Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    iHunt is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

My deer processing shed

Some of you may have heard me mention that I am building a shed for processing my deer in, I know I talked to Crick about it at the GTG.

The entire shed is 16' wide by 24' long (divided into two rooms, each 16' by 12'), with an 8' porch area on the South side (facing the house and driveway).

The North side:

The South side:

^^^The posts are treated 12' 6x6s that are stained.

For the shorter walls, I used 10' 2x4s as the studs, and for the taller wall I used 12' 2x4s. In the middle, there is a double 2x10 beam running the entire length of the roof (32 feet) with 4x4 posts carrying the weight down to the floor. The roof is 2x6s on 16" centers, with 2x4 insulation to allow the roof to breathe.

Here is the inside of the North room (processing side):

This wall is covered with FRP, the stuff that most public bathrooms have on the walls. This is where I will be doing all the actual processing of the deer. Starting tomorrow, I will be building a counter-top style work bench with a stainless steel sink. There will also be a wire shelf above the entire counter.

All the outlets in this room are waterproof:

The rest of the walls in this room are covered in acrylic sheets, roughly 3/16" thick:

^^^The nails are not in a good line because the acrylic sheets already had holes in them from being used as a science experiment in my old mans lab, I'm not that cross eyed lol.

Everything in this room is completely washable. Between every sheet of acrylic or FRP, I have caulked behind, in between, and in the connecting strips. Where the walls meet the floor, I have caulked the seem to make sure no water gets wicked up into the OSB or behind the acrylic. When I poured the concrete, I sloped everything towards the middle of the room and towards the door. All I need to do now is cut a drain with the kwikee saw, and bury some drainage pipe under the door and down the hill.

In this room, I have built a crank style gambrel system. I have had 9 deer hanging on this so far, and it is more than strong enough to hold the weight of a deer (guts and all) and me hanging on it:

^^^There will be 1x4 trim going around the door and under the loft, so cover up those gaps. No sense in cutting new pieces of OSB when you have scraps that are an inch too narrow

8' off the floor, I built a loft style storage area for all my bulky hunting items. My deer and turkey decoys, extra stands and sticks, coolers, etc. will be stored up there and out of the way when I don't need them:

Also, in this room I installed a large window unit air conditioner to cool the room down for those early season deer that I get:

I will be updating this thread as I make more progress, especially on the South side (which is just studs and wires on the inside, with a loft).

If anyone kills a deer around Manhattan, feel free to bring it over
    Cole

Monster Raxx Pro staff

2013 200 Point Club (227 6/8)
    2012 200 Point Club (216 3/8)
    2011 200 Point Club (201 3/8)
    2010 200 Point Club (200 0/8)
    2011 Deer Contest Champions
    2011 Turkey Contest Champions
    2011 G2G Attendee
    2013 G2G Attendee

Ky/Jody is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by iHunt View Post
    Some of you may have heard me mention that I am building a shed for processing my deer in, I know I talked to Crick about it at the GTG.

The entire shed is 16' wide by 24' long (divided into two rooms, each 16' by 12'), with an 8' porch area on the South side (facing the house and driveway).

The North side:

The South side:

^^^The posts are treated 12' 6x6s that are stained.

For the shorter walls, I used 10' 2x4s as the studs, and for the taller wall I used 12' 2x4s. In the middle, there is a double 2x10 beam running the entire length of the roof (32 feet) with 4x4 posts carrying the weight down to the floor. The roof is 2x6s on 16" centers, with 2x4 insulation to allow the roof to breathe.

Here is the inside of the North room (processing side):

This wall is covered with FRP, the stuff that most public bathrooms have on the walls. This is where I will be doing all the actual processing of the deer. Starting tomorrow, I will be building a counter-top style work bench with a stainless steel sink. There will also be a wire shelf above the entire counter.

All the outlets in this room are waterproof:

The rest of the walls in this room are covered in acrylic sheets, roughly 3/16" thick:

^^^The nails are not in a good line because the acrylic sheets already had holes in them from being used as a science experiment in my old mans lab, I'm not that cross eyed lol.

Everything in this room is completely washable. Between every sheet of acrylic or FRP, I have caulked behind, in between, and in the connecting strips. Where the walls meet the floor, I have caulked the seem to make sure no water gets wicked up into the OSB or behind the acrylic. When I poured the concrete, I sloped everything towards the middle of the room and towards the door. All I need to do now is cut a drain with the kwikee saw, and bury some drainage pipe under the door and down the hill.

In this room, I have built a crank style gambrel system. I have had 9 deer hanging on this so far, and it is more than strong enough to hold the weight of a deer (guts and all) and me hanging on it:

^^^There will be 1x4 trim going around the door and under the loft, so cover up those gaps. No sense in cutting new pieces of OSB when you have scraps that are an inch too narrow

8' off the floor, I built a loft style storage area for all my bulky hunting items. My deer and turkey decoys, extra stands and sticks, coolers, etc. will be stored up there and out of the way when I don't need them:

Also, in this room I installed a large window unit air conditioner to cool the room down for those early season deer that I get:

I will be updating this thread as I make more progress, especially on the South side (which is just studs and wires on the inside, with a loft).

If anyone kills a deer around Manhattan, feel free to bring it over
    Very, very nice. How much will it cost you. We need something simular at our camp.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol, well.... I'm not sure exactly, but its up there. The concrete was $1000 plus labor, the OSB was around $800, the shingles and roofing was around $600, getting electricity was $4000, the air conditioner was around $400-500 new, the windows were around $400 I think. I'd hate to think what they labor would be, I have done everything myself (with some help for the concrete from some friends). I can add things up tomorrow maybe *shudder*
    Cole

Monster Raxx Pro staff

2011 G2G Attendee
    2013 G2G Attendee

Post Thanks / Like
    It is insured for $30,000 right now I believe
    Cole

Monster Raxx Pro staff

2011 G2G Attendee
    2013 G2G Attendee

KyleLewis is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iHunt View Post
    lol, well.... I'm not sure exactly, but its up there. The concrete was $1000 plus labor, the OSB was around $800, the shingles and roofing was around $600, getting electricity was $4000, the air conditioner was around $400-500 new, the windows were around $400 I think. I'd hate to think what they labor would be, I have done everything myself (with some help for the concrete from some friends). I can add things up tomorrow maybe *shudder*
    I can't believe you ran a sub-panel to this thing! Thats going to be nice.
    Mathews Z7xTREME
    Trophy Ridge Whisker Bisquit
    TruGlow Apex Inferno 3 pin sight
    Tru-fire release
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's
    Thunderheads
    Summit Viper SS

"What you bring into the woods is important but what you drag out says more."

OHbowhunter is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome looking setup!

Will this strictly be for you or do you plan on doing some side work with it?

Jake/OH is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Primo looking setup, looks great!
    2011 Bear Strike
    Goldtip XT Hunter Arrows
    NAP Hell Razors
    EXtreme Challenger Series 3 pin

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now, it is only for personal use. In the future I am planning on starting a small business out of it, not real sure exactly what it will be though.
    Cole

Monster Raxx Pro staff

2011 G2G Attendee
    2013 G2G Attendee

Treehopper is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive

Iowa Veteran is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    very nice!
    The shallow people on BHC who can't stick with us big boys should stick to the shallow end of the pool so they don't drown.

Siman/OH is offline Senior Member Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome set up!

2009, 2010 and 2013 G2G Attendee!

Finch is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!!! I love these type of threads!

jfergus7 is offline Field Staff Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is just awesome! Wish I knew how to build stuff like that.
    Mathews Helim
    Carbon Express Blue Streak Selects
    NAP Killzones & Quickfletches
    NAP Apache Carbon
    Pine Ridge Nitro Stabilizer
    Lakewood Products Bowfile

Click Here: To check out my Youtube Page

WIdeerSlayer is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I WANT
    Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.

Vendetta is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! You, sir, are a serious deer hunter.
    PSE Vendetta XS 60lb
    Easton Axis N-Fused
    Slick Trick 100g Standard

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast