Z7 Extreme or Heli-M

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Beef, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Beef

Beef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am really looking closely between these two bows and I know a lot of you will say "Go shoot the bow and which ever one you like best". But that really isn't an option, because I have a shorter then average draw length and they never have the right mods for me to shoot. So If I got the Extreme would I really be loosing out over the Heli-M? I'm just looking for a little guidance here, thanks in advance!

2. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got rid of my Z7 and ordered a heli. I also have a shorter draw length (26.5) If they want to sell you a bow bad enough they will set it up for you. Heli is heads above the Z7x IMO. But you need to decide for yourself. The extra 1/2 lb lighter goes along way with me for the type of hunting I do. So that was a big plus. If your already going to spend 749+ on a Z7x I'd really look into the Heli for 50$ more. Just my 2 cents.....

3. Beef

Beef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a lot!

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The primary difference between the two bows is the weight. You're about 1/2 a pound lighter on the Heli-m than the Xtreme. Aside from that the specs are very similar.

Personally, I'd get the Heli-m. I really like the feel of the lighter weight bow, and it's got a positive draw stop so the back wall is rock solid. Plus, if you decide to sell it after a year it will have a better resale value b/c it's the newer model.

Either way you really can't go wrong.

5. Beef

Beef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That right there might be the selling factor for me over the Extreme.

6. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i'd personally wait and get a leftover '11 xtreme for cheap.. :)

7. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    What are you calling cheap? I've never really seen the older Mathews bows go down that much. Unless your buying it used of course......

8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not to mention there was really no change in their bows except for the new flagship. So if your buying new there is really no reason for the dealer to go down on an '11 model.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be 100% honest, I think guys sacrifice other valuable purchases (better stands, sites, possible small lease, boots, camouflage) by thinking they need the most high $$ hunting bow they can get ahold of. Now don't get me wrong this past spring when I started my quest for a new bow the Z7x was the top of my list and it is a dang fine bow, but I couldn't justify buying it for the $ compared to what I did buy. With the money saved I actually purchased a brand new TC Impact 50cal. ML for when I do some late season ML'er hunts and a new pair of warm weather rubber boots. Yeah I still spent about $1000 on hunting stuff once bow, ML and boots were all added together (w/sites, ammo, arrows, rest and powder)...but I was completely set for archery and even ML....where if I bought the Z7x I'd have spent that much for the bow, sites, rest, quiver...

I'm saying all this just because it's a big purchase for some of us and one that could affect what we have to spend in other categories in the coming year. If you've got the cash and it doesn't matter I am with Justin, the Heli-m is above the Z7x because of the weight....something that is a huge plus!

10. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just purchased the z7x over the heli-m .. to me (and don't get me wrong both bows are extremely bad ass) the heli-m looks like it was made with a little less quality. I understand the new geo-grid functionality and that's not the part im talking about. The string stop looks like they cut an arrow shaft down and put a rubber stopper at the end vs the z7x's dead end string stop that looks a lot more rugged. Plus I like the extra weight, it makes stabilizing the bow much easier. Now granted all of this is strictly a visual difference and I can't prove nor will I say that the heli-m is of lesser quality. I think if you choose a Mathews, you made the right choice. Both are SUPER quiet and come from a JAM UP company.

I know this won't help, because I haven't made a definitive point, I just like to ramble. lol

Aim small, Miss small!!
    Good luck!!

11. Grits

Grits Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HTML:
    I just purchased the z7x over the heli-m .. to me (and don't get me wrong both bows are extremely bad ass) the heli-m looks like it was made with a little less quality.
    I have had the xtreme for a few months now and I shot the Helim a few weeks ago and for a second I had the same impression when I looked at the string stop. But mathews states they did this to cut down on the weight, and along with other changes, they did.

When I picked up the Helim and shot it, it felt much lighter. But then I had to remember I was shooting a bow without a quiver full of arrows like I normally do. I have to admitt I liked the lighter feel.

The draw also felt a little different and I also liked the way it felt - just a little - over the way my Xtreme feels. If I did feel a difference it was just barely perceptable though. I would have to shoot them side by side, at the same draw weight to be sure there was really a difference and how much better it really felt.

They man where I shot the Helim said several people had said they thought there was more vibration in the Helim than the Xtreme. I did not notice this. I do not feel anything objectionable in the Xtreme or the Helim. In fact, I do not motice any vibration in either of them.

I plan to buy another mathews soon in a different draw weight. I am shooting a 70 pound bow now between 65 and 70 pounds but want to buy a bow I can shoot all day without worrying about making my shoulder hurt - something that is not that hard to do when you are 65 years old. I plan to get a 60 pound bow and I plan to buy the Helim, but only because I already have the Xtreme and I will be using it next year to hunt with.

My feeling is that either bow you buy is going to be a good one. I feel personally that with the Xtreme, mathews has come close to perfection. They will be hard pressed to improve on perfection. Mathews has to be careful. When you are at the brink of perfection you have to be careful you don't change something, and for the sake of making a change,end up taking a step backwards. I bet mathews has already thought of this though :D

After reading what I just wrote - I guess I am a Fan Boy. :lol:

12. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Z7x and the Heli twice side by side. The first was a bare bow which I have a hard time telling because of the vibration and noise inside. You hear the arrow hit the target thats about it. The feel I honestly felt the Heli had more vibration when I shot the two side by side the second time with sights and stabilizer on. I am in the same boat is you. I am dumping Bowtech and going Mathews and I really wanted a newest model. But I felt the Z7x felt far better when releasing the arrow. I loved the light HeliM but there was more recoil. Just sayin'. Looking for a good deal on Z7x and that's coming from a Bowtech user that has never owned a Mathews so I am not partial to any particular Mathews bow.

13. Cmiller

Cmiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both bows and ended up ordering a heli-m. A major decision for me was the weight. There is a very noticeable difference. My current bow is an Fx so both of the other bows are light years ahead in technology. I will say that I kind of liked the look of the extreme a little better but in the end I opted for the smoother draw, solid draw stop and weight of the heli-m. I didn't notice any difference in vibration between the two. That is all just my opinion and yours may be different but it is also your money to spend.

In my opinion anyone who says one is better than the other has one of them and is just trying to justify to themselves that they made the right decision. Like Grits said, the extreme is near perfection and the direction mathews took was to lighten it. The only way to do that is to take away material and use other lighter materials. It you think that makes the bow look cheap then buy the extreme.

14. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've just never understood people's obsession with weight. I remember when I was really into wakeboarding and I saw people spending over $500 more for a honeycomb-core wakeboard in order to save a mere two pounds. People pay gobs of extra money for these lightweight rifles with metal cut out from the bolt, etc. To each there own, but for me it just isn't worth it.

Now if I was in a bow shop and the two models were only $50 difference, I'd probably buy the newer model if all else was equal, just to have the newer model and possibly more resale value. But half a pound weight difference doesn't make any difference to me.

15. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After hiking around about 7-8+ miles a day for 11 days in Alaska w my bow, the FIRST thing I told my friends upon return was that I needed to shave weight off my setup. Bow is heavy, pack was heavy, etc.I agree walking a few hundred yards from the truck to the treestand and weight means nothing, but not everyone hunts that way either

16. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with TEmbry. After Hiking the rockies 5-8 miles a day and that much more mule deer hunting this year. The first thing I told my dad was I wish I still had my DXT. That Z7 wore me out! I had way to much weight on that thing to start out with. My Heli-M is getting all new stuff an going with the lightest stuff I can find. Weight DOES matter just depends what conditions you are hunting.

17. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do not think anyone has mentioned the ATA didference. I believe the HELI-M is 30 compared to the z7 @ 28 inches. For me personally 28 ATA is just too short for me. The HELI-M is 2 inches longer and .5 lbs lighter, that makes a big difference to me.