Question for the experienced bow bird hunter

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by duckkillerclyde, Jun 12, 2011.

1. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are you using that will float and not shatter when shot out of a compound bow?

What kind of tip are you using on large game birds?

I will be hunting mostly waterfowl but cannot afford to $10 arrows to sink on me and I can not have a broad head as it will cut my dog and the water is too deep for me to retrieve and my boat sits on the dirt when the tide goes out so boating over to the bird is not always an option.

2. Gjacobs

Gjacobs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Waterfowl with a bow over land might be a better option, never heard of anyone doing it overwater because you will lose your arrows not matter what type you shoot. Good luck!!

3. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess you could always use a carp bow and then reel them in after you shoot them.

I was fishing Lake Superior from shore once and had a seagull grab my bait before it had time to drop. That bastard wouldn't let go of my line for awhile and I was afraid if I pulled, I might hook the seagull. I imagine if you don't hit them right, that bird might try flying away with your gear too.

Nobody wants to see this: Arrowed Goose

4. DoeDropper

DoeDropper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    buy a shotgun.

5. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:
    shooting ducks with shotguns is too easy.

I am very handy with a shotgun.

6. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:
    maybe you didn't watch the video but I don't see why you would post an anti-hunting video on a website that is called "bowhunting.com"

Not trying to attack you but the guy in the video says that
    I don't know what your state waterfowl regulations say, but in Oregon there are NO RESTRICTIONS on the type of tip you use. Hunting geese in Oregon with a bow, is within the law.

I see that goose and think that it is too bad that the hunter lost his game. NO BIG DEAL. Daily bag limits are set off by waterfowl numbers given to the states by the feds. They have daily bag limits knowing that there will be cripples that the hunter does not bag and will die later.

The only difference between this goose with the arrow in his head and a goose that got BB's in his breast is that the arrow is visible. Without human interference both will die.

Again, nothing against you but I don't think any hunter appreciates the liberal left media making all hunting methods sound unethical. There is a reason why Canada geese are considered a game bird and are more protected than most North American big game.

Poaching waterfowl is federal
    Wanton waste of game is federal
    Migratory bird treaty act of 1918 is a NORTH AMERICAN AGREEMENT including ALL of Central America.

7. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:
    thought about that but I sure like using my dog.

8. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I'm not the first one to post that video on this site.

As to the difference between BBs in a birds chest and an arrow sticking out of its head, it does exist. The difference is that the media can sensationalize the goose with the arrow sticking out of its head.

While I appreciate the desire to create a challenge for yourself, I don't think a bow belongs in the duck blind or in the goose field. First, more than likely you will be taking a shot at a moving target. Second, while geese offer a decent size target at close range and would probably be at the same difficulty level as a turkey, they have the ability to fly far distances making it impossible for you to track. Ducks offer an even smaller margin of error.

My .02

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Big stick, are you going to make that argument for deer, elk and every other species? Nobody wants to see a deer with an arrow sticking out and the only difference between that and a bullet lodged is that you can't see the bullet. Who are you to say a guy shouldnt do something that is deemed legal by state and federal agencies? Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Clyde... My personal experience is that flotation isn't much of a problem, I recommend using either really light arrows or arrows filled with a styrofoam substance. Your arrows will float nock up, flu flu fletchings are a must. The only tips I've used for birds are judo's, I havent killed enough to rate their performance.

10. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:

well I am green enough not to know what a "judo" is. I will be using google.

I didn't know that you could get styrofoam filled.

should this stuff be available at a local archery shop or sportsmans warehouse?

11. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know. It wouldn't matter either way.

Correct, that's what I wrote in my post

if you are worried about margin of error, I bet you have never bought a lottery ticket, entered in a raffle or contest. They are game birds and I don't hunt them for meat. Duck taste like rotten beef liver goose is just as bad. I hunt them for sport, so missing is fine by me.

thanks for your input. I am still taking my bow to the swamp. Not trying to be an @$$, just giving you a hard time.:moose:

12. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa, I'm not trying to start an argument here. What I said was just my opinion, and it's not going to change just because it is legal. I never told Clyde he shouldn't do it, I just said I didn't think it belonged. There are a few things that are legal that don't fit with my belief system. Are your beliefs only dictated by what is law? If that's the case, then who are you to question my right to free speech?
    On a serious note:

Why would I apply the same logic to deer that I would to a duck? None of the criteria that I listed match up. For instance, it would be hard to justify a shot with a bow on a deer that was moving at the same speed as a duck. Even then, the vital area on a waterfowl is much smaller than that of a deer. Lastly and probably most important, deer don't fly (even if they do run pretty fast).

I can't equate taking an animal's life to buying a raffle ticket. I got the vibe from your earlier post that you were a sport hunter but I didn't want to call you one and offend you if you weren't. This is just another place where our belief systems don't match up. I won't rant about my beliefs and won't put you down because of yours.

Good luck to you in your bowhunting this season.

13. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:
    taking an animals life is no problem for me. I do it as much as I can afford to.

If anyone says they waterfowl hunt for the meat, they are lying becuase it is much cheaper to buy the meat at the grocery store.

Most hunters are sport hunters. Just because you eat the meat doesn't mean you're not a sport hunter.

look at what we all spend on hunting every year with fuel, new equipment, new camo.....etc.

14. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The meat is a big reason why I duck hunt.

15. davydtune

davydtune Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used wood arrows, out of a longbow of course, with the big rubber blunts or the Snaro bird points.

16. davydtune

Dislikes Received:
    The Snaro point. It's the best for birds I've used but I've never shot a goose with one. I'm sure it will knock one out of the sky but I'm not too sure it would kill it unless you hit them just right. Works well on upland birds and ducks though.

Attached Files:

17. davydtune

Dislikes Received:
    These may work a little better

Attached Files:

18. davydtune

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe even try Magnus Bullheads or even Sonic Turkey Terrors. Definitely get some arrows with flu flu fletching so your arrows don't fly too far. Probably would help them float, initially anyhow.

19. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:
    It is required by Oregon law to use flu flu arrows. thanks.

I don't know what they are but I spend all winter on my boat and continually read the game bird regulations when the action is slow....lol

20. duckkillerclyde

Dislikes Received:
    do you think that it is a good price you pay for calls waders dogs boats fuel shells guns decoys stamps?

you could probably buy meat cheaper at the store.

Is duck hunting enjoyable to you?