
    Kilboars Hunt Club of S. Fla
    Mathews Monster MR7 & Chill'R
    HHA 1-5/8 Site
    Whisker biscuit
    Scott Sabertooth NCS Release

virginiashadow is offline Senior Member Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Confidence is the number 1 equalizer that will make me stay put. If I know I am close to the does and the wind is right I am staying put all day 20 feet high in a tree. If the wind changes or I see or hear consistent deer movement somewhere else I will move around 12pm-1pm.

A couple of years ago I sat all morning during the primetime of the rut and did not see a thing. I was exhausted but quickly moved to another spot about 5 miles away. Killed a buck right before sundown. I knew that buck was in the area because I had seen him a month earlier and I knew does bedded close. Having multiple doe bedding areas up your sleeve is golden during the rut. Relying on only one can lead to days without possibly seeing anything.
    Team ​Kill!

A wise man once told me to roll around a stinky Ohio farm for a day to smell like farm animals, so as to get closer to deer.

Drunk half brained Ohio guy>Socrates

NY Bowhunter is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Discuss what makes you move and what makes you stay put.
    Stay put knowing why I chose to be where I am.

muzzyman88 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that where people get in trouble with all day sits in in stand location. Sitting on a travel route from beds to food IMO, isn't the best all day rut stand. You're seriously limiting the times in which you're likely going to see deer. Finding a couple of bedding areas and hunting trails between them is best in my opinion. Like stated earlier, bucks will be on their feet, especially in the middle of the day, going from one doe bedding area to another, looking for receptive does. The chances of "all day" action are much greater.
    Bowtech Archery
    Spot Hogg Archery
    Vaportrail Archery
    Lone Wolf Treestands
    Badlands Packs
    Slick Trick Broadheads
    Sitka Gear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12