Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    rknierim's Avatar
    rknierim is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Effingham, IL
    Posts
    1,490
    Post Thanks / Like

    crossbows legal in IL...

    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bill...4&SessionID=84

    Looks like making it legal to hunt with crossbow in IL is in progress. The amendment to the wildlife statute has passed the House and is up for first reading in Senate tomorrow. HB4819 is on the way to making it legal. Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

  2. #2
    Dogfish is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wv
    Posts
    2,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally i dont think they should be illegal in any state, yes maybe there own season...

  3. #3
    Lady Forge's Avatar
    Lady Forge is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Disgusted by the way it was introduced. Politics as usual in Illinois.

    Here is one story on it
    http://www.heartlandoutdoors.com/cha...ws_are_coming/
    " Who Knew Angry Beavers Could Move So Fast "

  4. #4
    dukemichaels's Avatar
    dukemichaels is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Illinois..
    Posts
    3,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Forge View Post
    Disgusted by the way it was introduced. Politics as usual in Illinois.

    Here is one story on it
    http://www.heartlandoutdoors.com/cha...ws_are_coming/
    I don't know why folks try to differentiate Illinois politics with national politics. The way this bill was introduced is how just about everything gets passed.. and its been done this way since our 2nd president.

    How else you think we 'approve' so much money for off the wall military experiments.

    So.. Illinois wants to allow crossbows.. big deal. Doesn't bother me at all and maybe it will help recruit greater numbers of participants within the state.

    I mean if you don't like crossbows.. don't shoot them.. end of story.
    Last edited by dukemichaels; 04-16-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    October old friend, how I've missed you.

  5. #5
    Christine's Avatar
    Christine is online now Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Utah, baby!!
    Posts
    5,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is soooo politics as usual that there's really nothing unusual about it.

    Having been a member of both the UBI and IBS, I still don't understand their rabidly anti-crossbow positions. (well, I can see it with the UBI because they've become haters and irrational.)

    I'm not pro-crossbow but I'm not really anti-crossbow either. In fact... I think I wish this would pass so people would spend their time fighting for more important issues.

    www.bowfishingassociation.com

    www.b4k.org - Benefit4kids
    www.proishunting.com - Real hunting apparel for women

  6. #6
    Christine's Avatar
    Christine is online now Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Utah, baby!!
    Posts
    5,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dukemichaels View Post
    I don't know why folks try to differentiate Illinois politics with national politics. The way this bill was introduced is how just about everything gets passed.. and its been done this way since our 2nd president.
    Just because it's done often, doesn't mean it's the right way to do things.

    www.bowfishingassociation.com

    www.b4k.org - Benefit4kids
    www.proishunting.com - Real hunting apparel for women

  7. #7
    dukemichaels's Avatar
    dukemichaels is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Illinois..
    Posts
    3,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Just because it's done often, doesn't mean it's the right way to do things.
    Fantastic.

    Did I say that it was the right way to do things?
    October old friend, how I've missed you.

  8. #8
    muzzyman88's Avatar
    muzzyman88 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    20 Feet Up
    Posts
    1,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure the politics involved in Illinois weren't neared as screwed up as they were here in PA when they legalized them. Here, it was basically a money driven issue.

    I'm not pro or against them myself. Hunt with whatever you see fit. Though, judging by the racks and racks of them at our local bow shops these days, its kind of disheartening to see new comers buy a crossbow instead of a real bow. Not to mention the hordes of misinformed guys thinking they can kill deer at 100 yards with one.
    Bowtech Archery
    Spot Hogg Archery
    Vaportrail Archery
    Lone Wolf Treestands
    Badlands Packs
    Slick Trick Broadheads
    Sitka Gear

  9. #9
    rknierim's Avatar
    rknierim is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Effingham, IL
    Posts
    1,490
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok ok ok... This wasn't meant to start bickering. Just for a few honest opinions. I know the crossbow debate always brings out a few who totally oppose them and a few who are totally for them. Politics in IL is just as absurd as it is in the Federal Govt. They are both crooked. End of story there. I only hope it brings a few more ppl into hunting, but I also wish they would study up first and not think just because it has a scope they can shoot out to 100 yrds proficiently. Anyway... on with the debate hahahaha

  10. #10
    rknierim's Avatar
    rknierim is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Effingham, IL
    Posts
    1,490
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad shoots one. We got it for him before he was legal age. He was 61. 62 is legal age for them now. He shot and got pretty accurate out to 70 yrds, but still won't shoot a deer beyond 30. THAT'S what kind of hunter I would like to see come into the sport with a crossbow. Knowing your limits and not exceeding them. Good advice for ALL hunters in my opinion

  11. #11
    Lady Forge's Avatar
    Lady Forge is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dukemichaels View Post
    I don't know why folks try to differentiate Illinois politics with national politics. The way this bill was introduced is how just about everything gets passed.. and its been done this way since our 2nd president.

    How else you think we 'approve' so much money for off the wall military experiments.

    So.. Illinois wants to allow crossbows.. big deal. Doesn't bother me at all and maybe it will help recruit greater numbers of participants within the state.

    I mean if you don't like crossbows.. don't shoot them.. end of story.
    Since you quoted me, are you saying I dont like crossbows? I never said that.
    I like crossbows.
    Do I want to see crossbows allowed during the Illinois Archery Season for eveyrone... NO ... (with the exception for the elderly and handicaped ) This has nothing to do with if I like or dislike crossbows.
    " Who Knew Angry Beavers Could Move So Fast "

  12. #12
    Justin's Avatar
    Justin is offline Administrator Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Algonquin, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    6,101
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman88 View Post
    I'm sure the politics involved in Illinois weren't neared as screwed up as they were here in PA when they legalized them. Here, it was basically a money driven issue.
    In the 5 seasons prior to 2009, PA archery license sales were on the decline. When asked what the #1 problem facing the future of hunting is, most people respond with either anti-hunters, or the overall decline in hunter numbers. In hopes of turning that declining trend around, PA legalized crossbows. In the 3 seasons since that legalization, archery sales have increased by about 30,000 which amounts to just under a 10% increase from 2009.

    I always find it ironic that we, as a group, say we need more of us to preserve and fight for the future of hunting, and when that happens we complain about it.

    I'm not pro or against them myself. Hunt with whatever you see fit. Though, judging by the racks and racks of them at our local bow shops these days, its kind of disheartening to see new comers buy a crossbow instead of a real bow.
    I'm not sure why that would be disheartening. If it brings them enjoyment to shoot a crossbow and to get out and enjoy the same woods, fields and experiences as those with "real bows", who cares? There's plenty of things to be disheartened about in today's world, and the fact that someone chooses to hunt with a different weapon than you do certainly shouldn't be one of them.

    Not to mention the hordes of misinformed guys thinking they can kill deer at 100 yards with one.
    This, admittedly, is troubling. However, there's just as many misinformed archers with compound bows who think that they can shoot 6 arrows a year prior to the season and so long as one of them in relatively close to where they aimed, it's good enough. Ignorance is prevelant in all different aspects of life, and certainly isn't limited solely to those who use a crossbow instead of a compound.

    I'll be glad when this bill passes in Illinois. I may even shoot a deer with a crossbow if it does.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

  13. #13
    Christine's Avatar
    Christine is online now Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Utah, baby!!
    Posts
    5,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Nice rational post.

    www.bowfishingassociation.com

    www.b4k.org - Benefit4kids
    www.proishunting.com - Real hunting apparel for women

  14. #14
    Illinoishunter102's Avatar
    Illinoishunter102 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    1,212
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally wouldnt mind it this does pass, in fact i hope it does because then my dad and younger children (like cousins of mine) would be able to join me in the woods. Although i would like a "crossbow only season" because I already see a steady decline of deer, if hunters would be able to hunt season long with them, i fear that there would be poaching and other possible issues. Other than that, i hope it passes!

    David
    G5 Prime Impact~29" 65lbs
    Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak 350
    HHA Single Pin
    QAD HDX
    Apex Game Changer Quiver
    Fuse Stabilizer
    G5 T3
    Tru-Fire 3D
    "Aim small, miss small."

  15. #15
    Dan's Avatar
    Dan
    Dan is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post JZ.

    I may even shoot a deer with a crossbow if it does.
    Funny you say that. I have said that if it were to become legal here in WI I would do it at least once.
    A) To say I did it.
    B) To piss Johnny off.
    NW Ontario Bear Hunting and Fishing
    Cygnet Lake Camp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •