Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    TexasOutdoorsman is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Scent Away Really Work?

I know deer can smell. I know when your bowhunting your going to be close to the deer. What I don't know is if scent away and other scent killing products honestly make a difference. I use it sometimes, but I was not wearing it when I killed all 4 of my deer so far.. Do you guys think its necessary? How many times do you spray it on you? Please reply and include any other info on scent away or tips that you think might be helpful.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MRbassma...n?feature=mhee

Saltysakz is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use scent blocker jacket, pants, gloves, head cover. I shower and spray and try to do everything I can to control scent. I spray like crazy. Opening day this year I had a light wind at my back and a doe stepped out at 10 yards downwind. I blew the shot but that was another story. Was it the spray? Clothes? Showering? Combination? I'm not sure but I have had deer very close to me when I hunt. Now, when I don't see any, did they smell me? Quite possibly. Maybe someone else knows a scientific answer to this. ????
    Erik

pseshooter89 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read Scent A Way doesn't kill airborne odors, it just prevents further odors. Not sure if that's true.

I bought the entire case of scent a way from Wal-Mart: deodorant, soap, spray, detergent, washer sheets, and a plastic bag to keep clothes in. The effectiveness of scent a way I'm unsure, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. This plus being about 25ft in a tree stand should do the trick.
    Last edited by pseshooter89; 10-09-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    Request to change my username to TSHunter89.

Razorback_fanatic is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it works. I am very scent conscious. Also, anything to give you the added confidence to make the ultimate hunt successful.
    "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
    -Romans 10:9

Hoosier Daddy is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    As we all know it doesnt make you invisable , BUT , out of all i have used on the market the Hunters Specialties Scent A-Way works the best as far as i'm concerned

cabinkd is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used scent killer for years and swore by it until I started thinking that it didnt work that well. Thats when I switched to Scent A Way ACORN SCENTED. It works way better than scent killer and I believe that is partially due to the acorn scent.

You wont be disappointed.
    Likes El_Jefe liked this post

rickmur is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably as much as Sent blocker and the other clothing that's out there.
    Bowhunting is my Passion

cabinkeeper is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love scent-a-way.I left some beef sticks in my work lunch box.It was in the garage for most of the summer.I assume u know whats next???
    I sprayed scent a way in the cooler,the stink was gone!
    test it u'rself put gasoline on u'r hands,let dry,spray with u'r favorite scent remover,do they(hands) smell like gas anymore?
    I use new,unused military,NBC suits (charcoal lined)bought from (colemans.com)30.00 can't go wrong!!!!Go with the British style for early archery,they are thinner than the NATO style(better camo pattern also)American style is just basic olive drab.
    Jennings Buckmaster
    Muzzy Zero effect rest
    Beaman carbon arrows
    scott release
    Thunderhead broadheads

Gyle is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theres a cover page article in the last few months from field and stream about a scent control. They take a drug sniffing dog and have him find a man in a field of 30 or so boxes. Then they have the dog try and find a man in one of the boxes who has steped in in clean clothes, then again after in full scent blocker atire and sprayed down etc... The dog finds the man without the scent elimination products in 19 seconds without i believe and 11 or 12 seconds with the scent killer. So to a drug dogs nose, there is no difference. There was also a article about the actual fabrics effectiveness is actuall as high as they say. Its only around 9-10% if i remember compared to the claimed 70 and up percentage.

I believe that it does help but its effectivness is no where near what they say it is. But as bowhunters we need every single bit of help we can get. If it means an extra 5 yards closer you can get I'll take it because it could be all we need to make a sucessful shot.
    Last edited by Gyle; 10-10-2011 at 07:31 PM.

selfbros is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s the deal. Young deer are stupid! They will sometimes not follow their nose FACT! I've had 1.5 year old bucks several time come up downwind of me, and sometimes I didn't even have camo on. So to answer your question. NO! However, if you're hoping to score a mature doe or buck then the answer is, YES! Think of it this way will you? Have you ever had a basket ball player walk by you in a gym? If so, do you remember how they stink? That’s the smell deer smell with our natural scent, but until they associate it with danger, then all bets are off. That’s why I stay away from the woods when it’s 80+ degrees and no rain in the forecast. A general rule is; if you sweat then the woods then it will smell like a high school locker room to the deer. That’s why it so important to use scent spray before, during and after your hunting. Because the deer “CAN SMELL YOU, LIKE YOUR WIFE SMELLS YOUR FARTS!”
    I don't alway pee in bottles, but when I do I prefer Dos Eques.

-The most interesting hunter in the world-

Shane The Pain

indianabrandon is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    i realize this is from 2009 but its a good look into some studies about this topic.. http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/re...bit-your-scent
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim

Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Q.A.D Ultrarest HDx
    Fuse carbon connexion stabilizer
    G5 sights
    TRU Fire release
    Broadheads- ? Working on that

*Iraq Combat Veteran* -NEC ASPERA TERRENT

bmorris is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Science and canines agree it doesn't work.
    Paid advertising says it does.
    Which do you trust and believe ?

Ky/Jody is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasOutdoorsman View Post
    I know deer can smell. I know when your bowhunting your going to be close to the deer. What I don't know is if scent away and other scent killing products honestly make a difference. I use it sometimes, but I was not wearing it when I killed all 4 of my deer so far.. Do you guys think its necessary? How many times do you spray it on you? Please reply and include any other info on scent away or tips that you think might be helpful.
    It helps, but its not 100%. I do believe in using scent killer. We need all the help we can get.

headstrong is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Short answer. Yes it does.

Bear Motive 6
    Doinker Tactical
    Rage Cage Quiver
    Vapor Trail Pro V
    Black Eagle Rampage Arrows
    Nockturnals
    2" Killzone COC, Rage Extreme
    Viper Quickset 5 Pin .010 Slider
    Equalizer Release

Meathunter is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    All you Need is NOSE JAMMER!

j/k but I don't know if Scent Away works or not but im not willing to go with out it
    "You must do the things today that others will not do, so that you can have the things tomorrow that others will not have."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast