help deciding on good camo..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by The_kid_izzy, Mar 19, 2012.

1. The_kid_izzy

The_kid_izzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i am wanting to get good camo for both seasons this year, in cluding base layer, jacket and pant. can someone help me narrow my search?
    been looking at gamehide/solocam and under armour ridge reaper.
    ridge reaper is early season so i guess i would need opinions on a good waterproof winter/fall season set.

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well Im sorry to say but camo is camo. You don't need any special kind. I know guys that go with a bright orange with break up and get deer so camo is one of last things on list of importance. But just look at the trees and surroundings where you'll be hunting and see what is close to that. A lot of the camo is just for the hunter that likes to look good and usually you pay for the name thats on the clothing rather than its performance. Just go with long johns then maybe a hoody/sweatpants and some camo over top.

3. The_kid_izzy

The_kid_izzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok. theres just so many different ones with dofferent materials. just needed a little help narrowing down some companies that work so i dont waste money on something that is garbage.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    While I'll agree that many patterns are aimed at hunters not hiding from deer, I have to disagree on the hoodie/sweatpants line.

When buying hunting clothing, the material it's made of is of utmost importance to me. Cotton anything sucks IMO. The technology in outdoor clothing has come leaps and bounds. Lighter, dryer, warmer than ever before. Not to mention the noise that some cheap clothing can produce, especially when the temps drop.

The tough part for me, is that I have to get my hands on it before I'll buy it. I'm currently saving up to get some items from Sitka. Great stuff from what I can tell.

5. The_kid_izzy

The_kid_izzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    sitka. hmm. anything in particular?
    have you heard anything about any of the gamehide/lost camo products? i know the guys on the show wear it religiously. but i cant get any of the main members to answer my questions. is there any other way of getting a hold of them?

6. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Opti fade...sitka makes some great products.

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I just invested in the game hide solo cam just weeks ago. It seems to be very good quality camo. Check out www.gamehide as they have a closeout corner sale right now. I got some great deals on mine, some for less that half price!

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    You beat me to it Mike,,yeah always one step ahead of Crick :hater: But yes as Mike said quality is very important if you want something that last for years to come, and spending the $$$ is worth it!

10. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka gear is all I wear. Yes, it's expensive but it's more of an investment piece than a purchase. Use their system builder to find exactly what you need. If you need any specifics on any of the pieces feel free to PM me. I have use most, if not all of their stuff.
    http://www.sitkagear.com/system-generator.aspx

11. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nuthin better than KUIU, made by the same guy who used to own Sitka, he just makes it even better now

12. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  13. SFarcher

SFarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gamehide

Gamehides Mathews collection gridlock jacket and pant has a very nice and quiet material. Great product. Also the lostcamo pattern blends very well.

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well sweatpants/hoody works. It just might not be best choice if you can afford better product. I believe some things do work well and plan on eventually getting a nice set but not until I get some reviews first :tu:

15. ngabowhunter

ngabowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am a mossey oak fan, and here in the south the UM heat gear is perfect for half the season, later I might slide a little 3.0 UM under that. We wish for mid-west temps

16. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Predator camo. Best pattern out there IMO.

As for the clothing itself. You get what you pay for mostly. Clothing is extremely important to me. If I can't stay dry, warm and comfortable, I can't stay in the stand as long.

Look at the clothing as an investment. You could go cheaper and either wear the stuff out in a season or two or buy high quality stuff and it will wear for years and years. I bought a complete set of Gray Wolf Woolens Wolfskin clothing and wear the heck out of it. It's 7 years old now and still look like the day I bought it sans a couple of high wear areas.

17. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use Scentlok in Mossy Oak Treestand for the late season and Realtree AP for any other time. The Ap can be used anytime of the year but if I am hunting hardwoods with no leaves I will definitely where the treestand. As far as a base layer, I use anything that is not cotton or cotton blend....I want zero cotton in my hunting clothes unless it is my outer coat when it is really cold. My coat I would prefer to be fleece or wool lined though...

18. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent lok vertigo full season works in both warm and cold the base layers as well incredibly well made!

19. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO camouflage patterns are just a preference. As for me I wear military basic camo pants and a Yukon AP Camo Jacket.

20. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: