What was your very first bow??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just thought it would be fun to see what everyone else shot for their first bow.

I started shooting about 2 years ago now and my first bow was older than some of the members on here. It was a 199modelle Bear Blackpanther. Yep, and it was borrowed. I shot that bow for a 9 months before I gave it back. I did some upgrades on it, bought a bunch of stuff for it (that I kept and replaced back with the original), shot it so much I had to replace the string and once I figured out, I wasn't going to get out of archery I upgraded. lol I've come a long way from what I was shooting 2 years ago.

2. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was a bear recurve that my dad had. When I was 9 he would make me practice hour and a half everyday if I wanted to hunt. I ended up killing a bobcat of all things with that bow. No sights no stab. Wish I would have stuck with it after getting my compound.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow of any sort was a red fiberglass Bear longbow. My first "real" bow was a Joy Vallery Archery (JVA) Astro. After that I upgraded to a Golden Eagle Predator, which is the bow I killed my first deer with.

4. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Martin Prowler. Bow was made in the 1980s, I purchased it in 2008 on the advice of a friend who was already a bowhunter. I should have known something was wrong with his decision making ability when I saw him shooting an Oneida.

5. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow was a Jennings unistar. Down side was it was 2 months ago. Only paid 40 for it only to take it to a bow shop to find out it has a crack in a limb. Now I have been shopping so much they all are starting to look a like. Maybe in a few weeks ill get a Brand new one. I'm done with other people's problems.

6. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first Bow was a Bear Whitetail 2 had it for 2 seasons and got a Golden Eagle Predator that I kept for 13 years until I got my Bear Truth2 then the Bear Attack after the Truth2 was stolen. I killed my first deer with the Golden Eagle, Loved that bow!

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first was a Golden Eagle Super Hawk. Decked it out with a Cobra sight and an overdraw rest, shooting 2117 Easton Aluminums and Muzzy heads.

I took several deer with that bow before I bought a new bow, a Reflex Extreme Solo cam.

8. grs00

grs00 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first was a 1993 Bear Whitetail with round wheels bought new in 1994. Shot it for 16 years and still have it. you could watch the arrowws arc after shot and hit the target. My "new" bow is a 2001 Reflex Teton which is super fast compared to the Bear Whitetail.

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    1ST Was a red fiberglass Bear bow, i still have it. First to hunt with was an Indian Savage recurve and I still have that also. That was over 30 years ago!

10. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had some old fiberglass recurves, but my first compound bow when I was 12 was a Darton (not sure of the model).

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Golden Eagle Talon, Cobra Sights, and two prong rest my dad bought me when I was 13. Shooting 2117's and 100gr Wasp heads. Shooting fingers, too:D I was hardcore.

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess technically my first one was my dads old yellow fiberglass (I think is what it was made of) From the 60'sI guess I should hav thought about that a little more before I answered my own question. lol Not sure what brand or anything but, I shot it until the string broke a year or so after I found it. I found it along with some old arrows in my Grandparents old house that my dad and his brothers made into a game room/party house. The roof was falling in and the floor was week. I found a bunch of old stuff in there I played with for years, including an old Cox Model airplane company army jeep that had a little line controlled .049 engine on it. That thing was cool!! Sorry, I know it isn't bow related but, it was pretty neat.

13. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bear Whitetail two. Damn compared to now that was a p.o.s. but I sure had alot of fun with it. Next was a Diamond Poison before Bowtech even thought of buying them..

14. JustDad1520

JustDad1520 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first hunting bow was a Bear White tale 2. Shot 2219 arrows with 5 inch feathers and 125 grain 4 blade broad heads with fingers at 45 pounds. Killed my first deer with it at 10 yards from about 10 foot up a tree in a baker climbing stand. Blew right through the cow horn. Put a perfect 4 point star though it's heart :woot:

15. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PSE Pacer around 1975 or 1976. Back when the wheels/cams were held on by brackets bolted to the limbs and the cables were actually metal cabels. I still have it and used it for bowfishing a couple years ago.

Purchased brand new I may add. Yep I'm old!

16. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some kinda Darton I believe

17. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had this green fiberglass I think it was a longbow, I don't think it was a recurve. It was too light to hunt anyways.

Then I was given a shakeaspeare Necedah for my 1st hunting bow.

My 1st compound was a PSE pulsar express.

18. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    first bow was a 32" Yew longbow my dad built for me. I was 2 years old. First hunting bow was a PSE Nova.

19. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It started shooting my dads friends old old pse. Then i fell in love with bows to purchase my first bow which was a martin cheetah. Now i have an elite pulse:rock:

20. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A PSE something or other.

Honestly I don't know how people remember all the names of these type of things.. or dates of a buck kill.

I can't remember squat when it comes to that kind of stuff.. which is funny to me since I have a photographic memory of sorts.. but little details like the name of my bow.. got no clue.

Thunderbolt.. Lightning bolt.. Thunder lightning bolt.. bolt... maybe?? I think??