Fixed blade or mechanical?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ninja of the woods, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Ninja of the woods

Ninja of the woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use G5 Tekons and LOVE them, in your opinon witch one is better?

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Question of the decade right here. I use rage but i also have fixed blade broadheads in my quiver as a back up. I love the cutting diameter and the field point accuracy of them. But you cant beat not worrying if the broadheads opened if you used a fix blade. Im sure many people are going to say that its not the broadhead but the shot placement that counts which is 100% true but a good bh couldn't hurt any.

3. trapper406

trapper406 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New guy here. Just posted in the intro section and thought I would jump right into the chats. I shoot Muzzy MX-3. 100 grain. I have always shot them them and guess i'm a believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I understand mechanicals are much better than they used to be but I will stick with my fixed blades.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^2. Good answer. I personally used fixed blades last season. I will be using NAP Killzones this coming season. Similar to Rage but, it doesn't have O-rings and on top of that, both blades deploy at the same time.

http://www.newarchery.com/products/1-67/broadheads/killzone.html

A fixed blade will show any and every flaw in your bows tuning.

5. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grim Reapers are my choice. 100 grain 1.75" makes a heeck of a hole.

6. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the fixed blades I use most of the time because they look cool and I can re-sharpen them.

7. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Which is exactly the problem with expandables. Too many people have tuning issues with fixed blades so they turn to expandables to get that field point accuracy without ever having fixed their tuning or form issues.

Both work, both have been proven, but don't choose an expandable simply because you have tuning issues, you're just masking your problem.

8. Ninja of the woods

Ninja of the woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im gonna order my self some killzones. To nice to pass.

9. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more. Even though I am going to be using mechanicals this coming up season, I will still paper tune, Walk back tune and broadhead tune my bow. Then and only then will I screw on the mechanicals.

I am glad I am this far ahead of the game with my equipment and knowledge this year so I can spend way more time just practicing and scouting than I did last season.

10. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would try the kill zones or the 2 blade blood runner but they are both illegal in NY.

11. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I hear they will be released April 1st.

12. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i just picked up some g5 montec 100 grains they fly just like my field points i will be useing them on a boar hunt in nov i mite try the killzone for deer this fall i think it is what works out your set up the best and what you shoot the best when it comes to a bh

13. Hunter1958

Hunter1958 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an old school guy...been hunting with a bow only for 25 years...I've used Muzzy forever, with great results..with that said this past season I used Swhacker broadheads...didn't kill anything with them this year but I can vouch for them...fly like a field point
    and cut the heck out of whatever they hit...I'll have them on for next year as well.

14. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed blades are my primary BH's but I have no problem with a mech. haha I've tried alot of chisel tip type broadheads and keep going back to muzzy 3 blades. But I have started dwelling in the mechanical world and one may find a place in my quiver.

15. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They both kill deer dead, use what hits where you aim! And don't blame the broadhead. Most of the time the blame belongs on the shooter.

16. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be shooting 100 grain Thunderheads. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it! ;-)

17. JakeEmche

JakeEmche Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot rage broadheads mostly. They work great but my dad did have one horror story where one of the blades didn't open. Had the nap blood runners in my quiver for a while this year, but
    Never got the chane to try them out on a deer.

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both in the past and I shoot both right now. Depends on the game and situation. I cant honestly say I ever had a broad head failure for any type. Have I I had some that I didn't liked ....yes of course. But i have never had one that I put in the right spot that didn't kill a deer, or other game for that matter.

Right now I am shooting Spitfire Edges and Ramcats. The past season was my first with both them and I was very very happy with the results.

19. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Barbed Broadheads
    A photo showing examples of Broadhead arrowheads

Barbed broadheads are illegal for hunting big game. A barbed broadhead is one in which the angle formed between the trailing or rear edge of any blade and the shaft is less than 90 degrees. Broadhead examples on the right compare one that is barbed to three that are legal. Broadheads with retractable blades are legal. Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear.

As long as the blades on the killzones flip back like rages they are legal in NYS. The actual page http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

20. Cheffy

Cheffy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just want to say thanks for the info here. I will be getting my first compound bow and equipment this next week and this is one of the things i have been debating. For learning how the bow works I think i will go with a fixed blade.