Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bloodcrick is offline Moderator/BHOD Crew Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Rack Genetic's in your area

Just wondering do you know pretty much the Rack chararacteristics or genetics on the Bucks in your area as noticed on there head gear and what they are? Mine----High and tight, good Mass, and good brows, decent tine length! You would be luck to shoot a Mature Buck with over a 16" IS spread. Spread does not matter much on score but it sure does make a good looking Rack. Its noticable on the younger Bucks as well as they have that high and tight look also. The Buck I killed this last season was just a touch over 14" IS spread and scored over 144". It makes it sometimes hard to field judge as a Big body under a tight Rack will fool ya sometimes. High and tight is the # 1 noticable thing for me thats pretty consistent every year! Whats yours? This not limited to just Mature Bucks, Its a question for all!!!
    < BOWHUNT OR DIE X

2009/10/11/12
    /13/14 official G2G attendee
    Mathews Mania member
    200 Point club member
    Bowhunting.com pro staff
    My face book page https://www.facebook.com/#!/dan.richardson.775

drichardson@bowhunting.com

[

bowhuntIl is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Around our area we have a lot of deer that grow split g2's when they get around 3

englum_06 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool topic Dan!

I've got some pics Ill try and post of how similar alot of our bucks look. Mostly wide racked typical 8s and 10s with little to no junk. The 10s generally have crab claws.
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 30 (29", 66#)
    29.5" Easton Hexx 400
    100 Gr. Ulmer's Edge

2010 200 Point Club (230")
    2012 Largest shed contest winner

GregH is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodcrick View Post
    Just wondering do you know pretty much the Rack chararacteristics or genetics on the Bucks in your area as noticed on there head gear and what they are? Mine----High and tight, good Mass, and good brows, decent tine length! You would be luck to shoot a Mature Buck with over a 16" IS spread. Spread does not matter much on score but it sure does make a good looking Rack. Its noticable on the younger Bucks as well as they have that high and tight look also. The Buck I killed this last season was just a touch over 14" IS spread and scored over 144". It makes it sometimes hard to field judge as a Big body under a tight Rack will fool ya sometimes. High and tight is the # 1 noticable thing for me thats pretty consistent every year! Whats yours? This not limited to just Mature Bucks, Its a question for all!!!

Spread can be one of the better adders to score. Mass is probably in last place. If your buck would have had a 20" spread it would have been a 150. Mass is usually a few inches one way or another. High and wide with good brows is the way to go. That being said, the deer in my area seem to have short brow tines. Some have tall g-1's but most are short. I'm going to have to start culling the short g-1 bucks!
    Quote from another forum:

"You might be a redneck when you let your 14 year old daughter smoke at the dinner table in front of her kids."

shed is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Split brow-tines are pretty common around my neck of the woods, I've killed several over the years and picked up a lot of sheds with them too! We have pretty darned decent main beam length as well. Were we fall short a bit is in the mass department compared to what I have witnessed in the farm country and the mid-west.

Nextbuk Outdoors Pro Staff, big thanks to Lone Wolf Treestands, Monster Raxx, Covert Cameras, Bowtech, Predator Camoflauge, Buck Fever Synthetics, Lacrosse Boots, Frigid Forest, Hooyman, Insane Archery, Vortex Optics, Blind Ambition Bale Blinds, Hunters Safety System!

pastorjim08 is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure that I have noticed any sort of common trait with the racks but one thing I have definately noticed in my hunting area is the body weights. I've seen 2.5 yr olds pushing 250# on a fairly consistant basis. 3.5 yr old I killed a few yrs ago went over 275 field dressed. Seems quite unusual to me.

Blessings......Pastorjim
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/image.php?u=359&type=sigpic&dateline=1408996996

Mere religion is just hanging around the cross........Real Christianity is getting on the cross.

frantic29 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first 3-4 years I hunted my area g2s and g3s with kickers were all the rage. I think about every deer we saw had that. But the last 2 I really haven't seen that come out at all. Don't now why. All the deer around have just been pretty much straight up typical the last 2 years except for the deer I shot this year and his twin thats running around up there. Although I do have a ton of young deer and I guess that could be a trait that just doesn't show up until later. One thing I hope doesn't take hold is a deer that the tines come out the side of the beam and just go strait out. Seen him the last 2 years. His right side is gorgeous but his left is spindly with the tines coming off all sideways. Hoping its due to injury and not genetics.

jeffacarp is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like we have a lotta tall and wide typical 8's and 10's with decent mass. My 153" from 2011 had a 24" IS.

The only nontypical characteristics I seem to notice is on the older deer and it generally entails some trashy brows or stickers off the G2/G3's. No drop tines or anything like that.

We did have a cool young buck last summer I nicknamed halo because his main beams actually came high and tight and over lapped in the front. I'm curious to see what he'll grow into.
    Mathews Z7 Extreme
    Easton FMJ's
    NAP Killzones

..."shoot straight and may your blood trails be short and wide."

Genesis 21:20

www.buriednockbowhunting.com
    "living the buried nock life"

UPbowhunter is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our deer generally are 8 pointers with weak brows, 3 1/2 yr olds gross around 130". The difference between a 2 1/2 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old is about 15 inches, of mass, tine length, and beam length.
    You can take the Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.com

rknierim is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorjim08 View Post
    I'm not sure that I have noticed any sort of common trait with the racks but one thing I have definately noticed in my hunting area is the body weights. I've seen 2.5 yr olds pushing 250# on a fairly consistant basis. 3.5 yr old I killed a few yrs ago went over 275 field dressed. Seems quite unusual to me.

Blessings......Pastorjim
    Good grief! Those are some healthy deer. I think I would either have to make sure I had somebody lined up to help drag it out or shoot some darned young deer LOL. I'm getting too out of shape and old to be draggin that much weight for much distance. I guess if I ever get a chance to hunt around you, I better start working out a few months ahead of time

Matt is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    High and tight with no or only one brow tine. Of course thouse arent the 'mature deer' not enough of those to gain a comparison.
    2013 and 2014 GTG Attendee

Team KILL!

Doe Slayer is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Symmetrical bucks in my area. 90 percent of the bucks i see would have less than 5" of deductions. Non typicals and non typical point are pretty rare.

Rory/MO is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    All different kinds in the area I mainly hunt..

Schultzy is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day heavy and wide but nothing much over 7 to 8 Inches on tine length. As of right now, still wide but skinny mass now. Length Is also starting to get nice.

Schultzy is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorjim08 View Post

Blessings......Pastorjim
    Field dressed? Who aged them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast